We are sailing from Auckland to Syndey! I have some questions

The Mariner bonus depends on your status and the promotion. For example, I think 4 and 5 Stars is OBC, depending on the promotion and length of cruise.

Side of the ship doesn't matter.

Absolutely worth getting there early and staying after. Two wonderful and interesting countries...both are worth weeks of your time. Plus you have a ton of jetlag to get over.

• Like 1

Friends are always asking me for advice on side of the ship decisions (we have cruised just about everywhere except in Antarctica).  I have simple answer to the question, which many would question.  To us, it is simply a matter of the sun!  But it varies depending on one's own habits.  For example, I enjoy sitting on my balcony in late afternoon (when DW is getting ready for the evening) and if we are in an area where it will not be overly hot, might opt for the side of the ship that faces westerly so I can watch the sunset.  On the other hand, there are some cruises when we might want to shady side in the morning so we can enjoy breakfast on the balcony without having a bright sun in our eyes.

I do know that many want to know which side of the ship has the best views, and we figure that both sides generally feature the sea :).  Cruise ships do not generally cruise close to shore where one gets views of the land.  In really scenic places like Glacier Bay, moving in or out of Kotor, etc. we prefer to be on deck or somewhere where we have a view of both sides of the ship.  Some prefer aft balconies for the view, but we have never enjoyed the vibration/movement/cavitation that often happens with aft cabins.  But that aft wake view does have its benefits.

Hank

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:10 AM, I Luv Crusin said:

1) What all does the Mariner Early Booking bonus include?

2) Which side of the ship is best to book?

3) Is it worth flying in and out with a few days on each end?

Thanks for your help!

Lesley

1.  It depends… our early booking included Drink Package, WiFi, ShoreExc credit, OBC, Specialty Dining and Tips for 3 cruises but on another it included Shore Exc Credit, Specialty Dining, Drink Package.  
2.  For that sailing we had an Aft facing cabin and absolutely loved it.   We could see the bridge and opera house from our balcony. 

3.  Absolutely.  If you are flying that far, see more!   

Keeping in mind that you are flying down there at considerable expense and a certain amount of discomfort (depending on what class you are flying). It would be prudent to spend some time looking around both pre-cruise and post cruise, depending on how much time you can be away. Vacation time can be restrictive. We are now planning our 3rd attempt at an Auckland to Australia cruise (the first cruise ended in Melbourne). When our cruise finally happens in 2025 we will be fortunate to both be retired. With no time constraints we will be extending this vacation to 9 weeks including a 43 day cruise from Auckland to Seattle (we will get off during the port stop in Victoria) We are planning 23 days in Oz and 3 days in Auckland before the cruise. Your circumstances may not allow that much time, but at least plan to spend some time in Auckland before the cruise and Sydney after the cruise. Not long ago there was a thread asking if it was possible to catch a 1430 hrs. flight if the ship released passengers at 0800 hrs. I will just say there is no way I'm flying that far, just to jump an the plane again the moment the cruise is over.

• Like 2