Explorer of the Seas -

On 2/22/2024 at 11:05 AM, Mullwi said:

And me 🙂. You are right that it was full, but small venue and not much else to do. Obviously did appeal to some,  just not quality I am accustomed to on many other RCCL ships

Hope you didn't miss "Velvet Band" on the Royal Prominade. They could sing anything

On 2/16/2024 at 11:55 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

We were on Explorer last fall and had a great time.  The ship seems to be in good condition, though it doesn't have as many amenities as some of the newer ships.  Enjoyed the food and entertainment.  I'd sail Explorer again in a heartbeat!  

Can you elaborate on missing amenities? If it's a bunch of extra 'activities', like bumper cars, and other carnival rides, I can happily do without those... Thanks!

Also got off Explorer last Sunday. Was actually one of our most favourite cruises. Ship felt very 'fun' and really enjoyed it.

I've suggested in the post cruise survey they look to update the quiz questions / music clips they use as I'm sick of hearing the same 20 tracks for the past 3 years!

Food is subjective, but both of us found the dining room excellent on this occasion. Food was hot and tasty, service could have been a little quicker but wasn't a problem.

Oh, and we really enjoyed Perry Grant too 😉 Totally different piano man style than other ships we've been on.

Edited by swoopy2110
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Can you elaborate on missing amenities? If it's a bunch of extra 'activities', like bumper cars, and other carnival rides, I can happily do without those... Thanks!

That's exactly the kind of thing Explorer doesn't have. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2024 at 6:51 AM, Mullwi said:

However, do not  go to playa dorado beach break in puerto plata. Rough water all the time and dirty.

Are you referring to the 'Playa Dorada Beach Escape' excursion? If so, can you elaborate a little bit on your experience? We currently have that excursion booked for our April sailing on Explorer, but we're having second thoughts now after reading your post. 🫤

On 2/20/2024 at 3:28 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Karaoke was about the worst ever. I remember cruising the Explorer out of Bayone where singers were mostly awesome.

Came home Sunday and tested positive. Oh great! I guess I'll write more.

"Karaoke was about the worst ever"?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of Karaoke is for amateur, random guests (often inebriated) without any talent to get up there and embarrass themselves with how bad they are? These are not professional vocalists BTW.

"Came home Sunday and tested positive"
Tested positive for what exactly? 🤔

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 1:16 PM, KroozNut said:

I wish the Explorer had these.(more places for the youngest passengers to attend)

3 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

"Karaoke was about the worst ever"?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of Karaoke is for amateur, random guests (often inebriated) without any talent to get up there and embarrass themselves with how bad they are? These are not professional vocalists BTW.

"Came home Sunday and tested positive"
Tested positive for what exactly? 🤔

Karaoke is the best- (it automatically makes me get up and move to a new venue)

On 2/21/2024 at 11:42 AM, Mullwi said:

I was saying to my husband that I think having so many sinks and staff watching for hand washing outside the windjammer at least partially reduces germs on all the buffet serving utensils, but unfortunately can’t prevent respiratory exposure 🙁. Sorry to hear some got sick. 

🙄

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 12:23 PM, retired dude said:

so called piano player in the schooner bar is some judy garland wanna be named perry grant....he is the worst entertainer that we have seen in 30 years of cruising. He should be working in a rehab center not taking up room in a nice lounge...My father was an opening act for frank sinatra in vegas and i hope that i know good entertainment when i see it and this is a pathetic excuse for a lounge act.....just sayin'

Wait, I'm confused by 'judy garland wanna be named perry grant'. Have I <gasp> confused my pronouns?

On 2/22/2024 at 8:05 AM, Mullwi said:

And me 🙂. You are right that it was full, but small venue and not much else to do. Obviously did appeal to some,  just not quality I am accustomed to on many other RCCL ships

I would trust the packed crowds every night over you and 'him'. Sounds like the performer was very popular.

Hi KroozNut, Regarding Playa dorado beach break, I am pasting in my comments from the ports of call boards below. My group was very unhappy with this tour, but we also met others later in the trip who were very unhappy as well. The major disappointment was the waste of our time in a new port, more than the waste of money. I wish I had taken pictures. I think regular timed excursions to the beach would be better since they did clean seaweed and trash up about 11am, but our excursion arrived at 9am. You may have less rough water when you go and lifeguards would let you in, but I heard it is usually rough water in general 🙁. That experience and a couple of not great entertainment (in my opinion) were VERY minor disappointments, but overall great cruise, ship, food, staff and itinerary! 

“Just got off explorer. I would strongly suggest not doing. Couldn’t go in water per lifeguards day we were there. Incredibly rough. We asked staff if it was always rough and they said yes. Beach had trash mixed in with lots of seaweed. This was an early excursion and did start cleaning up seaweed 3 hours after we were there. It is NOT the Caribbean beach you would expect. So happy to share this with you. Wish I had asked before we went.”

• Thanks 1

Anyone know if they do the poker tournaments on the Explorer on sea days?

I can hear you all saying ‘why do you ask Devonian Cruiser? 😜

Okay since you all asked I’ll tell you . . . . . 

Back in March 2013 we went on Explorer from New York down to the Caribbean. Can’t remember much about itinerary. Anyway I digress. On the sea days they held a poker tournament which I’m guessing was around $60 or $70 and the winner and runner up each day made the final table on the last sea day of the cruise. 

I somehow made it to the final and even more surprising won the final. I won a weeks cruise on the Oasis for December that year. Oasis was a fairly new ship and was an amazing prize. There was a poker tournament for all the winners on all the tournaments throughout the fleet. I guess that there were a few hundred of us. First prize was $50,000 I recall. 

I lasted about 3 minutes 🤣

Anyway had a free cruise and a cocktail party.

The Explorer cruise we’ve got booked in December has 4 sea days so enough for a tournament. . . . If they still do them of course

P.S. Don’t recall any karaoke - good or bad 😉

Nor that Perry fella, but I think he was on Navigator on our European cruise a couple of years back.

😎

Edited by DevonianCruiser

7 hours ago, DevonianCruiser said:

Anyone know if they do the poker tournaments on the Explorer on sea days?

I can hear you all saying ‘why do you ask Devonian Cruiser? 😜

Okay since you all asked I’ll tell you . . . . . 

Back in March 2013 we went on Explorer from New York down to the Caribbean. Can’t remember much about itinerary. Anyway I digress. On the sea days they held a poker tournament which I’m guessing was around $60 or $70 and the winner and runner up each day made the final table on the last sea day of the cruise. 

I somehow made it to the final and even more surprising won the final. I won a weeks cruise on the Oasis for December that year. Oasis was a fairly new ship and was an amazing prize. There was a poker tournament for all the winners on all the tournaments throughout the fleet. I guess that there were a few hundred of us. First prize was $50,000 I recall. 

I lasted about 3 minutes 🤣

Anyway had a free cruise and a cocktail party.

The Explorer cruise we’ve got booked in December has 4 sea days so enough for a tournament. . . . If they still do them of course

P.S. Don’t recall any karaoke - good or bad 😉

Nor that Perry fella, but I think he was on Navigator on our European cruise a couple of years back.

😎

Just off Explorer and there were several holdem cash tournaments (1 table) for cash, not for a cruise. Only one blackjack tournament the whole cruise.

On 2/15/2024 at 4:54 PM, Ashland said:

We were on her twice in 2022 and will be on her again next week and have her booked for an 11 nighter in 2025 and have absolutely no concerns about her at all.

I believe we are on that same 11 night cruise - looking forward to it!!!