Changing a cruise before final payment date

We have a cruise booked for June, with a final payment date of March 11. We have four cabins, and 13 people going.

We are currently booked for a Baja cruise out of Long Beach for a Girl Scout trip, but one of the dads (not attending) gets intelligence briefings due to his job, and he's advising that we don't go to Cabo or Ensenada. So now there is discussion of simply not getting off the ship and just remaining onboard, which really defeats the entire purpose of the trip for the girls.

So a suggestion was made to look into the possibility of applying our deposits to a cruise to the Bahamas instead. (We need to stay in the same general price range, since this would be done with cookie money and we'd already set a budget - and even though the cruisefare is cheaper to Bahamas, we would now add airfare, increasing the total cost) I found a relatively comparable (cost-wise as much as possible, and very similar dates) cruise, but don't know whether this would work.

We're a month out from the final payment date, and the girls are neck deep in cookie sales right now. I don't want to bring this up as an option unless I know it's possible, and I'm waiting for a call back.

But does anyone happen to know the answer? Can we switch itineraries and apply our deposit to the other sailing?

17 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We have a cruise booked for June, with a final payment date of March 11. We have four cabins, and 13 people going.

We are currently booked for a Baja cruise out of Long Beach for a Girl Scout trip, but one of the dads (not attending) gets intelligence briefings due to his job, and he's advising that we don't go to Cabo or Ensenada. So now there is discussion of simply not getting off the ship and just remaining onboard, which really defeats the entire purpose of the trip for the girls.

So a suggestion was made to look into the possibility of applying our deposits to a cruise to the Bahamas instead. (We need to stay in the same general price range, since this would be done with cookie money and we'd already set a budget - and even though the cruisefare is cheaper to Bahamas, we would now add airfare, increasing the total cost) I found a relatively comparable (cost-wise as much as possible, and very similar dates) cruise, but don't know whether this would work.

We're a month out from the final payment date, and the girls are neck deep in cookie sales right now. I don't want to bring this up as an option unless I know it's possible, and I'm waiting for a call back.

But does anyone happen to know the answer? Can we switch itineraries and apply our deposit to the other sailing?

I just did this last week. Changed from Jubilee to Mardi Gras one week later. Cost was $50 pp to change. Also if the cruise you switch to is more money you need to pay the new price. Just an FYI: there was just travel update for the Bahamas as well.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/the-bahamas-travel-advisory.html

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is considered cancelling and a new booking.  Can you?  Of Course.  Will you be subject to fees or get refunds?  That is up to Carnival and factors we can not know.  

You still keep your booking number though.😀

• Like 1

I don't know what type of success  your going to have finding cabins in nice locations for your new sailing. I am sure your rooms are all close in your present booking. I would just stay in the port area or remain on the ship.

I've been to Ensenada and I don't think you would be missing much by staying on the ship.  Cabo you could do a ship excursion and be more insulated, security-wise. I hope you and the Girl Scouts have a great cruise, whatever you choose!

• Like 1

Why exactly is this dad not recommending Cabo or Ensenada?  Both places seem perfectly safe in my experience if you take the most basic precautions you would in any other city, especially if the group is well chaperoned. 

It sounds to me like an overabundance of caution on this dad's part. I hope it doesn't ruin the trip for everyone else. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Why exactly is this dad not recommending Cabo or Ensenada?  Both places seem perfectly safe in my experience if you take the most basic precautions you would in any other city, especially if the group is well chaperoned. 

It sounds to me like an overabundance of caution on this dad's part. I hope it doesn't ruin the trip for everyone else. 

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've been to both places (granted, I haven't been to Ensenada since before the pandemic, but I was in Cabo just last May) and I wouldn't think it would be any more dangerous there than in any city in the US, including where we live.

My reading of the State Department travel advisories places Baja California Sur state (Cabo) in the same "threat level" category as the Bahamas, France, Germany, or the UK, with Baja California Norte one level higher. So if he wants them to stay on the ship for Ensenada, whatever. But I'm not sure it's necessary to change everything since we could still enjoy Cabo.

Obviously the State Department doesn't do travel advisories for the US, but my guess is most US cities would be in Level 2.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I wouldn't think it would be any more dangerous there than in any city in the US, including where we live.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  We always need to be aware of our surroundings whether we are at home or on vacation.  To switch everything now would be a HUGE hassle, in my experience and opinion.  Whatever you decide, have fun and great job to your troop with their cookie sales!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

I don't know what type of success  your going to have finding cabins in nice locations for your new sailing. I am sure your rooms are all close in your present booking. I would just stay in the port area or remain on the ship.

Right now we have 3 cabins all next door to one another, and the fourth one is just down the hall. If we changed to a different ship, we would likely be randomly situated all over the place. (Plus we would have to fly across the country, instead of driving one state over, so our total cost would be more, even if the cruise cost itself is less.)

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

especially if the group is well chaperoned 

We have 7 teenage girls and 6 moms going. GSUSA supervision ratios say that for 7 girls we only need 2 adults technically for their age level, and we have three times that. (In fact, the ratios say we can travel with only 2 adults for up to 20 girls their age, but obviously we disagreed with that.)

Only one girl is attending without her mom, and she's in my cabin. 

7 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Right now we have 3 cabins all next door to one another, and the fourth one is just down the hall. If we changed to a different ship, we would likely be randomly situated all over the place. (Plus we would have to fly across the country, instead of driving one state over, so our total cost would be more, even if the cruise cost itself is less.)

The joy of organizing with too many cooks in the kitchen. 🤯 Best wishes on a great cruise.

I think I'll bring it up with all the families going, laying out all the facts and let them decide. Personally, I think he's being overly cautious, and feel that as long as you stay in the tourist areas and take basic precautions, it should be fine. We could even compromise on sticking to only Carnival tours, or possibly even remaining on-board during Ensenada, but I don't personally see the need to totally change everything.

Especially since the "Threat Level" is a Level 2 both in Cabo and the Bahamas.

• Like 2

Yes no sense in upheaving everything now when you haven't reduced your "threat level". Both Cabo and Ensenada are just as safe as, Los Angeles, for example. There's parts you may want to avoid but you wouldn't be going there as a tourist anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Came back here to update:

I happen to agree with all of you, and felt making a change was wholly unnecessary, but the faction that wanted to switch gained enough traction that more people decided it was unsafe to go to Mexico.

We didn't have the budget to switch to Bahamas due to the flight, plus it would entail going into the next work week (which was a no-go for several parents), so a compromise was made to switch to a Baja cruise going to Catalina Island instead.

It would still allow us to drive, making the "we don't want to fly" crowd happy. It still occurs within the same week, making the crowd that can't take that next Monday off from work happy. And it has a port call in the US (Catalina) making the "we won't get off the ship in Mexico" crowd happy.

It's certainly not the ideal compromise, since it still goes to Ensenada regardless, and now we lose Cabo. But I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. Whatever.

I'm calling travel agent tomorrow. I am so tired. Cookie season just ended, and everything comes due at the same time. (I am a law professor, and have a ton of exams to grade tomorrow) Final payment date is March 16, so I guess we'll just go ahead and pay the balance when I make our change.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great work @DukeASUGirl!! You did your best to make everyone happy and that is a herculean task in it self.  Catalina Island is so charming!  We did the tour around the island that included the buffalo.  I hope you and your efforts are appreciated. Definitely go to Big Chicken at least once.  So good!! I saw that Radiance has a Cloud 9 Spa.  Hmmmm, treat yourself to a cruise spa pass and relax for an hour each day (or more if you can swing it) on a heated tile chair looking out over the ocean.  By yourself.😎

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

Thank you for the update and you did a great job under the circumstances.  This situation is the exact reason I decided many years ago that I would never again (one and done, lesson learned) actively put together and head the travel plans for a group of people.  You will never please everyone and so many people have differing opinions not to mention the people that are not seasoned travelers.  

You will ultimately have a great cruise and I agree with previous poster than suggested for you to find some time in spa (or wherever for yourself, by your self).  Have a blast and enjoy the fruits of your labor.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your incredible efforts on behalf of all these girls.  We all sincerely hope you have a fantastic time. Many years from now, they'll be saying 'Remember when Professor DukeASU took us on that cool trip?' Good work mom (an even more important title.) 👍 

I think you settled on a great compromise. We next to never head out to Catalina, but it is fun to stop there for a few hours. I liked the Radiance and the crew onboard, too. While Cabo would have been great, too, it's very touristy. Keep in mind you booked a cruise not a vacation to Mexico, and enjoy the ocean breeze as you sail on the Pacific. I second the Cloud 9 Spa pass. Neither Catalina nor Ensenada are ports that should take up most of your day, so even on port days you should have a chance to take advantage of the heat loungers or saunas. If you feel comfortable enough there's Spas in Ensenada where you can book facials or massages at a fraction of the ship's price. Easy to take a Taxi or Uber there and back. 

Posted (edited)

Okay, funny (kinda) story about my family in Ensenada.  My dad's boss had a house in Ensenada and my parents with me and my sister stayed in it over Spring break.  I heard that there was a restaurant called "Hussongs" so we went there for dinner.  Oh it was more like a bar, not a restaurant.  This guy walked up to my dad and said quietly "if I were you, I'd get your two daughters out of here".  We left quickly.  Then we drove to Palm Springs and spent the rest of our week there. So, moral of the story: don't go to Hussongs.😉

Edited by ninjacat123
spelling ;)
  • Haha 1