Honeymoon on QV Rome to Istanbul May 13'th. First cruise questions...

Ditchcrawler

Hi all, short time reader, first time poster. The attitude here is one of the main reasons I boked Cunard.

We'll be travelling Britannia Class. The gala themes will be black and white and masquerade. A question about my shoes, Would a brogued oxford in black sneak past the formal threshold?

Am I to understand that one may take a sensible amount of beverages aboard for consumption in one's stateroom or balcony?

How do you guys tip?

2 hours ago, Ditchcrawler said:

Hi all, short time reader, first time poster. The attitude here is one of the main reasons I boked Cunard.

We'll be travelling Britannia Class. The gala themes will be black and white and masquerade. A question about my shoes, Would a brogued oxford in black sneak past the formal threshold?

Am I to understand that one may take a sensible amount of beverages aboard for consumption in one's stateroom or balcony?

How do you guys tip?

Congrats on your Honeymoon. We went on a cruise for our Honeymoon. 
Tipping: There is an auto 15% Service Charge on all drinks, speciality restaurants etc so unless there is great service, you don’t need to add more. Cunard also charges a daily per person Hotel Service charge to cover that side of the crew. You can give more at the end of the voyage if you want (we do). 
A black dress sneaker would work on Gala night, in my opinion, but the dancers on this board may comment that it’s hard to dance in rubber soles. Except for photo ops, don’t go crazy with masks but abide by the dress code as much as you can; there’s a great atmosphere onboard and be part of it. During the day, there’s no dress code, especially in the Med. 
I’ve never taken extra booze onboard so can’t comment. Ask questions here and onboard. 
Istanbul is magnificent and Turkish tour guides are very high quality. 

No problem with booze. Take what you like.

No need to tip, but, if you do, the last night is the time to do it in the restaurant.

I’ve no idea what a brogue Oxford is, but, if it is black, no one will notice it.

Have a splendid time.

26 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Nobody will find that offensive, I’m sure. Clearly nothing to do with the University.

To be a bit of a pedant, it does. The term comes from a style evolved by the university students a couple of centuries ago and so is now forever termed 'Oxford'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

To be a bit of a pedant, it does. The term comes from a style evolved by the university students a couple of centuries ago and so is now forever termed 'Oxford'.

Clearly before even my time. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Clearly before even my time. 😀

and even mine.

I only know as we have a family member who is an alumnus. 🙂

and to answer the question, the shoe will be fine for any evening onboard.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The "Oxford" refers to the type of toe cap. On a plain shoe, the toe cap would be the highly polished part which doesn't move or crease.

It's the style of the lacing which denotes the Oxford bit. The toe cap is the brogue bit...or not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ditchcrawler said:

How do you guys tip?

Welcome to CC?….
Feel free to ask any questions or advice about the ship and what it offers….

One small thought.  
When boarding QV and enter the Atrium, pause for a few moments, look up and around, then close one’s eyes and let the QV give a welcome home hug.  Then you’ll could understand what being a Cunarder is.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Welcome to CC?….
Feel free to ask any questions or advice about the ship and what it offers….

One small thought.  
When boarding QV and enter the Atrium, pause for a few moments, look up and around, then close one’s eyes and let the QV give a welcome home hug.  Then you’ll could understand what being a Cunarder is.  

Yet another respect in which I fail. Never done that, and never would, for fear of bumping into someone. 🙂

43 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yet another respect in which I fail. Never done that, and never would, for fear of bumping into someone. 🙂

I agree. Not a good idea on embarkation day. Tripping over a wheeled cabin bag or having someone bump into you isn't a good start to a holiday! 😕

Plenty of time to admire the wonderful Queen Victoria's architecture once onboard, and she is, absolutely wonderful.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I agree. Not a good idea on embarkation day. Tripping over a wheeled cabin bag or having someone bump into you isn't a good start to a holiday! 😕

Plenty of time to admire the wonderful Queen Victoria's architecture once onboard, and she is, absolutely wonderful.

Personally I slightly prefer QE, though whether I shall ever see her again seems rather doubtful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Personally I slightly prefer QE, though whether I shall ever see her again seems rather doubtful.

I think staffing has a lot to do with our preferences, that and the fact QE aft cabins haven't had any revamps.

It will be very interesting to see which redeployed QV staff we might meet on QA.

16 hours ago, Ditchcrawler said:

Would a brogued oxford in black sneak past the formal threshold?

If your brogues are anything like that in post #4 or even a much heavier style as is quite common, then they are a very formal shoe by modern standards.

I personally prefer a Derby fastening as I find them easier to put on and tighten securely.

These are also excellent for dancing as they have a very fine bonded leather sole.

Chesham_908917_BlackHiShine_1024x600@2x.

• Like 1

Thank you!

Mine are very similar to post #4, so good to hear. I do have to agree with you on the subject of oxfords v derbys for fitment, but being a Country Mouse they're the only pair of black shoes I own!

Not being a dancer myself, what's the advantage of thin leather over rubber for dancing? Mine will be going for a resole before the year is out so I'd say they're plenty thin enough!

• Like 1

Rubber will stick to the floor.

Proper ballroom and latin dance shoes have a soft suede sole and are totally unsuitable for wearing outdoors.

The thin leather soles on those Barker Cheshams are a good compromise. My originals are nearly 27 years old and were refurbished once. Since then I keep them for times we get a chance to dance. I recently bought an identical pair as I don't think they make them anymore.

But if you're not a hobby dancer or above it doesn't really matter.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:40 AM, TowandaUK said:

Oxford brogue

IMG_7193.jpeg

I have had a few pairs of those hand made by Trickers in Jermyn St. 
I have one black pair left, size 8 made for me around the late 1980's....cannot get em on now sadly 

• Like 1