Ship excursion sale - cancel and rebook?

HondaGirl05

Just now, HondaGirl05 said:

I just noticed that some of our excursions for our upcoming August cruise are on sale. Are there any risks/problems to canceling them and rebooking for the new rate?

I think the only risk would be if they had filled and you potentially lost your slot to someone on the waiting list by canceling. If they are still

showing availability then you should be able to cancel and rebook without issue. 

If the excursion still shows 20 slots available, there would be very little risk. I didn't say no risk, because the website could stop working after you canceled before you rebooked. If there are fewer than 20 slots available, then you would have a risk of them selling out before you rebook - the fewer available slots, the higher the risk.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

If the excursion still shows 20 slots available, there would be very little risk. I didn't say no risk, because the website could stop working after you canceled before you rebooked. If there are fewer than 20 slots available, then you would have a risk of them selling out before you rebook - the fewer available slots, the higher the risk.

Of course today with the "sale" it isn't showing how many spots are left 🤔Sigh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tulok said:

Where did you see they were on sale? Princess website, not entered as a booked passenger? App? Email?

When I login on my account it showed it on a banner. I think it's only for certain locations/areas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up! I just got the Princess "excursion discount" email regarding our upcoming Baltic cruise in July. Logged on to my account, compared the prices we had already paid versus what they are currently asking, and canceled/rebooked the ones that made economic sense to do so, and saved enough to book an addition $200 pp excursion for only $10 (plus the savings we got from cancelling/rebooking some of our existing excursions). 😀

image.thumb.png.42a15fbbbc90bbb70afc726a077273f2.png

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for the heads up! I just got the Princess "excursion discount" email regarding our upcoming Baltic cruise in July. Logged on to my account, compared the prices we had already paid versus what they are currently asking, and canceled/rebooked the ones that made economic sense to do so, and saved enough to book an addition $200 pp excursion for only $10 (plus the savings we got from cancelling/rebooking some of our existing excursions). 😀

image.thumb.png.42a15fbbbc90bbb70afc726a077273f2.png

Awesome! Glad it helped. Question - did it show you how many spots were left for the excursions in your account? We are trying to decide if we should take the risk (of loosing our spot) or not

7 minutes ago, HondaGirl05 said:

Awesome! Glad it helped. Question - did it show you how many spots were left for the excursions in your account? We are trying to decide if we should take the risk (of loosing our spot) or not

Yes they are very clever and hide how many spots are left during these excursion sales. We just had one last week for Alaska cruises. I guess this week is Northern Europe. You should be able to cancel and then immediately rebook it, it should say "Apply Credit" or something like that instead of a pay button, then you should show as rebooked in the excursion at the lower price, and the refund of the price difference posts to your credit card within 2 to 3 days. I don't use OBC to pay for excursions because I don't know how smooth the refund process is, so if you used that instead of paying on a cc then I don't know how it works. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, HondaGirl05 said:

Yes, it shows how many vacancies there are currently. On one excursion we were booked on, there was one slot left. But since there was the same excursion starting 15 minutes later with 20 slots, I cancelled our original excursion. However, when I did, all of a sudden there were 3 slots available. So it looks like the number shown is in real time, and I rebooked the excursion in the original time slot we had. When I did, it dropped back to one slot again.

BTW the $$$ that were released when we cancelled our initial excursions were initially treated as OBC, which was subsequently used as Credit once we initiated the payment process for the new excursions in the Cart. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, HondaGirl05 said:

Thanks all! We were able to cancel and rebook all of our excursions and saved almost $300! WooHoo!!

Were you able to apply a credit, or did you have to pay in full and wait for a credit from the cancelled reservations?

13 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Were you able to apply a credit, or did you have to pay in full and wait for a credit from the cancelled reservations?

It applied it all as credit as we were rebooking - so the amount due was $0 each time. There isn't anywhere (we could find) that showed how much credit is currently available after the cancelations/rebooks, hopefully once their system processes it all it will show up somewhere. Someone above mentioned they will refund the difference to our credit card after a few days, I'll try to remember to update to confirm.

We did have some problems with their site erroring out (also previously mentioned). We had one 'normal' page open to do the cancelations and then an incognito window open to rebook after we canceled each one. No problems getting it to work in the incognito window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received an email yesterday about Mediterranean excursions on sale. The excursions showed how many spots were left so I canceled & rebooked. Also was able to see how much obc was still available but I do this on the web site in my phone so your experience may vary

• Thanks 1