Do I have to get a Medallion?

Wanderfully

5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

You're right. It would be safer to stay home. I mean, come on now. You're really reaching here. There's a "window of risk" in everything we do.

Say a ship is 1,000 feet long. There are 12 passenger decks. Port and starboard sides. 12,000 feet to traverse, round about 2.5 miles. Without security noticing some weirdo walking every deck. I could lose my keys at the supermarket and be victimized in a comparable scenario at home. Someone could find me keys, locate my car, find the registration, drive to my house, steal my stuff, all before the ~50 minutes it would take the average person to walk the ship searching for my cabin.

I agree- the crime rate onboard is trivial compared to on land.  31 million passengers sailed last year.  How many crimes did you hear about?

A handful?

No. You should be able to get a key card once onboard. Princess does offer MedallionPay in select shops in some ports. I believe you get 5% cash back in the form of onboard credit if you use MedallionPay vs a credit card. It’s also just kind of fun to play games on the walls with the medallion. Personally for me it’s a game changer but I also like the idea of Ocean Now and the Medallion App. I get it’s not for everyone. 

Edited by happycruiser7

I found a key card on a cushion in the Piazza yesterday, so they do have them. I turned it into the waitress in that area.  
Great Super Bowl, but I was bummed to find out that they did away with sports betting this year.  I did well last year, and I was ready to bet on KC again. 😊🏈

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

If Medallions are really that great, more passengers will want to purchase one than not.  Also cruise cards cost cents to manufacture.  Factoring in the battery and the chip, Medallions probably cost $5 to manufacture. 

I've seen some breakdowns from electrical engineers and it's more like $1.25 for a medallion.

I do see people conflating the Medallion with the App. Most (all) of the cruise lines have an app now but don't have a medallion. So even if Princess hadn't decided to move to medallions instead of cruise cards, they'd definitely still have an app.

• Like 2

We went on our first Princess cruise this past December, and I enjoyed using the Medallion and all its features. No worrying about remembering to take it along or losing it, we both kept it on our wrists. Used it to order drinks all over the ship, worked flawlessly with the app. Do other cruise lines use anything similar? 

• Like 1

If for whatever reason you don't want your Medallion to be read for a period of time, I would think you could enclose it in the silver "read prevention" bag that you get when you have an EZ-Pass or other highway toll payment device.

There are always some folks who resist new technology for various reasons.  At some point they find that resisting change creates lots of "issues" for themselves, but some do continue their crusade.  We have one friend who loves horses and still rants about the evils of cars (she would prefer to ride everywhere).  We used to know one frequent traveler (they no longer are able to travel) who refused to use credit cards.  They would pay for airline tickets with cash, but that got them flagged for secondary inspection by TSA/security every time they flew and once caused them to miss a flight because of inspection delays.  They also discovered that it is impossible to check-in to some hotels without a credit card and also impossible to rent a car from most agencies.

So now we get to the Medallion issue.  We do agree with some of the OP's comments, especially about the amount of time/money spent by Princess to implement this particular technology.  But at the current time, cruising on a Princess ship without a Medallion (assuming they can still make you a card) will likely cause lots of inconvenience to the cruiser.  It may well start at embarkation when they likely do not even have the ability to make a card at the embarkation counter.  The OP will likely have a long wait until they find someplace they can still make a card (which may now be only at Guest Relations...onboard).  Many of the functions/services onboard will not work with a card (such as the smart screens, daily prizes on the door panels (that got us a free high end wine tasting on our Sky Princess cruise).  And then there will be the likely delays everytime the op wants to depart or board the ship (at ports) since the security folks rely on Medallion scanners.  Without that technology they will generally pull folks aside while somebody has to manually enter information into a keyboard to pull up the passengers info.  

As bars it may or may not matter as we found on our recent Sky Princess cruise.  At some bars, the staff preferred to simply ask folks their name and cabin numbers.  But at other bars they were were using the Medallion.

The OP better brace themself for the new facial recognition technology being implemented at most airports and the cruise ports.  In fact, when we disembarked the Sky Princess at Port Everglades we were quickly through the CBP check without even stopping to show our Passports.  Facial ID worked well,  For folks where it did not work, and for one couple we witnessed refusing to be scanned by a camera (can you even do this?) they simply got shuttled aside into a long line (mostly for non-US folks not in the facial recognition system) where they had a long wait (I would estimate about 15 min) for their turn to speak to a live CBP agent.

I actually think that Princess wasted a lot of money on the Medallions, which is already becoming obsolete technology.   It will not be long until facial id replaces lots of things.  On ships, there will be a time (probably not in the too distant feature) where facial ID will replace the medallions and be used for just about everything.  I cannot believe how fast this facial id technology is being implemented in the travel world (especially at airports).  Along with smartphone technology, this is taking over the world.  My goodness, we now get a discount at many HIlton-brand hotels for simply using our smartphones as our room key!  No need to even stop at the front desk.   Just walk in a hotel, go to our room, and our phone opens the door!  Still want a key?  No problem.  You wait in a queue at the front desk, finally get a clerk, get your old fashioned key card. and lose a discount!  

As frequent international travelers/cruisers we have learned to accept all the new technology.  The cost for resisting is, at best, delays (sometimes long delays), and sometimes refusal.  And my friend who prefers her horses can no longer ride on nearby roads because of minimum speed limites :).  Those who want to use candles for light (because they reject light bulbs) are out of luck on cruise ships (no open flames allowed) or risk tripping smoke detectors!  Times have indeed changed.

I recently mentioned (in another post) about an upcoming trip where we will spend a few weeks doing driving in Europe.  It was impossible to reserve a rental car without a credit card!  I no longer need to carry my various European map books (which weigh many pounds) since all I need is our working Smart Phones which handle just about everything from tolls to GPS functions!  In fact, with phones we are reaching a point where we no longer need to carry a wallet, credit cards, or cash.  That darn phone works for just about everything (until the battery dies).

Hank

On 2/10/2024 at 9:56 PM, Wanderfully said:

Actually, never mind!  I just saw a similar question posed last Thursday at 7:23 with an answer from EM who said that you can ask for a key card if you want one. Thank you for such a clear response also SXC22. 

You might be causing yourself some real "issues."  The Princess ships are designed to function with the use of the Medallions.  If you want a "key card" at embarkation it is very likely that they cannot even produce such a card in the terminal.  Assuming they would grant your request it could easily involve a long wait (for you) while somebody had to go to the Guest Relations office (onboard) where they may still be able to produce a card.  There are also multiple onboard functions that only work with Medallions (such as the smart screens, some of the systems at the various bars, etc.  

Give it a try and please post how it goes :).  Not sure why you want to make your cruise experience more difficult (for you) but in some ways what you are asking is like asking for candles instead of a light bulb.  Also understand that just getting on and off the ship at ports can be more difficult with a card.  The security staff have medallion readers at all the stations, but a card is different technology and would need to be scanned....somewhere!  

We remember being on a couple of Princess cruises as they were implementing the medallions, and the problems were sometimes comical.  But times have changed, the technology is quite good, and the medallions do work.  The good news, for you, is that the staff (especially at the bars) are still usually OK with just asking for your cabin number and name.  But in other cases they expect the medallion.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Outerdog said:

You're right. It would be safer to stay home. I mean, come on now. You're really reaching here. There's a "window of risk" in everything we do.

Say a ship is 1,000 feet long. There are 12 passenger decks. Port and starboard sides. 12,000 feet to traverse, round about 2.5 miles. Without security noticing some weirdo walking every deck. I could lose my keys at the supermarket and be victimized in a comparable scenario at home. Someone could find me keys, locate my car, find the registration, drive to my house, steal my stuff, all before the ~50 minutes it would take the average person to walk the ship searching for my cabin.

Exactly!

This actually happened to me during the pandemic shut down. I was still working in the office. Someone waited for me to step away from my desk and took my keys from my desk (which I usually keep locked up but forgot to that time), quickly found my car in the parking lot, stole it, and in less than an hour was knocking on my front door. Luckily my partner was home sick and scared them off when he answered the door thank goodness.

You're absolutely right that risk is everywhere. Even without the Medallion someone could pretty easily overhear you saying your cabin number at a bar or dining room. And even though I know crimes do happen on cruise ships there are cameras almost everywhere. I travel solo often (land and sea) and feel safer alone on a cruise than any other place. I do pay attention to my surroundings and stay aware of anyone that seems out of place or creepy but that's true of anywhere I would go. All in all, I don't think the Medallions introduce any significant extra risk but have several benefits. A win in my book. 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CruiseMob said:

I have my first cruise with medallion coming up. If I had known a key card was still an option I may have opted for it instead. My concerns with the medallion have to do with its proximity based unlocking of cabin door. Sounds like a great idea if you have your hands full, but a couple of scenarios concern me.

1) It used to be if you lost your card, no worries. Someone finding the card would have to insert it in each door to see where it fit, which would look really suspicious. Now someone can just walk the decks slowly past the doors and hear the door unlock and see the panel. Yes I know, once reported the old one can be disabled, but there is still a window of risk.

2) When walking alone, maybe late at night, back to your cabin, if you are uncomfortable someone is following you, you could just keep walking to public/populated place and no one would know your stateroom. Now they may be able to determine which stateroom is yours as you walk past.

People can scoff, but cruises are like little cities and bad things unfortunately can and do still happen.

1- if lost you Track it ! no one would slowly do anythong it will be found in the blink of an eye 

2- its not the slums, you pass 16 crew on the way back ? I have not heard of to many kidnappings As you describe on board , no matter the size of the ship theres really no where to go ? to hide because with the medalion comes tracking 

The wearable Medallion as a door-opener, ID device, and location tracker is a good thing.  This tech, and even more innovative technology, is here to stay and reverting back to key cards is looking backwards.

The Medallion, yes, does help measure utilization of spaces, absolutely helpful for future improvements in services and ship design (and, sure, Princess revenue opportunities)....and no, you can't just simply count numbers of drinks sold at a bar, lounge, Piazza, whatever, as it doesn't tell the full story of numbers of people hanging out and reading and relaxing without buying anything.

The (poorly named) Medallion app is helpful as well, for scheduling, ordering, reviewing your folio, etc.  Me? I don't use it throughout the day as I don't want to carry my phone around.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate it.  I do reference it when I'm back in the room, to check any number of things, like when my excursion is scheduled or when my next dining reservation will be, etc.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:05 PM, Wanderfully said:

Is it still possible to take my paperwork and passport, show up at the port at 1pm and get a key card and start my relaxing vacation on Princess? 

My last cruise was in 2018 and I have nothing I need to reserve and have no packages of any kind. Since I've only cruised with Princess 8 times, I'm not loyal enough for anything so not concerned about tiers or colors.

We’ve used the Medallion since 2018. That’s when it first came out and loved it.

It has improved quite a lot since then, but I can’t imagine going back to a card.

It makes it so easy to get on/off the ship, into your room, walking up to the coffee bar to order a drink or the bar.  

I hope you will just try it and see what you think.  

Enjoy your cruise!

I have a pacemaker and the medallion does not affect it. The only thing that cannot be utilized with a pacemaker is the scanner when returning from port. You have to tell them you have a pacemaker and then they will use a hand scanner. 

On 2/10/2024 at 10:51 PM, SCX22 said:

You have no choice but to accept the Medallion presented to you by the port agents at check-in.  The port agents have no access to the software/machine that will program cruise cards.  The Medallions already come pre-personalized and pre-programmed; all the port agents job is to confirm that you have presented the correct documentation and activate the Medallion by pressing a box on their tablet.  When you get on board, you can go to Guest Services and request that your Medallion be deactivated and swapped out for a cruise card.  TBH, it's a toss up if GS will swap out your Medallion.  They refused my cruise card request on the Enchanted in November 2023 and Emerald Princess in January 2024, citing that they were out of blank cruise cards.  Up until then, I was able to do the swap with no problems.  Not sure why the change because the crew still use crew cards to exit/enter the ship and open their cabins.  Don't know what will happen if you say that you have a pacemaker because it's stated that the magnet in the Medallion can interfere with pacemakers.  YMMV.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 7:05 PM, Wanderfully said:

Is it still possible to take my paperwork and passport, show up at the port at 1pm and get a key card and start my relaxing vacation on Princess? 

My last cruise was in 2018 and I have nothing I need to reserve and have no packages of any kind. Since I've only cruised with Princess 8 times, I'm not loyal enough for anything so not concerned about tiers or colors.

You seem to be jumping to a lot of negative conclusions based, I'm guessing, on things you have read since you have not experienced Princess since 2018.  

You have already received a lot of info on how the medallion works and might be of benefit. 

Understanding your issues, my advice would be to collect the medallion at check-in then think of it and use it exactly like you would the old key card.  Except for being round instead of rectangular, it will do the exact same thing as your old key card.  Ignore functions you don't want to use.  Then hopefully there will be much happiness.  

BTW, I know you likely don't care, but if you have 8 Princess cruises you would be Platinum level. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, CruiseMob said:

I never said anyone should stay home. You're right there is risk in everything, even staying home. People have different experiences and different comfort levels. That's why everyone should be mindful of their own comfort level of safety and not be scoffed at or mocked by others. Have you ever been alone and followed? It can be scary.

I listed 2 concerns, not show stoppers. Obviously I'm still going and with the medallion but that doesn't mean I can't also consider risk.

That's totally fair. If it helps at all, I travel alone frequently - sometimes to and through very remote areas with no cell service so staying aware and taking precautions is a top priority for me - and overall I feel that the Medallion provides more privacy and security from risks posed by other guests than the old key card. Those had all kinds of info on them. Didn't they even list your cabin number? Losing that was a far scarier prospect to me than losing a medallion.

And I do stay aware of who is close by as I approach my room just in case. I personally take comfort in the tons of cameras and pretty much ever present crew. 

Now the medallions do provide lots of info to crew but that worries me far less. 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

That's totally fair. If it helps at all, I travel alone frequently - sometimes to and through very remote areas with no cell service so staying aware and taking precautions is a top priority for me - and overall I feel that the Medallion provides more privacy and security from risks posed by other guests than the old key card. Those had all kinds of info on them. Didn't they even list your cabin number? Losing that was a far scarier prospect to me than losing a medallion.

And I do stay aware of who is close by as I approach my room just in case. I personally take comfort in the tons of cameras and pretty much ever present crew. 

Now the medallions do provide lots of info to crew but that worries me far less. 🙂

Remember in the old days we had keys to our cabins that actually had the cabin number printed on it

Edited by memoak

On 2/11/2024 at 12:07 PM, HotRoot said:

I travel with my husband and I always know where he is if he is not next to me.

I, on the other hand, find it immensely useful to be able to find my DH, DS and my parents on a Princess ship. We are not always joined at the hip and don't always know where everyone is. Once my kid was able to find me on Enchanted when I was away from the family.

There have been many times when I wished there was a similar device on RCI's Oasis class because I spent a lot of time trying to locate my family members.

I also love how it opens my cabin door when I have my hands full of treats and drinks.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, IndyKid said:

We went on our first Princess cruise this past December, and I enjoyed using the Medallion and all its features. No worrying about remembering to take it along or losing it, we both kept it on our wrists. Used it to order drinks all over the ship, worked flawlessly with the app. Do other cruise lines use anything similar? 

I don’t get the connection of the medallion and the app. The medallion opens your door, lets you charge products, gamble and get on and off the ship. The app lets you see menus, orders some beverages and food be delivered, see you folio etc. I don’t see how the they are connected. You could have the app and a cruise card and there would be no difference except for the locating of shipmates

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:47 PM, CruiseMob said:

1) It used to be if you lost your card, no worries. Someone finding the card would have to insert it in each door to see where it fit, which would look really suspicious. Now someone can just walk the decks slowly past the doors and hear the door unlock and see the panel. Yes I know, once reported the old one can be disabled, but there is still a window of risk.

imma scoff at this one, though. With the names visible at each cabin door, one doesn't have to walk past all the doors to see which one opens. Whether you have a the plastic card or a medallion, you can just look at the name on them, and go past all the doors looking for the names matching the ones on the card/medallion.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, artvlay said:

I found watch type medallion holders on Amazon. Are they a good way to hold the medallion during the cruise?

I love my watch-style medallion holder. I put it on at the start of the cruise and don't remove it until I am home after 🙂 

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

imma scoff at this one, though. With the names visible at each cabin door, one doesn't have to walk past all the doors to see which one opens. Whether you have a the plastic card or a medallion, you can just look at the name on them, and go past all the doors looking for the names matching the ones on the card/medallion.

The names are last name only with an initial. If you are looking for F Smith on a large ship it could take you awhile 

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

Remember in the old days we had keys to our cabins that actually had the cabin number printed on it

That's what I thought. At least for my first several cruises between 2007-2013. They had your cabin number, dining room/time/table number, muster station, and even your folio number IIRC. If someone found your card they could find you pretty easily. 

Just now, Snaxmuppet said:

I love my watch-style medallion holder. I put it on at the start of the cruise and don't remove it until I am home after 🙂 

We have clips and I just stick them in my pocket my wife clips it to her bag since she doesn’t have pockets in most of her clothes