Smoking Area Britannia

Not looking for any judgement here please...

I'm aware that there is a partially covered smoking area on Deck 16 and a couple on Aft side of Deck 7 near Java/Live Lounge however I'm hearing rumours that when Britannia goes in for her refit in April that the smoking areas are being removed and not being relocated elsewhere?

My friend and I both enjoy having the occasional cigarette or vape (especially when drink is involved! 😂) so we'll be a little disappointed if that is the case... was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this or are a bit more "in the loop" than I am?

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, RebelWithoutAClue said:

I'm aware that there is a partially covered smoking area on Deck 16 and a couple on Aft side of Deck 7 near Java/Live Lounge however I'm hearing rumours that when Britannia goes in for her refit in April that the smoking areas are being removed and not being relocated elsewhere?

My friend and I both enjoy having the occasional cigarette or vape (especially when drink is involved! 😂) so we'll be a little disappointed if that is the case... was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this or are a bit more "in the loop" than I am?

Thanks 🙂

Much as I’d love to see ships that are 100% smoke and vape free, I strongly suspect that this is a false rumour. The smoking areas on ships now are extremely restricted so as to minimise the impact to the majority of passengers and, even as a passionate anti-smoker / anti-vaper, I would have to concede that P&O has it about right. They might change the designated areas, but especially with the market that P&O is now chasing I simply cannot see them stopping smoking or vaping altogether. 

• Like 2

I do wish they would change the smoking locations on Arvia and Iona, specifically the area on 18 forward.  The only access for a wheelchair user to the sun deck area on 19 forward is the lift located in that smoking area.  A terrible design flaw!😡

55 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I do wish they would change the smoking locations on Arvia and Iona, specifically the area on 18 forward.  The only access for a wheelchair user to the sun deck area on 19 forward is the lift located in that smoking area.  A terrible design flaw!😡

The same area on Iona seems to be quite sheltered, and the smoke hangs around, smells just like an old time billiard hall.

• Like 1

I don’t think they will fully stop this on ships, just reduce the areas.  Agree with the area of the lift, ridiculous place to put it. The smoking area could/should be moved around the corner. 
The smoking area at the aft of Iona is stupid too, ash trays fixed against the outer rail with chairs in front. Passengers just take up residence for the day and when the ash trays are full some just put their fag ends in the nearest almost empty glass 🤢

I am an occasional smoker (5 per day max) but hate the smoking areas. I always take a pocket ash tray on holiday in case the area is busy. My husband is a full time smoker and if they stopped it I would have to spend more time with him 😫

Did notice on Iona in June a lot of vapers not using the smoking areas and nothing was said to them.

• Like 1

I am a non-smoker and have never been tempted to try it but I am of the opinion that I have no reason to judge those who do smoke or vape, if they choose to waste money, endanger their lives and like the smell on their clothes that is their problem not mine.  I do however think that any companies who put up no smoking signs should make it clear that vaping is also banned and should enforce the ban.

• Like 6

I don't think they could stop providing smoking areas because of the behaviour that would result. On Iona last November the 2 small areas on deck 18 certainly led to increased smoking on balconies which is dangerous as cigarette ends can be blown back onto the ship and cause fires.

I was sitting on my deck 9 balcony late one evening enjoying a nightcap when a lighted cigarette end flew past my head and almost landed in my hair, having been flung from a balcony above me. I complained, and so did the family in the next door cabin, about this incident and also extinguished ends landing on our balconies and on the roof of the Olive Grove which is just beyond the edge of some of the deck 9 balconies. A visit from the Safety Officer followed, and I think they worked out which balcony was occupied by the smokers and paid them a visit, because it stopped after that. But if they took away any smoking area that sort of thing would inevitably happen more often.

Edited by Clodia
  • Like 4

Just now, Clodia said:

if they took away any smoking area that sort of thing would inevitably happen more often

I agree and that’s why I think the suggestion that the limited smoking areas will be removed is a false rumour. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:22 PM, MellyMoo1989 said:

Thanks 🙂

We are non smokers, but many have the need and enjoy it, so agree that sensibly placed areas should be provided. 

I hope they don't remove them as we are booked on Britannia soon after the refit with Michelle's elderly Dad and partner who both smoke. We have booked them as close to the smoking area (G deck aft) as we could get as they have limited mobility. 

Never thought I would say this, but fingers crossed they leave the smoking areas just where they are... 

Andy 

• Like 2