Panama Cruise (Cartegena) in March

JanNSteH

Hi, We are set for the PC cruise on the Beyond in March.  One of the stops will be Cartegena.  We've been seeing travel advisories from travelstate.gov labeling it as a Level 3 which is to reconsider travel, contains area with higher security risk.   For those that have traveled there, how has it been for you?  Did you feel at risk?  We did sign up for a ship sponsored excursion so I'm wondering if this is better less risky since we are traveling as a group and not out on our own.  Trying to get feedback from our cruise critics who have recently traveled there before I decide what to do. Go or cancel this excursion.  Any input would be helpful.  Thanks!

I did an independent tour of Cartegena. It was pretty good. You will be safe on a ship excursion or on a private independent tour. The only downer is that the street peddlers are obnoxious. About the most annoying I have encountered. The tour guide did her best to keep them away. So I would not do it on my own. 

• Like 3

We're probably on the same cruise, you might ask others on our roll call. We've booked Dora for our excursion as she gets high marks and you're with the guide and driver the entire time.

If you don't speak Spanish, I'd definitely do a guided tour. Also, most of the travel advisories often sound apocalyptic even though the places are actually quite safe. I know we had folks scared of getting off the ship in Mexico last April in Mazatlan, but we had no trouble, just grabbed a taxi and went. As a caveat, my husband speaks fluent Spanish and we've traveled all over, mostly self-guided. You have to do what you are comfortable with.

36 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We're probably on the same cruise, you might ask others on our roll call. We've booked Dora for our excursion as she gets high marks and you're with the guide and driver the entire time.

If you don't speak Spanish, I'd definitely do a guided tour. Also, most of the travel advisories often sound apocalyptic even though the places are actually quite safe.

I agree with you on travel advisories. 

We used Dora and I thought she was a great guide.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

If you don't speak Spanish, I'd definitely do a guided tour. Also, most of the travel advisories often sound apocalyptic even though the places are actually quite safe. I know we had folks scared of getting off the ship in Mexico last April in Mazatlan, but we had no trouble, just grabbed a taxi and went. As a caveat, my husband speaks fluent Spanish and we've traveled all over, mostly self-guided. You have to do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the tip.  I will go ahead and go on the roll call.  We are on the sailing leaving on March 11th.

I have been to Cartegena last year and will be there tomorrow.

If it is a ship tour it will probably be OK, especially in the old city.

However, lots of pushy vendors and probably pickpockets.

I don’t think I would do it on my own.

Not my favorite port.  Wish they would drop it.

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Does Celebrity stop in Cartagena on other than Panama Canal cruises?  They need to stop there for PC cruises to satisfy requirements of Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA).

I’m on a 12 night western Caribbean cruise that is stopping there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

I have been to Cartegena last year and will be there tomorrow.

If it is a ship tour it will probably be OK, especially in the old city.

However, lots of pushy vendors and probably pickpockets.

I don’t think I would do it on my own.

Not my favorite port.  Wish they would drop it.

It could be a great port but the pushy venders ruin it. Who the hell is buying that crap that makes it worthwhile for the venders to be in business? I never saw anyone buying. Seemed like there were two vendors to every tourist. 

13 hours ago, JanNSteH said:

Hi, We are set for the PC cruise on the Beyond in March.  One of the stops will be Cartegena.  We've been seeing travel advisories from travelstate.gov labeling it as a Level 3 which is to reconsider travel, contains area with higher security risk.   For those that have traveled there, how has it been for you?  Did you feel at risk?  We did sign up for a ship sponsored excursion so I'm wondering if this is better less risky since we are traveling as a group and not out on our own.  Trying to get feedback from our cruise critics who have recently traveled there before I decide what to do. Go or cancel this excursion.  Any input would be helpful.  Thanks!

I just stopped in Cartagena on a cruise last week (not on Celebrity).  i didn't get off the ship for three reasons - 1) I'd been there twice before, 2) it was sauna-like hot when we were there, and 3) flashbacks from encounters with pesky vendors.  They do have a nice zoo in the port area; this shot is from a previous visit.

IMG_20191104_123735400.thumb.jpg.59d7db84ab2a2d41057f01b94d55af44.jpg

I found the areas I visited in Cartagena safe enough.  I was on ship excursions both times.  You should be fine.  Enjoy your visit!

P.S.  Why does Cartagena get visited so much?  Location, location, location.  It happens to be a convenient distance away from the ABC islands and the Panama Canal.  Santa Marta isn't as well developed (I don't think) and is less developed as a tourist experience.  Barranquilla has a definite commercial and industrial focus and doesn't have Cartagena's history.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

We did a Celebrity excursion in Cartagena and the guide did a good job of keeping us safe but when they gave us "free time" in the old city it felt like ALL the vulture vendors descended upon us....would not get off the ship there again.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

We did a Celebrity excursion in Cartagena and the guide did a good job of keeping us safe but when they gave us "free time" in the old city it felt like ALL the vulture vendors descended upon us....would not get off the ship there again.  

We didn’t have that kind of free time on our independent tour. You should get off and do the zoo in the port area. Some interesting animals there and beautiful birds. There were some excursions outside of the city to bird sanctuary's. I have not vetted them but I will do diligent research on them if I am booked on another sailing that stops at Cartagena. 

• Thanks 1