Mexican Cruises out of LA in summertime

JB1963

If you try to cruise to the Mexican Riviera, the Pacific side typically out of San Francisco or Los Angeles in the summer vacation months such as June July, August. currently, you will find only two major operators, Carnaval, and Royal Caribbean and only out of LA. I thought that years ago I saw other major cruise lines, such as Princess maybe even Norwegian, and maybe even Celebrity going out of Los Angeles in the summertime to Mexico, not even Hawaii in those prime summer months out of Los Angeles. there is a huge cruise market, going out of Southern California, or people that would fly to  California to cruise to Mexico and Hawaii for that matter in those prime summer months.My lingering question is why can’t some of the other cruise lines that people might have loyalty on or just want to cruise with sail out of Los Angeles when the kids are out of school during the prime, June to August market.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because there is more money to be made elsewhere, particularly Alaska. The Mexican Rivera is not a high per diem location in the summer.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because there is more money to be made elsewhere, particularly Alaska. The Mexican Rivera is not a high per diem location in the summer.

That makes sense if you’re the cruise operator, same reason they’re taking out the individual steam /saunas in the locker rooms that were free at one time.

I have ask this question for years about the Caribbean. When we started cruising, it was with NCL and sailed mainly with them for years (and then branched out to Carnival and RC because we wanted new ports and experiences). NCL seems to pull out of the Caribbean in the summer months with only a few limited cruises to the same old places during the summer months. I just don't understand it myself when someone says they don't make money in the Caribbean in the summer. That's when kids are out of school and families travel. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

I have ask this question for years about the Caribbean. When we started cruising, it was with NCL and sailed mainly with them for years (and then branched out to Carnival and RC because we wanted new ports and experiences). NCL seems to pull out of the Caribbean in the summer months with only a few limited cruises to the same old places during the summer months. I just don't understand it myself when someone says they don't make money in the Caribbean in the summer. That's when kids are out of school and families travel. 🤷‍♀️

Then there is the concept of making money, or making more money elsewhere, like Europe or Alaska.

NCL isn't the only one who pulls out of the Caribbean in the summer. HAL does as well. And they have expanded into the Northern Atlantic/Canada/Iceland/Greenland market, which is going gangbusters for them.

• Like 1

I needed a summer cruise to accomodate a school teacher's schedule.  We ended up on a Carnival cruise out of LA to Mexico.  It was beastly hot in the ports.  I certainly understand Princess moving its fleet from the Mex Riv trips to Alaska.

As one who lives in Puerto Vallarta during the winter months, there is a good reason why most of us leave by Spring.  It tends to get hot/humid here in the summertime.  While that is fine for many, others prefer to go to places with more reasonable weather. 

DW was a school teacher (until she retired) and we often cruised during summer break.  We generally headed to the Med or Alaska.

Hank