US Grills Drinks Promo Limit Increase

NE John

I just called Cunard to ask them if the $12 per drink limit for the US Grills Drinks Package Promo will increase to correspond with the general increases of drinks prices onboard and the rep told me that the Grills limit is indeed being raised to $13.50, matching the Premium Drinks Package. Even some of the glasses of Cunard brand wine are priced over $12. 
Has anyone onboard that is participating in this Promo see that limit increase yet? This is news to me. 
I also emailed Cunard to try to get this update in writing. 
Again, I know this US only promo is a burr in the side of some of our British CC friends but we still pay for the package via the overall fare in any case. 

• Like 4

Let's hope you talked to the right person.... I spoke to two before our September cruise and told the same thing. Spoke to a third and she said still $12. And that's what it was on the ship.

But yes, as it stands, it's a "incentive" that at $12 is no longer a value... I'd rather pay the lower UK market fares and buy my own package that actually covers the cost of a drink. The crew are fed up with it too but take out their frustration by "gaming" the system in your favour.  But who wants the hastle and incertainty.

And yes.. if you manage get this writing... do share!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Let's hope you talked to the right person.... I spoke to two before our September cruise and told the same thing. Spoke to a third and she said still $12. And that's what it was on the ship.

But yes, as it stands, it's a "incentive" that at $12 is no longer a value... I'd rather pay the lower UK market fares and buy my own package that actually covers the cost of a drink. The crew are fed up with it too but take out their frustration by "gaming" the system in your favour.  But who wants the hastle and incertainty.

And yes.. if you manage get this writing... do share!

I’m skeptical (and hopeful) too and will keep updates as I hear. But charging $12.30 for an Old Fashioned knowing it’s just right above the $12 limit is a just a wee-bit irksome. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It appeared to me (admittedly I didn't keep track in detail) that the $13.50 limit was actually honored on our December crossing; we seem to have been charged for only glasses of wine which clearly exceeded the limit (over $16, for example). In fact we got a refund after the fact which may have covered some of them.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

It appeared to me (admittedly I didn't keep track in detail) that the $13.50 limit was actually honored on our December crossing; we seem to have been charged for only glasses of wine which clearly exceeded the limit (over $16, for example). In fact we got a refund after the fact which may have covered some of them.

Great news and thanks for the input. To confirm - that was under the US Grills Drinks promo?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NE John said:

Great news and thanks for the input. To confirm - that was under the US Grills Drinks promo?  

Yes. But again, I didn't track it carefully - I didn't take note of the cost of each glass of wine she ordered, for example. I just noticed that a few showed up on our account then a week after the trip we got a refund (but I couldn't trace the refund directly to any combination of charges). Hence my use of the word "appeared".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My written response back from Cunard. This seems like a fair deal but I often feel that Cunard doesn’t know their own policies…:

The Princess grills still offers the same drink coverage cost of $12.00 per drink per person. The difference is covered by you. I will take your request to management for review. Thank you for contacting Cunard general inquiries, have a pleasant day.

Kindly,

Evelyn Parker

Cunard Customer Services

General Inquiries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This answer is misleading in itself... you don't "cover the difference" between $12.00 and the actual cost of the drink. You pay for it all... so much for "free drinks".  

If you have a booking, call back... complain about the false information and ask for $300 extra on board credit. You'll get it. I sure did.

Cunard doesn't need new apps or another ship... it needs everyone working in an office under one roof following the same policies and knowing what they are.  When I call Cunard in the U.S., I often rather talk to the cat in the lap of the person answering the phone. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

This answer is misleading in itself... you don't "cover the difference" between $12.00 and the actual cost of the drink. You pay for it all... so much for "free drinks".  

If you have a booking, call back... complain about the false information and ask for $300 extra on board credit. You'll get it. I sure did.

Cunard doesn't need new apps or another ship... it needs everyone working in an office under one roof following the same policies and knowing what they are.  When I call Cunard in the U.S., I often rather talk to the cat in the lap of the person answering the phone. 

I sent an email asking for clarification. All this is confusing. Last summer, you pay for the whole drink if over $12, and add service charge too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I often rather talk to the cat in the lap of the person answering the phone.

That would always be my preference. 🐱

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

...  When I call Cunard in the U.S., I often rather talk to the cat in the lap of the person answering the phone. 

I feel the same. I will no longer bother with that US office and I let my TA deal with them. They have given him incorrect information too. 

• Like 1

We are on M430 next fall on QM2 in QG. My TA checked with Cunard and this is what she sent me: « Your current package will include the drinks up to $13.50 per drink. It was also explained to me that if you purchase a drink that is over the cost of $13.50 you will pay the full cost of the drink minus a 20% discount since you have the drink package. »

The 20% is news to me, but I won’t object if that is the case! 😀

• Thanks 2

I just got another response from Cunard and now more confused!

"Drinks Package in the Grills applies up to $12 drinks. Drinks over $12 will be charged the full amount against the guest's folio"  

• Haha 1

So to sum up.... we have now three different responses from Cunard on this.  Only Cunard would maintain two different drink packages, one of which has a limit  that doesn't even cover 95% of the drinks.  And that's an "incentive" to folks paying the most per day of any of their passengers. Wow. 

Again, I'd rather they just offer the American market the lower UK market price and we just buy the drink package of our choice. Or none.

We all need a double after nailing Cunard's jello to the wall..... make mine a Pol Acker split.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My goal is that my emails and calls will force Cunard to: define what the US Grills drinks promo really is and bring the limit up to $13.50 or they spot the first $12 and we just pay the difference.  
Let’s see…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

And let's not forget that daily gratuities is also part of the QG promo for some fares. Does this also increase, to match the recent increase in daily gratuities?

Edited by CGspouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CGspouse said:

And let's not forget that daily gratuities is also part of the QG promo for some fares. Does this also increase, to match the recent increase in daily gratuities?

Yes. I confirmed via email that increased gratuities will be covered. Still no definitive answer on $12 limit coverage. I figure Cunard has bigger things going on with rescheduling World Cruises, gastrointestinal ills, and other fun and games. Cunard has been very responsive though and I appreciate that. I just wish they can formulate a drinks policy for their promo. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just called Customer service and I ordered a few extras for the  trip.  I asked about the Grills drink packages and he said the limit is 12$ not 13.50.  I asked why and of course he did not know why but it is what it is, yes?

That seems to me that they are being "pennywise pound foolish".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I just called Customer service and I ordered a few extras for the  trip.  I asked about the Grills drink packages and he said the limit is 12$ not 13.50.  I asked why and of course he did not know why but it is what it is, yes?

That seems to me that they are being "pennywise pound foolish".

And, of course, I deeply regret to say that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Cunard Shoreside may be wrong. 😀

My most recent email response regarding grills drink promo (this week):

“Thank you for your inquiry.  The limits on the Complimentary Drinks package have not changed, and remains at $12.00 and under.  

Most Sincerely,”

44 minutes ago, burnsva said:

My most recent email response regarding grills drink promo (this week):

“Thank you for your inquiry.  The limits on the Complimentary Drinks package have not changed, and remains at $12.00 and under.  

Most Sincerely,”

I got the same response. The frustrating point of this is that Cunard immediately covered the increased Service Charge for the Grills promo but is doing nothing via the Promo to adjust for the increased drinks prices onboard. At this point, Cunard’s Drinks promo should be replaced with a “bar tab” of say $X/day each for us to spend as we choose instead of giving us these silly price limits. So much easier to explain and administer to us. Anyway, we paying for this at the end of the day. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

I would prefer Cunard USA would simply offer the less expensive UK market fares which do not include anything... you pay for the drinks package that works for you, you pay the service charges etc.  Getting something "free" that is  now 90% worthless in terms of real cocktails and wine offerings is neither a benefit or an incentive.  It's frankly a nickel and dime insult when they ensure the price is "$12.30" and you pay for it all.  

I have been in touch with Cunard on this as well... not in terms of a query but a complaint so we'll see if "they" even bother to reply.  Meanwhile, the truly all inclusive deluxe lines seem all the more appealing by comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1