Celebrity Edge Class Ship compared to Princess Sun (Sphere) Class Ship

stevenr597

My wife and I are planning to take a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean.  We have been looking at the Sun Princess (Sphere Class) compared to the Celebrity Edge.  We have sailed on both of these lines extensively, but never on these two classes of ships.

On Princess we would book Reserve Class Mini Suite, and on Celebrity we usually book either Concierge Class or Aqua Class. 

Which would be the better choice.  

I agree with Tierun, but we are planning on finding out this coming January. The Sun Princess' new Signature Class seems to be vary similar to Celebrity's Retreat Class. Looks to me that the Sun will be Princess first attempt at a ship-in-a-ship concept. In any case much different than any other Princess ship.

Give it two or three more weeks for the reviews to start rolling in.

7 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

My wife and I are planning to take a 7-day cruise to the Caribbean.  We have been looking at the Sun Princess (Sphere Class) compared to the Celebrity Edge.  We have sailed on both of these lines extensively, but never on these two classes of ships.

On Princess we would book Reserve Class Mini Suite, and on Celebrity we usually book either Concierge Class or Aqua Class. 

Which would be the better choice.  

My TA advises to wait at least one year before booking on a brand new ship, especially in a new class.

We are sailing on the Apex TA in March 25 and were looking to do the previous sailing for a B2B. Then cam across the Sun sailing for March 1st. 
It is, for us, a better itinerary and also £2000 less expensive than a SS.

Although their similar TA is priced at £1700 more than a SS on the Apex.

But the Apex is visiting Bermuda which we have not visited before.

We're booked on Sun Princess next January in a reserve cabana mini suite.  It will give you additional cabin space, a second tv, reserve dining room and maybe reserve deck space (can't remember if that's only for reserve cabana or all reserve minis).  Hard to say now what it will be like, but we enjoyed the additional space of a mini site previously on Princess.  Although we now cruise exclusively on X, we are Elite also on Princess so there are a few additional bens.

Edited by kabmab

No one has been in the Sun Princess yet so no way to compare. Sailings start this weekend. I can give you my thoughts on the ship by the middle of April.  I’m sure there will be tons of posts on the Princess board starting next week since Princess has does nothing to promote this ship. 

17 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

There are no Concierge or Aqua class cabins on Edge that have balconies. That may or may not be important to you, but it's important to note.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kabmab said:

We're booked on Sun Princess next January in a reserve cabana mini suite.  It will give you additional cabin space, a second tv, reserve dining room and maybe reserve deck space (can't remember if that's only for reserve cabana or all reserve minis).  Hard to say now what it will be like, but we enjoyed the additional space of a mini site previously on Princess.  Although we now cruise exclusively on X, we are Elite also on Princess so there are a few additional bens.

We did look at the Reserve Cabana Class Mini suite on the Sun Princess, but to be honest, it comes with a very large price hike.  

It may be getting to the point that one should start to consider a true luxury cruise line. 

Just some thoughts. 

Just now, RichYak said:

There are no Concierge or Aqua class cabins on Edge that have balconies. That may or may not be important to you, but it's important to note.

My Sister-In-Law went on the Celebrity Edge.  She did miss the true balcony, but for her, she decided it would not be a game changer.  It is argued that in exchange you do get a larger cabin. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swigso said:

We are sailing on the Apex TA in March 25 and were looking to do the previous sailing for a B2B. Then cam across the Sun sailing for March 1st. 
It is, for us, a better itinerary and also £2000 less expensive than a SS.

Although their similar TA is priced at £1700 more than a SS on the Apex.

But the Apex is visiting Bermuda which we have not visited before.

I'm on that Apex TA sailing as well.  Have done the TA on Edge which we loved!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

My Sister-In-Law went on the Celebrity Edge.  She did miss the true balcony, but for her, she decided it would not be a game changer.  It is argued that in exchange you do get a larger cabin. 

It's a personal choice. I just wanted to be sure you were aware.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liao said:

I'm on that Apex TA sailing as well.  Have done the TA on Edge which we loved!

Looking forward to the sea days we have a MC sky suite with the window looking aft 

11 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We did look at the Reserve Cabana Class Mini suite on the Sun Princess, but to be honest, it comes with a very large price hike.  

It may be getting to the point that one should start to consider a true luxury cruise line. 

Just some thoughts. 

The reserve mini suite has the additional interior cabin space, second tv and use of reserve dining room.  The reserve cabana mini suite has an exterior room as additional space and use of reserve cabana deck.  Sorry if my reply was unclear -- wasn't suggesting the reserve cabana mini suite.

• Like 1