New to Norwegian - Breakaway September 15, 2024

cal64

Husband and I are seasoned cruisers but new to Norwegian. I know these questions have probably been asked a thousand times but this is a new cruise line to us.  A drink package is included in our package. We are not heavy drinkers but is there a limit on how many per day?  How does this is the free-style dining?  We just decide which dining room and just walk in?  We also have two specialty dining options.  Do we reserve now or is it too early?  What about the shows?  Do we need to reserve them as well?  Reading different posts trying to get a feel for the ship.  We have 6 ports and won't book an excursion except for maybe one or two.  We also have $50 credit for shore excursions per person.  I'm sure that's just for one right?  Parking at the Manhattan terminal?  Cost?  Reservation required?  Any help, tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!

We are not heavy drinkers but is there a limit on how many per day? No limit, 2 drinks per card about every 5 minutes.

How does this is the free-style dining?  We just decide which dining room and just walk in? Yes, There are several main dining rooms depending on the ship, walk up when you want to. Peak times sometimes will have a short wait. 

We also have two specialty dining options.  Do we reserve now or is it too early? Reservations can be made 120 days out from sailing, Haven cabins can make reservations out 125 days

Reading different posts trying to get a feel for the ship.  We have 6 ports and won't book an excursion except for maybe one or two.  We also have $50 credit for shore excursions per person.  I'm sure that's just for one right?  So I have Cruised the Breakaway several times and it is one of my favorite ships. Love the Layout of the ship. The $50 shore excursion credit is only for the 1st person in the cabin, not for all. 

Parking at the Manhattan terminal?  Cost?  Reservation required?  Only thing I can say is I believe Manhattan has one of the most expensive parking out of any cruise terminal. Check the NCL forums or look up online for daily rates. 

Can you let us know the itinerary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cal64 said:

Husband and I are seasoned cruisers but new to Norwegian. I know these questions have probably been asked a thousand times but this is a new cruise line to us.  A drink package is included in our package. We are not heavy drinkers but is there a limit on how many per day?  How does this is the free-style dining?  We just decide which dining room and just walk in?  We also have two specialty dining options.  Do we reserve now or is it too early?  What about the shows?  Do we need to reserve them as well?  Reading different posts trying to get a feel for the ship.  We have 6 ports and won't book an excursion except for maybe one or two.  We also have $50 credit for shore excursions per person.  I'm sure that's just for one right?  Parking at the Manhattan terminal?  Cost?  Reservation required?  Any help, tips would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Come over to the NCL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

for all the NCL info you will ever need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cal64 said:

Thanks!

A drink package is included in our package. We are not heavy drinkers but is there a limit on how many per day? 

The drink package covers the first $15 of every drink. (We have never exceeded that amount). If you do exceed $15, you pay the difference + gratuities on the difference. So a $16 drink will cost you $1.00 + $0.20 gratuity = $1.20. There is a limit of 2 drinks at a time. No limit on the total number of drinks a day.

How does this is the free-style dining?  We just decide which dining room and just walk in? 

You show up to a Main Dining Room when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. There are three MDRs. The Manhattan Room is the largest at the stern of the ship. There is live music during dinner. Taste and Savor are the smaller MDRs. They all serve the same menu. Peak dinner time (around 6:30) there may be a short wait. You are seated at the first available table. 

We also have two specialty dining options.  Do we reserve now or is it too early? 

Specialty dining reservations open 120 days prior to departure (130 if you are in the Haven Suites or 125 if you are in a Club Balcony). 120 days on your countdown at midnight eastern time. Popular restaurants at popular times (e.g., Sea Days 5:30-7:00) will sell out. 

What about the shows?  Do we need to reserve them as well? 

NCL has been moving away from show reservations. If they accept pre-cruise reservations, you can do that exactly 21 days prior to departure. You also do your online check-in 21 days prior to departure, midnight eastern time, when you pick your port arrival time. Early port check-in times will sell out in a few hours. Otherwise, you can check as son as you embark. 

Reading different posts trying to get a feel for the ship.  We have 6 ports and won't book an excursion except for maybe one or two.  We also have $50 credit for shore excursions per person.  I'm sure that's just for one right? 

You get a $50 discount per excursion for Passenger 1 on the reservation. 

Any help, tips would be appreciated. 

Here's my live post from the Breakaway. You can get an idea (from the Freestyle Dailies) on what goes on the ship. 

• Like 1

Welcome to NCL CC board.

Just note: in 7 NCL cruises in 24 months, we have only once seen a couple told that they would NOT be served any more drinks, nor could any of their friends supply them drinks.  We don't know what behavior prompted this, but you can get lots of drinks, if you so desire and act civilly.   This will also include a mid-level wine choice in MDR or specialty dining.

Getting to know bartenders will help in your overall experience. 

Free style dining.  Actually you check in with your room card at a small podium, the same as most land based restaurants.   Mid September will be a good time, school is in session, peak vacation time is passed.  Ship maybe crowded, but will be an older group of people.  Wait times should be less, except for dinner on embarkation day, when everyone tends to eat at the same time.

Specialty dining.  We recommend Le Bistro (French) and what ever you might like.  Cagney's (Steak) reservations go fast, but we think it is not as great as some say.  

Shows.  You only need reservations for the production shows in the main theater.  Note: a reservation simply gets you in the door before general seating (10 minutes before show time).  It does NOT get you an assigned seat.  Depending on the popularity of the show, the best seats fill up 40 minutes before the start, although 90% of the seats have good stage views and sound.

Any other entertainment is first come, first serve.  Watch the dailies for times and locations.

Shore excursions.   $50 credit is for 1 person per room, per port.  Factor this in.  Sometimes a simple tour is around $50, so when two go, you will only spend $50 because of the credit.  That may sway you to do excursions at more ports than you are planning.

You should get a Latitudes number with your reservation.  Go to NCL.com and register to be able to do all of the things pre-cruise that people are mentioning.  You can also then download the NCL app, if you desire. 

Don't expect a lot from the ship internet connection, and you will be happy. 

Use the search box here for specific subjects that have been discussed many times.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 10:38 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

Welcome to NCL CC board.

Just note: in 7 NCL cruises in 24 months, we have only once seen a couple told that they would NOT be served any more drinks, nor could any of their friends supply them drinks.  We don't know what behavior prompted this, but you can get lots of drinks, if you so desire and act civilly.   This will also include a mid-level wine choice in MDR or specialty dining.

Getting to know bartenders will help in your overall experience. 

Free style dining.  Actually you check in with your room card at a small podium, the same as most land based restaurants.   Mid September will be a good time, school is in session, peak vacation time is passed.  Ship maybe crowded, but will be an older group of people.  Wait times should be less, except for dinner on embarkation day, when everyone tends to eat at the same time.

Specialty dining.  We recommend Le Bistro (French) and what ever you might like.  Cagney's (Steak) reservations go fast, but we think it is not as great as some say.  

Shows.  You only need reservations for the production shows in the main theater.  Note: a reservation simply gets you in the door before general seating (10 minutes before show time).  It does NOT get you an assigned seat.  Depending on the popularity of the show, the best seats fill up 40 minutes before the start, although 90% of the seats have good stage views and sound.

Any other entertainment is first come, first serve.  Watch the dailies for times and locations.

Shore excursions.   $50 credit is for 1 person per room, per port.  Factor this in.  Sometimes a simple tour is around $50, so when two go, you will only spend $50 because of the credit.  That may sway you to do excursions at more ports than you are planning.

You should get a Latitudes number with your reservation.  Go to NCL.com and register to be able to do all of the things pre-cruise that people are mentioning.  You can also then download the NCL app, if you desire. 

Don't expect a lot from the ship internet connection, and you will be happy. 

Use the search box here for specific subjects that have been discussed many times.

Great info.  Thank you!

On 2/7/2024 at 6:41 PM, BirdTravels said:

A drink package is included in our package. We are not heavy drinkers but is there a limit on how many per day? 

The drink package covers the first $15 of every drink. (We have never exceeded that amount). If you do exceed $15, you pay the difference + gratuities on the difference. So a $16 drink will cost you $1.00 + $0.20 gratuity = $1.20. There is a limit of 2 drinks at a time. No limit on the total number of drinks a day.

How does this is the free-style dining?  We just decide which dining room and just walk in? 

You show up to a Main Dining Room when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. There are three MDRs. The Manhattan Room is the largest at the stern of the ship. There is live music during dinner. Taste and Savor are the smaller MDRs. They all serve the same menu. Peak dinner time (around 6:30) there may be a short wait. You are seated at the first available table. 

We also have two specialty dining options.  Do we reserve now or is it too early? 

Specialty dining reservations open 120 days prior to departure (130 if you are in the Haven Suites or 125 if you are in a Club Balcony). 120 days on your countdown at midnight eastern time. Popular restaurants at popular times (e.g., Sea Days 5:30-7:00) will sell out. 

What about the shows?  Do we need to reserve them as well? 

NCL has been moving away from show reservations. If they accept pre-cruise reservations, you can do that exactly 21 days prior to departure. You also do your online check-in 21 days prior to departure, midnight eastern time, when you pick your port arrival time. Early port check-in times will sell out in a few hours. Otherwise, you can check as son as you embark. 

Reading different posts trying to get a feel for the ship.  We have 6 ports and won't book an excursion except for maybe one or two.  We also have $50 credit for shore excursions per person.  I'm sure that's just for one right? 

You get a $50 discount per excursion for Passenger 1 on the reservation. 

Any help, tips would be appreciated. 

Here's my live post from the Breakaway. You can get an idea (from the Freestyle Dailies) on what goes on the ship. 

Excellent information.  Thank you!

On 2/7/2024 at 3:48 PM, mjkacmom said:

$45 per day, very easy, you can see your vehicle from the ship. I think they now take reservations but as far as I know they’ve never run out of parking.

Thank you for the info!