Iceland extension Blue Lagoon

Ceegeefl

We go to the Blue Lagoon on our Iceland precruise extension .I'm wondering if there is anything special we need to bring with us besides a bathing suit such as a towel, etc? Any tips about the Blue Lagoon,Viking's extension or the Hilton Nordica including restaurants would be greatly appreciated!

When are you going to the Blue Lagoon?  BL is currently closed because of the nearby volcano eruption.  As I understand the highway from Reykjavik is blocked by a lava flow.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WisRiver said:

When are you going to the Blue Lagoon?  BL is currently closed because of the nearby volcano eruption.  As I understand the highway from Reykjavik is blocked by a lava flow.

I hadn't heard about the highway being closed due to lava.  The Blue Lagoon had reopened after the initial eruption died down, but closed again yesterday due to new volcanic activity.  There website says they will remain closed at least until tomorrow.  It seems that for the foreseeable future, any trip to the Blue Lagoon will be conditional upon the whims of the volcano🙁

there was a new eruption in the last 48 hours.  It has died down but has done a fair amount of damage to some infrastructure.

To answer your question a bathing suit is all you need.

make good use of the hair conditioner before going in the water.  

Not sure how forward planning your are, but Blue Lagoon may be open or closed at a moments notice.  RUV dot is/english is a good news source site

1 hour ago, WisRiver said:

Our trip isn't until May. I'm looking forward to the Blue Lagoon but wouldn't be too disappointed to miss it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

there was a new eruption in the last 48 hours.  It has died down but has done a fair amount of damage to some infrastructure.

To answer your question a bathing suit is all you need.

make good use of the hair conditioner before going in the water.  

Not sure how forward planning your are, but Blue Lagoon may be open or closed at a moments notice.  RUV dot is/english is a good news source site

Thank you for the news source!  I'll keep an eye on it.

Just read about the conditioner last night and will definitely do that

1 hour ago, Ceegeefl said:

Any tips about the Blue Lagoon

You will get a wrist band when you arrive.  The wrist band will lock/unlock your locker.  It is possible that your package may include a mud mask and one drink.  You swim/walk up to the mask station and the bar to get these and they will tap the wrist band.  If you wish, you can purchase additional items (different types of masks or drinks) using the wrist band.

The Blue Lagoon has a café and several restaurants.  We ate at the Lava Restaurant, which overlooked the lagoon.

I agree that the hair conditioner is a must before and after going in the water. 

• Like 1

The Hilton is a large hotel that is somewhat removed from "downtown".  In the summer, it runs at near capacity, so be prepared to wait for a while before you can get into your room.  You can start the check-in process and wait until you are called.  Or dump your luggage and go exploring.

You'll be taking taxis to get anywhere "off property", or you can take the local bus that runs in front of the hotel.

The hotel has an extensive breakfast buffet -- not sure if your rate will include that.

Browse the local publication The Grapevine for English-language stories on things happening in town. 

https://grapevine.is/

Pro tip:  Alcohol is quite expensive in Iceland.  Take advantage of the numerous happy hours that are offered around town.  Also, stop in at the duty-free on arrivals at KEF next to the baggage claim.  Much cheaper, plus you can pick up some distinctly special Icelandic liquors, including unique gins and berry liqueurs.

• Like 1

The Nordica is a nice hotel, but not centrally located. There are some okay restaurants in the area, but we took the bus (the hotel use to give you a transportation pass) to downtown for dinner. If you are eligible, the Executive Suite is one of the best I have encountered.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

The Nordica is a nice hotel, but not centrally located. There are some okay restaurants in the area, but we took the bus (the hotel use to give you a transportation pass)

The Nordica no longer provides passes.

38 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

If you are eligible, the Executive Suite is one of the best I have encountered.

It's nice, but there are many, many more that are quite nicer.  No great loss if you don't get access (which is unlikely unless you have paid for the upgraded executive room or are a Hilton Diamond).  Hilton Gold rarely gets access in the summer.

• Like 1

Agree on location of the hotel.  But if you’re doing independent tours, there’s no problem getting picked up there.  In downtown you may have to go to another location to meet the tour.  If you need a meal and are travel weary there’s a cafeteria type restaurant nearby.  The kind  « where locals eat ».  There was a table full of local police when we were there.  Go out the front of the Nordica, turn right then turn right at the next corner.  Go up the hill, crossing to the other side when you can.  IIRC, the place is a couple of blocks, close to the top but a little hard to identify.  Food was basic comfort food but good and reasonably priced.  Sorry, can’t remember the name.

• Like 1

Blue lagoon is nice. Hard to believe they have built such a successful tourist destination from the effluent of a geothermal plant. Yes, the Blue Lagoon is the "waste water" from a geothermal plant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

Blue lagoon is nice. Hard to believe they have built such a successful tourist destination from the effluent of a geothermal plant. Yes, the Blue Lagoon is the "waste water" from a geothermal plant.

And a thinly disguised tourist trap. Notice how they don't advertise "soak in our wastewater and put our mud on your face,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you do get to the Blue Lagoon it’s essential to remember your locker number and exactly what part of the changing rooms you came out of. I couldn’t find my locker for a long time wrapped in a towel  😂and panic started to set in!!

3 hours ago, cruisinchrissy said:

If you do get to the Blue Lagoon it’s essential to remember your locker number and exactly what part of the changing rooms you came out of. I couldn’t find my locker for a long time wrapped in a towel  😂and panic started to set in!!

😅That sounds so much like me!  I will definitely remember this tip

• Like 1