Passport line

What cruise line are you referring to?  With RCCL and Celebrity, as example, there is no differentiation at check in.  Typically check in is done electronically in advance and pier check in is just a confirmation, but either way we have never experienced separate lines for documentation types with check in.  It all is checked by the same people via the same lines.  Besides your 5 yr old is too young for a passport anyway.

But if your cruise line requires separate lines I would have to believe that your 5 year old would stay with you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

What cruise line are you referring to?  With RCCL and Celebrity, as example, there is no differentiation at check in.  Typically check in is done electronically in advance and pier check in is just a confirmation, but either way we have never experienced separate lines for documentation types with check in.  It all is checked by the same people via the same lines.  Besides your 5 yr old is too young for a passport anyway.

But if your cruise line requires separate lines I would have to believe that your 5 year old would stay with you.

Thank you for your quick reply. carnival had separate lines when I went before without her. I'm sure your right about her not having to split off from me not matter which line I get in 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blessed2Cruz said:

Thank you for your quick reply. carnival had separate lines when I went before without her. I'm sure your right about her not having to split off from me not matter which line I get in 

Sometimes CBP will have a separate line at the end of the cruise for folks with passports, but this has nothing to do with any of the cruise lines themselves. If you get in the birth certificate line with her you would still just use your passport and the processing time will be about the same.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Sometimes CBP will have a separate line at the end of the cruise for folks with passports, but this has nothing to do with any of the cruise lines themselves. If you get in the birth certificate line with her you would still just use your passport and the processing time will be about the same.

Thank you so much 

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You know, if you asked me, I would say parents with pre-schoolers should get in whichever is the shorter line.  

I really don't know how CBP would react to this. My gut says they would just process the family and let it be. But then there could be that one officer with a chip that makes a big deal about it. 

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Besides your 5 yr old is too young for a passport anyway.

No...even a one day old child is technically eligible for a passport and in fact every child of any age needs one if traveling circumstances require a passport, such as an international airline flight.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No...even a one day old child is technically eligible for a passport and in fact every child of any age needs one if traveling circumstances require a passport, such as an international airline flight.

Great catch, can't believe I missed that.

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I really don't know how CBP would react to this. My gut says they would just process the family and let it be. But then there could be that one officer with a chip that makes a big deal about it. 

I think you are likely correct.  That would be the time to say "oops" and beg forgiveness!  🙂

I guess I'm old school when it comes to wanting to make life a little easier for folks with youngsters, the elderly, pregnant, disabled, etc.  I'm no spring chicken but still prone to offer up my seat.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I guess I meant one is not normally required for that age and didn't think that this was for international travel. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank you everyone I think I will do the safe thing and just get in line with birth certificate go from there I hate comfortation especially if someone perceived me doing the wrong thing with her in line with me without the proper documentation 

On 1/22/2024 at 2:00 PM, Blessed2Cruz said:

Thank you everyone I think I will do the safe thing and just get in line with birth certificate go from there I hate comfortation especially if someone perceived me doing the wrong thing with her in line with me without the proper documentation 

Two weeks ago we came in through Carnival's Long Beach CA terminal and it was also: "Passports left lane, birth certificates right lane..." instructions from right as we came into the building. Sure, the right lane was super short as we snaked through the terminal to get through a doorway into the "Immigration Zone", but here is where I think the difference kicks in: 

- (We were in the left lane as we all had passports [US and non-US] or Green Cards in our group); Anyway, as we came through the doorway there was a bank of turnstiles with glass-doors (think NYC city Underground turnstiles)... and all you did was stand in front of the camera/screen and it took your picture/scan and then a green-light lit to allow the person to pass when the turnstile slid open. There were no counters with agents like in the past in that zone. There were a few agents walking up and down to tell you which turnstile to take e.g. my son was under 18 and when I told the "roving" agent he said "Take these two next to each other as he is a minor". 

- I think that the right lane for the birth certificates might have gone to a desk with live agents so that they could check the paperwork manually. 

If you have the time and capacity I would consider getting your child a passport. Mine is on his second passport already. I adopted from foster-care, and I had promised him that "Once you are adopted then I will get you a passport and we can travel...". Two months after adoption the envelope arrived with the passport. I saw the remnants of the envelope when I got home and was told about the excitement when he had opened the envelope earlier!!! Two months later first cruise with his passport, and he is now a well-season traveler with a passport.  

10 hours ago, Starlight Durban Cruising said:

Two weeks ago we came in through Carnival's Long Beach CA terminal and it was also: "Passports left lane, birth certificates right lane..." instructions from right as we came into the building. Sure, the right lane was super short as we snaked through the terminal to get through a doorway into the "Immigration Zone", but here is where I think the difference kicks in: 

- (We were in the left lane as we all had passports [US and non-US] or Green Cards in our group); Anyway, as we came through the doorway there was a bank of turnstiles with glass-doors (think NYC city Underground turnstiles)... and all you did was stand in front of the camera/screen and it took your picture/scan and then a green-light lit to allow the person to pass when the turnstile slid open. There were no counters with agents like in the past in that zone. There were a few agents walking up and down to tell you which turnstile to take e.g. my son was under 18 and when I told the "roving" agent he said "Take these two next to each other as he is a minor". 

- I think that the right lane for the birth certificates might have gone to a desk with live agents so that they could check the paperwork manually. 

If you have the time and capacity I would consider getting your child a passport. Mine is on his second passport already. I adopted from foster-care, and I had promised him that "Once you are adopted then I will get you a passport and we can travel...". Two months after adoption the envelope arrived with the passport. I saw the remnants of the envelope when I got home and was told about the excitement when he had opened the envelope earlier!!! Two months later first cruise with his passport, and he is now a well-season traveler with a passport.  

Thank you for sharing and I will work on a passport for her there are a few hurdles with that but it will all work out again thank you so much