Celebrity Edge GBR cruise

A week today till we fly to Sydney to start our first cruise since the pandemic began.  So excited.  Definitely don't want to catch Covid and spend the cruise in my room.

Don't worry, I'm not going to do a daily countdown.  But I really want to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

A week today till we fly to Sydney to start our first cruise since the pandemic began.  So excited.  Definitely don't want to catch Covid and spend the cruise in my room.

Don't worry, I'm not going to do a daily countdown.  But I really want to.

There is this thread if you want.

Yes,  even though you're doing a domestic cruise it is still advisable to have travel insurance. Medicare will not cover you for medical expenses on board (which can be staggering, particularly if you have an accident and need to be airlifted off) and then there's cover for (heaven forbid) last minute cancellation, etc.

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!!!! We did GBR out of Brisbane last year and had a ball.

Don't forget to come back post cruise and tell us how it went.🙂

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Like 1

Hi onlyslightlymad

I see you're doing the cruise I'll be on next October.

Could you do me a favour please?

Could you take note of any shuttles provided, their costs, their drop-off points etc.  I'm thinking especially of Brisbane and Cairns.

I'm sailing on Quantum on 4 April and check-in opens tomorrow - the first exciting moment then the waiting before zipping shut that suitcase, waving the moggies goodbye and heading for the airport!!!!

Have a lovely cruise.

I am not sure why I read GBR as Great Britain. 🤣

Enjoy.

A week today till we fly to Brisbane for our only planned cruise in 2023. Won't be excited until we get to the cruise terminal, but can't wait for a break.

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Enjoy.

A week today till we fly to Brisbane for our only planned cruise in 2023. Won't be excited until we get to the cruise terminal, but can't wait for a break.

Should that read 2024???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Enjoy.

I should have written it properly.  My mistake.

1 hour ago, palmycruiser said:

Hi onlyslightlymad

I see you're doing the cruise I'll be on next October.

Could you do me a favour please?

Could you take note of any shuttles provided, their costs, their drop-off points etc.  I'm thinking especially of Brisbane and Cairns.

I'm sailing on Quantum on 4 April and check-in opens tomorrow - the first exciting moment then the waiting before zipping shut that suitcase, waving the moggies goodbye and heading for the airport!!!!

Have a lovely cruise.

Will do.  Not sure that I'll get off in Brisbane.  Might just enjoy a quiet shipboard experience.

4 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Will do.  Not sure that I'll get off in Brisbane.  Might just enjoy a quiet shipboard experience.

Many thanks.  Presumably the info on a Celebrity shuttle will be published in the daily planner.  I'll be in Brisbane for two nights before the  RCI T/Pacific and plan to scoot about on the City Cats.  I saw a really buzzing venue under the Story Bridge last March but didn't end up there so I'll probably have lunch there in April.  Whether, like you, I'll then bother with a trip into Brisbane in Oct I don't know but I love doing my research and having all my options noted in my trip planner.  Having a ship pretty much  to yourself sure is a lovely treat and a rare experience!  Bon voyage 🙋

We did this cruise in 2018 on Celebrity Solstice and really loved it

from memory Celebrity offered shuttles / buses into town at each port and they were $25 from memory, but may have increased by then

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Waiting on my flight to Sydney.  On board tomorrow.  Let the holiday begin

Enjoy your cruise. I will give you a wave when we cross paths on Tuesday morning.

I am safely ensconced in my hotel in Sydney.  Awake because of time zone differences.   Hotel Capella, absolutely fabulous.  More luxurious than I would normally choose but thanks to Taylor Swift, nothing else available.  Had a great meal in a Middle Eastern restaurant nearby last night.  Very interesting flavours and wonderful service.   So impressed with the new Australians that I have met.  Our driver from the hotel was Syrian and just loves Australia.

• Like 3

Hi all,

It is Day 2 which is a sea day so I thought I would share first impressions of the ship.  

The ship has some lovely open spaces.  Big windows looking out to the ocean - fresh and light.

We have a sunset sky suite which we are very pleased with.  Big balcony and private.  I am happy to share pics if you want.  It is a long walk back to the retreat area but we are happy to get our steps up and walk off the food.

We have not cruised since early 2020 so there have been some changes.  The app rules all, of course, which I kind of like.  There are a lot more suites on Edge class.  Luminae and the Retreat Lounge are a lot bigger and busier.  It's lost some of it's intimacy and charm although the staff are friendly and attentive.

First impression of Luminae is that both the food and beverage are more narrow in scope and the food is not as interesting.  They have stated that you can order classic dishes from the main menu, however, which we might try tonight.  

A big disappointment has been the cocktails and drinks.  We visited the Martini Bar which we used to enjoy but the drinks were disappointing.  The bartender did not take care preparing and measuring the ingredients or making the drink look presentable.  There was certainly plenty of alcohol, free poured with abandon, but the drinks were unbalanced and, frankly, unpalatable.   We actually abandoned them and went to the Eden Bar which we liked better. 

We started the day in the gym.  The gym has great equipment and fabulous views.  I went on a Peloton bike for the first time which I enjoyed.  I then went hunting for a coffee.  It is usual cruise ship coffee which is not good.   I ordered a flat white at Cafe el Bacio and it was disappointing.  I do know a great coffee shop in Cairns so we are hanging out for that.

We had lunch in Raw on Five, which is a speciality sushi and seafood restaurant.  We mostly had sushi and it was very good.  Tonight, back to Luminae for dinner and then off to the show, Kaleidoscope, in the main theatre.  I have heard good things so am looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1

My husband agrees wholeheartedly with your estimation of the Edge's coffee.  I think we're spoilt for coffee in Australia & NZ.  He couldn't wait for our cruise from Sydney to dock in New Zealand so he could get a decent coffee.

• Like 1

Hi all,

It's Day 5.  We are about an hour out of Cairns.  It is warm and wet outside.  We didn't get off in Airlie Beach yesterday, but are planning to do so in Cairns today.  Initially we were told that the shuttle into town would cost $15 return, but then that it would instead be free.

I am starting to settle in to shipboard life and actually feel like I'm on holiday.

As stated previously, we are staying in a sunset suite, which is a lovely room.  Is a suite worth it?  Well, it depends what you pay.  We booked this a long time ago at a very good price.  I certainly wouldn't be paying what they have been asking recently, but for the price we paid, it has been worth it.

As stated before, the ship is lovely, with big windows facing out to the sea from all the public areas.   The staff have been lovely too.  My first impressions were not great, but I realise that embarkation was messy and they were all a bit stressed.   They have been pleasant and helpful.

We have mostly eaten in Luminae (the suite restaurant) and again, after the first night, the food has been excellent and the staff have been accommodating to personal preferences.

One extravagance has been the Chef's Table which is the special meal cooked and designed by the chef.  The food and wine were fantastic.  It is the best chef's table we have done and our dinner companions were charming.  In the past, a ship's officer was designated to eat with the guests and keep the conversation flowing but they don't seem to do that anymore.

Entertainment has been mixed.  We went to the production show, Kaleidoscope.  The young dancers and singers were very talented but the narrative of the show had no cohesion overall.  The new theatre space is very flash, with a circular multimedia screen, and platform and doors that open and create new entrances and spaces.  it made me think of an amateur high school show with a much bigger budget. 

The house band are terrific and it is very pleasant to just sit with a drink and enjoy them.  Musicians around the ship are mixed.  There is a very talented guitarist, Charlie, performing in the Grand Plaza most nights but last night in Eden the performer was so bad that it was distressing.  We had to leave.

I am sad to see the changes in the Martini Bar.  On previous cruises, we had enjoyed this space.  The staff made excellent drinks and put on an entertaining show.  Now, the drinks are not so good and neither is the show.  We wonder if it is because the space is so much busier and the staff are under more pressure to churn out the drinks.  

Anyway, off to the gym and then on to Cairns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for this update and the shuttle info.  Solstice in December had a particularly cringe-worthy act, even more so because she was a fellow Kiwi.  Thank goodness we don't have to pay to endure mediocre entertainment!  Enjoy Cairns 😀