Explorer of the Seas -

Not really recently but we were on her last summer and had a great time.

She was in great shape and crew, food and entertainment we couldn’t fault. Internet though was shocking and always logging you off if that’s important to you.

We were on her twice in 2022 and will be on her again next week and have her booked for an 11 nighter in 2025 and have absolutely no concerns about her at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

We were on her twice in 2022 and will be on her again next week and have her booked for an 11 nighter in 2025 and have absolutely no concerns about her at all.

Good to know. We did Explorer years ago and are back on in December 🙂

We were on Explorer last fall and had a great time.  The ship seems to be in good condition, though it doesn't have as many amenities as some of the newer ships.  Enjoyed the food and entertainment.  I'd sail Explorer again in a heartbeat!  

Just got off today and had a great time and thought it was in better shape than others reported. Dining room food very good overall with just one meal out of nine that was fair. I thought windjammer food variety for lunch was great with lots of vegetables which I like. The only thing I did not like compared to the many newer ships was quality of production shows, but I liked the ice show better than other ships. I have been in diamond plus for many years and been on many ships and really enjoyed and would recommend. Itinerary was great,  However, do not  go to playa dorado beach break in puerto plata. Rough water all the time and dirty. Dominica emerald pool and beach excursion was great. They were the same price and Dominica one 10x better. Overall great experience!

Sailed her 2/4/24-2/9/24 found the ship to be in great condition. Very clean and well kept with no terrible signs of rust.  There were a few chairs in Studio B that were broken as they were fold-downs and they kept going down to the point you could slide off of it.  Sadly the cupholders in the main show lounge serve no purpose as the glasses used now will not fit in them.

Food was better than expected, Chops and Giovanni's were excellent and Johnny Rockets was fun too.  I heard the ice cream from the soft serve dispensers wasn't good but didn't try any myself. The Promenade Cafe is a life savor for late night eats but it gets BUSY.  Show's were not media productions as found on new ships, the true stars are the ship's singers and dancers the backdrops are meh.  Sadly I wasn't impressed with the comedian on our sailing or the piano player in the Schooner bar but that is a subjective opinion.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:51 AM, Mullwi said:

Just got off today and had a great time and thought it was in better shape than others reported. Dining room food very good overall with just one meal out of nine that was fair. I thought windjammer food variety for lunch was great with lots of vegetables which I like. The only thing I did not like compared to the many newer ships was quality of production shows, but I liked the ice show better than other ships. I have been in diamond plus for many years and been on many ships and really enjoyed and would recommend. Itinerary was great,  However, do not  go to playa dorado beach break in puerto plata. Rough water all the time and dirty. Dominica emerald pool and beach excursion was great. They were the same price and Dominica one 10x better. Overall great experience!

Just got off Sunday also.

Production shows are all reruns for a decade or more. Used to not mind so much because of new performers doing them. Tired is an understatement for sure. Newer ships have actual musicals and are excellent. Ice show, the same. Just another rerun.

The last day comedian was one of the best we've seen on the sea. Saw both of his shows.

Drinks were hit and miss. Some great in one bar and poor in another. Solarium drinks were the best.

Karaoke was about the worst ever. I remember cruising the Explorer out of Bayone where singers were mostly awesome.

Balcony glass was caked in spray. No washy washy there. Cleaned it myself and could see through it again.

Ports were all good and liked.

Came home Sunday and tested positive. Oh great! I guess I'll write more.

Great cruise overall, probably easily in our top 8 or 9

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

We did a TA on the Explorer in November and loved the ship. Not too big and not too small. The shows were adequate, the food was good, ship overall was in decent enough shape. You know if you go around looking for every minor thing wrong, you will find something on every ship.

We were on her for 14 days and we never felt crowded anywhere we went. (We ll the Diamond Club was). I would definitely sail her again.

Cheers

Len

We just disembarked on Sunday after a 9-night cruise.   Ship appeared to be in great condition; our cabin was in good shape and probably had the most comfortable bed we've had on a ship.  We only ate in the dining room one night, but the Windjammer had some nice options at lunch and dinner.   Shows we saw were good, and my DH said the bartenders were awesome.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Just got off Sunday also.

Production shows are all reruns for a decade or more. Used to not mind so much because of new performers doing them. Tired is an understatement for sure. Newer ships have actual musicals and are excellent. Ice show, the same. Just another rerun.

The last day comedian was one of the best we've seen on the sea. Saw both of his shows.

Drinks were hit and miss. Some great in one bar and poor in another. Solarium drinks were the best.

Karaoke was about the worst ever. I remember cruising the Explorer out of Bayone where singers were mostly awesome.

Balcony glass was caked in spray. No washy washy there. Cleaned it myself and could see through it again.

Ports were all good and liked.

Came home Sunday and tested positive. Oh great! I guess I'll write more.

Great cruise overall, probably easily in our top 8 or 9

Tested "positive" Oh My !!

My partner and I went on the Explorer in October 2023 as our first ever cruise and the experience was so positive it got us into cruising. 🙂 Obviously, I don't have any point of comparison to other ships/cruise lines, but I thought the food in the MDR was very good value for money. Some dishes I found a bit bland, but nothing tasted bad and everything was served at the right temperature. The service was lovely too.

Edited by MyriamS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Tested "positive" Oh My !!

sold out ships tend to give you that gift that keeps on giving. We will mask up on the plane and pray that we get through the cruise healthy.  see you guys at the hotel thursday...B&B from fla by way of Ky.

I was saying to my husband that I think having so many sinks and staff watching for hand washing outside the windjammer at least partially reduces germs on all the buffet serving utensils, but unfortunately can’t prevent respiratory exposure 🙁. Sorry to hear some got sick. 

On 2/20/2024 at 1:36 PM, Cruisegoer said:

Sailed her 2/4/24-2/9/24 found the ship to be in great condition. Very clean and well kept with no terrible signs of rust.  There were a few chairs in Studio B that were broken as they were fold-downs and they kept going down to the point you could slide off of it.  Sadly the cupholders in the main show lounge serve no purpose as the glasses used now will not fit in them.

Food was better than expected, Chops and Giovanni's were excellent and Johnny Rockets was fun too.  I heard the ice cream from the soft serve dispensers wasn't good but didn't try any myself. The Promenade Cafe is a life savor for late night eats but it gets BUSY.  Show's were not media productions as found on new ships, the true stars are the ship's singers and dancers the backdrops are meh.  Sadly I wasn't impressed with the comedian on our sailing or the piano player in the Schooner bar but that is a subjective opinion.

so called piano player in the schooner bar is some judy garland wanna be named perry grant....he is the worst entertainer that we have seen in 30 years of cruising. He should be working in a rehab center not taking up room in a nice lounge...My father was an opening act for frank sinatra in vegas and i hope that i know good entertainment when i see it and this is a pathetic excuse for a lounge act.....just sayin'

6 hours ago, retired dude said:

so called piano player in the schooner bar is some judy garland wanna be named perry grant....he is the worst entertainer that we have seen in 30 years of cruising. He should be working in a rehab center not taking up room in a nice lounge...My father was an opening act for frank sinatra in vegas and i hope that i know good entertainment when i see it and this is a pathetic excuse for a lounge act.....just sayin'

I didn't stop to see him, but there was never an empty seat. I guess it's just you

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

And me 🙂. You are right that it was full, but small venue and not much else to do. Obviously did appeal to some,  just not quality I am accustomed to on many other RCCL ships