White Pass RR Seating

cruise*enthusiast

1 hour ago, cruise*enthusiast said:

I'm seeing pictures of the inside of the train and some seats look wooden and some seats look cushioned.  Can anyone weigh in on what seating styles are available and which cabins have cushioned seating?

We definitely had padded seats. They were quite comfortable. And each cabin had a small wood heater which made it quite comfortable in may. Full snow made the journey spectacular!

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

• Like 3

Our train cars had viewing platforms on either end of the train car.  Fellow travelers took turns on standing out there, before returning to their seats.  We were in the train late May and there was lots of snow as we ascended up the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 10:09 AM, rocklinmom said:

We booked the luxury class tickets, so I assume these are the big leather seats? And it is in the early morning so does anyone know what kind of "appetizers" they will serve? 

Last June we splurged on the luxury class. There are only 14 large swivel seats. The rear platform is twice the size of those in the regular coaches (which we have taken previously).  There are two wooden benches on this large platform. I don't know what is served on the early run. If you can switch to the later excursion the box of "goodies" is substantial and there is decent wine and beer offered. They used to serve the snacks buffet style, but even at low speeds it is a rough ride - especially in the last coach - so now the attendant brings the food around.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Last June we splurged on the luxury class. There are only 14 large swivel seats. The rear platform is twice the size of those in the regular coaches (which we have taken previously).  There are two wooden benches on this large platform. I don't know what is served on the early run. If you can switch to the later excursion the box of "goodies" is substantial and there is decent wine and beer offered. They used to serve the snacks buffet style, but even at low speeds it is a rough ride - especially in the last coach - so now the attendant brings the food around.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. We only have one option at 8am so I'm assuming breakfast would be mini muffins, danishes, etc. Doubt people would drink much alcohol that early in the morning other than mimosas. Thanks for the tip that it could be a rough ride, good to know! 

18 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. We only have one option at 8am so I'm assuming breakfast would be mini muffins, danishes, etc. Doubt people would drink much alcohol that early in the morning other than mimosas. Thanks for the tip that it could be a rough ride, good to know! 

My experience and that of friends with booking the luxury class is only with Cunard. At first they offer only the 8:00 a.m. train. As that fills up - and the luxury class sells out quickly -  they offered the later departure which is either 12:00 or 1:00 p.m.  Our friends re-booked when that happened in 2019. Last year we waited to book until the later departure was offered.

As you probably know the luxury class can only be booked through the cruise line. Not all cruise ships will have the luxury class coach available as there are only two of them. There are often four or five trains operated by the WP&Y, so only a lucky few can get the luxury coach.

As for the roughness, I don't mean to make it sound uncomfortable. It is fine when seated, but you will need to walk carefully to go to the "loo" at the front of the coach. My experience is that the other coaches are not as rough simply because the last coach on any train is a bit rougher.  (Walking around the rear lounge/dome car of VIA Rails' Canadian at 80 mph across the prairies is not easy on curves.)  I spent a lot of time on the rear platform but I sat most of the time on a bench rather than having to hold on tight to the railing.  

For anyone considering splurging on the luxury coach, it costs double the regular fare and it was worth every penny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have booked the white pass train trip directly with railway. It is little cheaper than through cruise. My question is , how the railway allocate seats for us? Will there be a reserved seats? How to select the best viewing side?

14 minutes ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

I have booked the white pass train trip directly with railway. It is little cheaper than through cruise. My question is , how the railway allocate seats for us? Will there be a reserved seats? How to select the best viewing side?

There was no assigned seating when we went previously. The best view on the train is on left when going up and right if going down. There are outside viewing platforms on each rail car that you can use. Opposite sides when travelling by road.