Majestic or Discovery?

Drew B 58

I’m planning a cruise to Alaska in September.  This will be my first time sailing with Princess.  I’ve done mostly Carnival cruises with a couple on Celebrity nearly 20 years ago.

I’m looking at either the 9/7 sailing on Discovery Princess or the 9/8 sailing on Majestic Princess.  The itineraries are pretty comparable for the most part.  I’m looking to book a mini-suite for three adults (me and my two sisters).  We would probably book it as Princess Premier for all three of us.

Here are some of the differences I’ve noticed that I think might be significant:

• Majestic has a covered pool/solarium and Discovery has the OUTDOOR Retreat pool.  For Alaska, this seems like a big advantage for Majestic .

• Majestic has the Hollywood Conservatory indoor observation deck concept, whereas Discovery has the outdoor, for-fee Sanctuary, instead.  Again, points to Majesty.

• Discovery visits Glacier Bay, whereas Majestic goes to Endicott Arm.  It seems Glacier Bay is more popular, but I don’t know.  Points to Discovery?

• Majestic has Harmony restaurant and Discovery has Sabatini’s.  I think I would prefer Sabatini’s menu.  Points to Discovery.

• Discovery has casual dining sushi while Majestic does not.  Points to Discovery.

• Discovery has Crooners piano bar and Majestic does not.  Points to Discovery.

• For these sailings, Majestic is considerably cheaper (like $400 pp).  Points to Majestic.

I have two questions:

1. Am I missing any significant differences between the ships (including less concrete ones like “better crew” or “more fun ambiance”)?

2. Based on all of this, which would you choose?

Thanks!

• Like 1

The vibe of Discovery is much, much better than Majestic. We've spent lots of time on both ships.

Take Five on Discovery is one of our favorite places to relax, also Crooners. Majestic doesn't have these. 

The Discovery has an Aft pool with loungers to relax and enjoy the wake. They also have huge seating cushioned seating areas on the Lido deck which are protected by the wind. Majestic has neither.

Hollywood Pool Club has an intense chlorine odor - we avoid it just for that reason. There's also no reserving loungers there. Much rather reserve something in the Sanctuary then fight for a cabana or chair by a window. Free means chair hogs are out in full force.

Crews change all the time.  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

@Drew B 58

We have done Alaska 3 times now, the first on Celebrity and the other 2 with Princess.  The Celebrity sailing visited Endicott Arm.  This being the first time...we had nothing to compare to.  We enjoyed it very much.  Many will tell you that you should do Glacier Bay first because it seems to be the more popular draw.  Perhaps so...but once you have done your first Alaskan cruise you will very likely want to do another!  These cruises are just amazing.  I would suggest that if you do Glacier Bay first then perhaps on your future sailing plan on Endicott Arm. (Just my opinion...it's only worth 2 cents!)  But I feel strongly that you will want to go back.  One is not enough!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@Drew B 58

These cruises are just amazing.  I would suggest that if you do Glacier Bay first then perhaps on your future sailing plan on Endicott Arm. (Just my opinion...it's only worth 2 cents!)  But I feel strongly that you will want to go back.  One is not enough!

I agree with this too.  Glacier Bay is amazing.  I will add that if you do choose an itinerary with Endicott Arm, Princess offers an excursion off the ship that gets you actually close to the glacier.  That might be of interest. And, YES! you will want to go back. I am going on my 4th Alaska cruise in June 2024 on Majestic.  I have been on the Royal class ships, Regal, Royal, Discovery and Enchanted, but not Majestic. So I took the opportunity to try it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

Based on all of this, which would you choose?

Neither.

You remind me of our first cruise to Alaska, wanting the ship to be right.

It's Alaska. You may find yourself too awestruck by nature at every turn to care.

Enjoy your introduction to Alaska. I would prefer you were on a smaller ship, the Coral Princess, but I'm happy for you that you are going.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

I’m planning a cruise to Alaska in September.  This will be my first time sailing with Princess.  I’ve done mostly Carnival cruises with a couple on Celebrity nearly 20 years ago.

I’m looking at either the 9/7 sailing on Discovery Princess or the 9/8 sailing on Majestic Princess.  The itineraries are pretty comparable for the most part.  I’m looking to book a mini-suite for three adults (me and my two sisters).  We would probably book it as Princess Premier for all three of us.

Here are some of the differences I’ve noticed that I think might be significant:

• Majestic has a covered pool/solarium and Discovery has the OUTDOOR Retreat pool.  For Alaska, this seems like a big advantage for Majestic .

• Majestic has the Hollywood Conservatory indoor observation deck concept, whereas Discovery has the outdoor, for-fee Sanctuary, instead.  Again, points to Majesty.

• Discovery visits Glacier Bay, whereas Majestic goes to Endicott Arm.  It seems Glacier Bay is more popular, but I don’t know.  Points to Discovery?

• Majestic has Harmony restaurant and Discovery has Sabatini’s.  I think I would prefer Sabatini’s menu.  Points to Discovery.

• Discovery has casual dining sushi while Majestic does not.  Points to Discovery.

• Discovery has Crooners piano bar and Majestic does not.  Points to Discovery.

• For these sailings, Majestic is considerably cheaper (like $400 pp).  Points to Majestic.

I have two questions:

1. Am I missing any significant differences between the ships (including less concrete ones like “better crew” or “more fun ambiance”)?

2. Based on all of this, which would you choose?

Thanks!

We wrestled with these same two voyages and chose the Majestic Sept. 8th. I like the fact that it has the indoor pool and viewing area, as opposed to the fee-based outdoor Sanctuary, since we will likely have rain. We enjoyed the indoor pool area last September on the Island Princess to Iceland. Never got in the pool but spent time there. When we booked, for a single in a cabin on Discovery, it was $1,000 more for that person. Finally, the Majestic has a four-hour stop in Victoria. The Discovery has a two-hour stop. (Not enough time to get off of the ship.) There will be 6 of us in 3 mini-suites.

One more thought: The Majestic has a Noodle Bar on the Lido Deck instead of Slice Pizza. I don't know yet whether I will like it, but it gets some rave reviews.

Perhaps see you on board.  Alex

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@Drew B 58

We have done Alaska 3 times now, the first on Celebrity and the other 2 with Princess.  The Celebrity sailing visited Endicott Arm.  This being the first time...we had nothing to compare to.  We enjoyed it very much.  Many will tell you that you should do Glacier Bay first because it seems to be the more popular draw.  Perhaps so...but once you have done your first Alaskan cruise you will very likely want to do another!  These cruises are just amazing.  I would suggest that if you do Glacier Bay first then perhaps on your future sailing plan on Endicott Arm. (Just my opinion...it's only worth 2 cents!)  But I feel strongly that you will want to go back.  One is not enough!

Thanks!  I’ve done Alaska twice already, but both went to Hubbard Glacier.  Either Glacier Bay or Endicott Arm would be new for me.

• Like 1

September in Alaska has the most rain and is starting to get cold, so whatever opinions people have, the overwhelming consideration should be to stay comfortable and get good views of scenery. Majestic is the only ship that allows this, with the Hollywood Conservatory and pool. Every other upper space on Discovery will simply be unusable, so you could have over 3,500 people congregating in the buffet and piazza areas. Furthermore, my favorite whale/glacier viewing places are in deck 8--I saw a dozen or so whales next to the ship as we neared the WA coast on the return trip on Discovery. Majestic is superior there, too, because the midship outside areas have seating and viewing, whereas on Discovery they're blocked off by glass and were meant to have outside dining, impossible in Alaska. In future, I'd recommend doing a N/S cruise in Alaska, because you get the largest glacier, Hubbard, as well as Glacier Bay, and the prices are about half of what they are out of Seattle, and you don't have to do a token stop in Victoria the final evening. Embarkation on Discovery was also a horror, because they made everyone stand in line to hand their bags off at indoor luggage scanners, and I talked to a waiter who did the Alaska season out of Seattle, and he said it was just a horror, with Discovery sailing at over 4,000 for most of the summer, just as it's selling out every week in Alaska now. I got Covid in the theater two summers ago, because both early and late shows were completely full, and I had to show up half an hour early to get a seat. You'll also get a superior experience going on HAL Zaandam r/t from Vancouver, which visits Glacier Bay, has a wraparound promenade by the water, forward-facing crow's nest viewing area, and best of all, a max of 1400 passengers. 

• Like 3

They're more alike than different. I sailed both this year and would happily do either again, but...

For Alaska, I'd sail out of Vancouver on a smaller ship with a promenade deck, Sapphire or Grand, 14 days roundtrip to Whittier if you've got the time. If you can only do 7 days, do Ruby roundtrip or one of the others one way.  Better ships for that destination (my opinion) and better itineraries. 

Don't regret your final choice, whatever it is. It'll be a fine cruise.

Walkingsoon

• Like 4

And it seems the Hollywood conservatory and indoor pool is no longer an adults only area.  It used to be, but we sailed in November and it was not the case.  Plenty of kids in the area.  The vibe just wasn't quiet enough for us to spend any significant time there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rj59 said:

September in Alaska has the most rain and is starting to get cold, so whatever opinions people have, the overwhelming consideration should be to stay comfortable and get good views of scenery. Majestic is the only ship that allows this, with the Hollywood Conservatory and pool. Every other upper space on Discovery will simply be unusable, so you could have over 3,500 people congregating in the buffet and piazza areas. Furthermore, my favorite whale/glacier viewing places are in deck 8--I saw a dozen or so whales next to the ship as we neared the WA coast on the return trip on Discovery. Majestic is superior there, too, because the midship outside areas have seating and viewing, whereas on Discovery they're blocked off by glass and were meant to have outside dining, impossible in Alaska. In future, I'd recommend doing a N/S cruise in Alaska, because you get the largest glacier, Hubbard, as well as Glacier Bay, and the prices are about half of what they are out of Seattle, and you don't have to do a token stop in Victoria the final evening. Embarkation on Discovery was also a horror, because they made everyone stand in line to hand their bags off at indoor luggage scanners, and I talked to a waiter who did the Alaska season out of Seattle, and he said it was just a horror, with Discovery sailing at over 4,000 for most of the summer, just as it's selling out every week in Alaska now. I got Covid in the theater two summers ago, because both early and late shows were completely full, and I had to show up half an hour early to get a seat. You'll also get a superior experience going on HAL Zaandam r/t from Vancouver, which visits Glacier Bay, has a wraparound promenade by the water, forward-facing crow's nest viewing area, and best of all, a max of 1400 passengers. 

How do you know where you caught Covid? 

8 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

And it seems the Hollywood conservatory and indoor pool is no longer an adults only area.  It used to be, but we sailed in November and it was not the case.  Plenty of kids in the area.  The vibe just wasn't quiet enough for us to spend any significant time there.

I’m guessing early-September won’t have a lot of kids with school just starting up.  If there are a few, I don’t think it will bother me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rj59 said:

September in Alaska has the most rain and is starting to get cold, so whatever opinions people have, the overwhelming consideration should be to stay comfortable and get good views of scenery. Majestic is the only ship that allows this, with the Hollywood Conservatory and pool.

Agree with others - we've done Majestic a few times and found the Hollywood pool and conservatory totally unusable. The chlorine smell is so overpowering. We tried to make it work as conservatory has lovely seating and views, but simply could not stay. So disappointing.