Carnival cruiser looking into booking a theme cruise on Sky Princess

MisterOJ2

Hey y'all!

So, I never thought I'd be posting over here, since my wife and I are pretty set on Carnival these days, but one of our favorite bands just announced last night that they are co-hosting a music cruise on the Sky Princess in February of next year. But the price and itinerary (along with it being hosted by a favorite band) just makes it super attractive. That said, I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you guys can answer. Thanks in advance!

1) I know since this is a music/theme cruise there will be a lot of differences from a regular Princess cruise. We sorta know what to expect since we took a music cruise on Carnival a few years back. But, outside of entertainment - what are going to be the biggest differences between what we're used to on Carnival and what we'll find on the Sky Princess? I've done a very quick look at the ship and it seems like there's less quick-service type places to eat. And, I wasn't able to really tell how many were included and how many came with an extra fee? What are some other key differences?

2) According to the cruise website, everyone booking will get the Princess Plus package. Right now there is no information about being able to upgrade to whatever the deluxe package is called. I assume that will be an option, but maybe not. Anyway, if we just stayed at Princess Plus - does that include most drinks you can order? I'm used to ordering whatever I want with Cheers. If Princess has a bunch of things priced just over $15 so it's not included, I think that might be a bummer.

2a) Along those same lines, how are the bars on Princess? Is there something similar to the Alchemy?

3) We're platinum on Carnival. Is there any sort of status match we could get on Princess? 

10 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

2) According to the cruise website, everyone booking will get the Princess Plus package.

I don't think there is an obligation to get Princess Plus. Princess Plus is $60 pppd. You may opt for Princess Premier at $80 pppd instead.

There is already a ton of discussions about Plus vs. Premier vs. Standard, what they include and whether they are worth it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2991424-is-it-really-worth-it/

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/ 

Which date are you looking at on Princess website? 

10 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

3) We're platinum on Carnival. Is there any sort of status match we could get on Princess? 

no

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

14 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Hey y'all!

So, I never thought I'd be posting over here, since my wife and I are pretty set on Carnival these days, but one of our favorite bands just announced last night that they are co-hosting a music cruise on the Sky Princess in February of next year. But the price and itinerary (along with it being hosted by a favorite band) just makes it super attractive. That said, I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you guys can answer. Thanks in advance!

1) I know since this is a music/theme cruise there will be a lot of differences from a regular Princess cruise. We sorta know what to expect since we took a music cruise on Carnival a few years back. But, outside of entertainment - what are going to be the biggest differences between what we're used to on Carnival and what we'll find on the Sky Princess? I've done a very quick look at the ship and it seems like there's less quick-service type places to eat. And, I wasn't able to really tell how many were included and how many came with an extra fee? What are some other key differences?

2) According to the cruise website, everyone booking will get the Princess Plus package. Right now there is no information about being able to upgrade to whatever the deluxe package is called. I assume that will be an option, but maybe not. Anyway, if we just stayed at Princess Plus - does that include most drinks you can order? I'm used to ordering whatever I want with Cheers. If Princess has a bunch of things priced just over $15 so it's not included, I think that might be a bummer.

2a) Along those same lines, how are the bars on Princess? Is there something similar to the Alchemy?

Do you have a link to the charter cruise or your band's website? I'm curious about it as a fan and veteran of music cruises. Thanks.

I'll defer to my colleagues on your other questions, except to say that I like Carnival and Princess about equally for different reasons. Though I REALLY REALLY liked the 80s themed cruises that Princess hosted in the past.

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I don't think there is an obligation to get Princess Plus. Princess Plus is $60 pppd. You may opt for Princess Premier at $80 pppd instead.

Which date are you looking at on Princess website? 

1 minute ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Do you have a link to the charter cruise or your band's website? I'm curious about it as a fan and veteran of music cruises. Thanks.

I'll defer to my colleagues on your other questions, except to say that I like Carnival and Princess about equally for different reasons. Though I REALLY REALLY liked the 80s themed cruises that Princess hosted in the past.

The cruise https://stringbreakcruise.com/. I was assuming it wasn't listed on the Princess website since it's a charter cruise situation, but it's still listed on there right now. I guess since the music cruise was just announced last night, maybe Princess hasn't gotten around to taking it off the regular website yet?

Based on what I'm seeing, it's only about a $200 pp more for the theme cruise - which seems like a pretty good deal.

I do not know if you are booking thru some organization that is putting this together, and that looks like what they are offering with PLUS in their price...   But, generally, no, cruises do not always include the PLUS package.  As mentioned, PLUS and/or PREMIER are added on at a per day charge.  If you are booking thru an agency that is organizing this cruise, double verify with them that PLUS is indeed included in the fare shown.

Yes, there are fewer quick serve options on Princess... you have quickly seen that difference. 

With this being a music cruise.. this is likely how you will see this unfold on the ship.    There may be music from this band/bands/genre playing,  from the Spillway on deck, public areas, music sets on pool deck.   The performances in the Atrium might lean towards that music.   Any band/bands might perform in the theater...  which would mean that Production Shows might be skipped.   (I do not know about longer cruises, but the short '80s cruises, the production shows were not onboard at all.  Maybe some time off???

Any special events or performances, of course, are up to the organizers of this cruise event.

As you can see, the adult pool area is limited...  most of this is open deck space, high on the ship, that overlooks the pool on the deck below.

The Sanctuary is reserved, first come first served, when you board.

Loungers book up very very quickly with any back to back cruisers from the previous sailing, and those with priority status/boarding.  If loungers are booked up, one might find a Cabana available, as pricing means that these might not sell out.

Edited by Wishing on a star

7 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

The cruise https://stringbreakcruise.com/. I was assuming it wasn't listed on the Princess website since it's a charter cruise situation, but it's still listed on there right now. I guess since the music cruise was just announced last night, maybe Princess hasn't gotten around to taking it off the regular website yet?

Based on what I'm seeing, it's only about a $200 pp more for the theme cruise - which seems like a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the link. It sounds like this is a partial charter where only cruises booked through the agency get the benefits (band access, etc.). It looks like a good deal if you like the band(s) and are willing to trust the agency. Have fun!!

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for the link. It sounds like this is a partial charter where only cruises booked through the agency get the benefits (band access, etc.). It looks like a good deal if you like the band(s) and are willing to trust the agency. Have fun!!

That makes sense, actually. I love the two bands that are hosting, but I thought the Sky Princess was an awfully big ship for them to charter.

Were any of the music cruises you took partial charters? The one I went on was a full charter and they took over the entire ship. I'm wondering how a partial would work with the bands performing in venues while the rest of the ship's passengers are kept out? I'm guessing that would mean no concerts on the pool deck then? 

Interesting. If you book this cruise directly on Princess website, the taxes are $209.39 pp. If you book through this specialized site, not only is the price higher (my guess since it includes access to the special performances), but the taxes are higher as well:

Taxes and fees are $398.39 per person and are not included in the above per person rates.

Twice as much... 

Here is some information regarding Princess. You can do the comparison.

Quick places to eat, no extra charge. International Cafe open 24/7, cont. breakfast items in the AM, paninis, salads, desserts and such during the day and evening, additional snacks late evening, specialty coffee drinks no charge with the plus fare. World Fresh Market Place. This is the buffet open 6am until 10 or 11 in the evening. Never closes during that time. Salty Dog Grill and Slice Pizza by the Lido pool open 11am until mid evening serving burgers, dogs, chicken, fries and slices of pizza. With the Ocean Now App you can order food and drink to be delivered to wherever you are on on board. There is a selection of no charge and extra charge food items. The Sky has 3 casual dining locations, Alfredo's Pizza, Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar, Vines Wine Bar. These cost $14.99 per meal. However 2 meals are included with the plus fare. Refer to this web site to see all the dining locations:

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

It sounds like the sponsor is offering the package which includes the plus fare. Princess sells cruises with the standard no frills fare, plus fare and premier fare. The 3 main benefits included with the plus fare are the daily house/dining gratuity, unlimited wifi internet, plus beverage package. The plus beverage package includes unlimited nonalcoholic beverages and 15 alcoholic beverages per day. around 90% of all alcoholic beverages are prices $15 or under. There are some wines and high end spirits that are higher priced. If you purchase a drink in excess of $15 you will be charged the difference + 18%. If you wish to have the premier fare you can upgrade when you board. It's $20/pp/day. Passengers 1 and 2 in a cabin are required to have the same fare. If one upgrades the other must also upgrade. Here is some fare information:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

Bars are bars. There are plenty of them.

There is no cross loyalty between Carnival and Princess.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Interesting. If you book this cruise directly on Princess website, the taxes are $209.39 pp. If you book through this specialized site, not only is the price higher (my guess since it includes access to the special performances), but the taxes are higher as well:

Taxes and fees are $398.39 per person and are not included in the above per person rates.

Twice as much... 

I'm guessing it's because the company that you book the music cruise through is based in New York, so you're probably paying New York taxes on top of the regular taxes for the cruise.

17 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

That makes sense, actually. I love the two bands that are hosting, but I thought the Sky Princess was an awfully big ship for them to charter.

Were any of the music cruises you took partial charters? The one I went on was a full charter and they took over the entire ship. I'm wondering how a partial would work with the bands performing in venues while the rest of the ship's passengers are kept out? I'm guessing that would mean no concerts on the pool deck then? 

I've taken four music cruises, all of which were full charters. The 80s cruises on Princess weren't charters; Princess picked the theme and controlled all the bookings. They let anyone on, whether they cared about the theme or not.

I assume part of the contract between the agency and Princess allows the agency to control venues and the times the bands play and/or practice. That would mean closing off access temporarily to those who aren't members of the group. The other passengers won't like it, but too bad for them. 😋

They COULD have pool deck concerts, but that area is likely too big to close off entirely. In which case they could open up those concerts for everyone, or just take them somewhere inside.

The Plus package works for us. Most “normal” drinks will fit within the $15 limit. I drink Woodford Reserve bourbon and Captain Morgan rum. My wife drinks Grey Goose vodka. All those are covered by the package. If you are a wine drinker there are quite a few wines by the glass over the limit

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

The Plus package works for us. Most “normal” drinks will fit within the $15 limit. I drink Woodford Reserve bourbon and Captain Morgan rum. My wife drinks Grey Goose vodka. All those are covered by the package. If you are a wine drinker there are quite a few wines by the glass over the limit

Perfect. Thanks for this info. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. If I can get a Woodford old fashioned and my wife can get some Capt. Morgan or Bacardi drinks, we'll both be happy with the Plus package.

1 hour ago, MisterOJ2 said:

I'm guessing it's because the company that you book the music cruise through is based in New York, so you're probably paying New York taxes on top of the regular taxes for the cruise.

Doubtful. I never heard of State taxes on a cruise fare. There are port taxes and fees. It's might be for special performances and meetings with the group(s). You should ask the promotor why.  

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Doubtful. I never heard of State taxes on a cruise fare. There are port taxes and fees. It's might be for special performances and meetings with the group(s). You should ask the promotor why.  

Partial charters charge whatever they want for the cabins they book. It is generally higher than the cruise line price to pay for access to their events which other cruisers cannot attend 

• Like 1