Credit card charges pre-boarding

HMSDingy

We are sailing on the Island Princes this August and have not paid in full yet. My question relates to booking excursions and/or specialty dining before boarding. Will the charges show up right away on my credit card or will they be on our shipboard account to be paid at the end of our cruise? 

You don't really have the excursion "booked" until you pay for it. Your card will be charged at that time. If you don't pay for it before boarding the excursion may well be full and you will not be participating.  Alternately, if you have OBC available you can use that to pay for excursions in advance.

Edited by Thrak

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You don't really have the excursion "booked" until you pay for it. Your card will be charged at that time. Alternately, if you have OBC available you can use that to pay for excursions in advance.

My use of the word book is to place a reservation.That's what I figured that you pay when you reserve Thanks.

Edited by HMSDingy

As others have stated, your credit card is charged immediately for shore excursions and specialty dining. If you have an on board credit, it can be used for shore excursions but not for specialty dining. 

For pre-cruise excursions your credit card is charged at the time of booking.  The amount is refundable if you cancel within the allowed cancellation period. Any OBC in your account at the time of booking can be used for pre-booking excursions.

For specialty dining your credit card is charged at the time of booking. OBC is not an option for pre-booked dining. There is a cancellation period for a refund, not certain regarding the timing. For included specialty dining provided with full suites or the premier fare it has been reported that you can receive a credit once on board. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the responses. I'm rather embarrassed to ask this question as we are Platinum and should know better but to be honest, we've always booked once onboard.

2 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Thanks to all of you for the responses. I'm rather embarrassed to ask this question as we are Platinum and should know better but to be honest, we've always booked once onboard.

We'd rather book onboard too. Then you can pay for them with Princess Gift Cards purchased from AARP. However with the more popular excursions selling out and excursion prices going up as the sailing date approaches, we find ourselves booking more and more in advance.

It is possible to pay for excursions in advance using Gift Cards but it's a PITA. You have to book without paying and then call inside the grace period, hoping and praying you get a competent rep on the phone that knows how to pay for excursions with Gift Cards.

Edited by beg3yrs