Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

Just now, Louby-Lou said:

P & O has some great Caribbean itineraries but we wouldn't want a fly-cruise as we prefer to make our own flight arrangements.  If this were possible it would ease the pressure on the charter flights. Does anyone know the reason P & O doesn't allow this?

They do, you just choose no flight when you book. However the cost remains the same so the included flight is effectively part of your fare.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Louby-Lou said:

P & O has some great Caribbean itineraries but we wouldn't want a fly-cruise as we prefer to make our own flight arrangements.  If this were possible it would ease the pressure on the charter flights. Does anyone know the reason P & O doesn't allow this?

I would imagine cost is near the top of the list. You can still arrange your own flights but will in effect be paying twice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not all the Maleth planes have the 8 seat configuration if you look at their website.  Some do not have the 2 seats either side.

I'd agree on comfort I really liked A330 and A340.  In fact the new A350 is a lovely plane as well.

I’ve flown VA a few times over the past few years and we got the a330, 787, a350 and the new a330-900. (The whole fleet!) the economy seats on the new a350/330-9 are better than the 787. But in terms of Premium, we preferred the a330-3/787 as the seats are bigger and comfier. The premium seats on the a350 and a330-9 are hard and a lot narrower! 

new does not always = comfort!!

2 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I’ve flown VA a few times over the past few years and we got the a330, 787, a350 and the new a330-900. (The whole fleet!) the economy seats on the new a350/330-9 are better than the 787. But in terms of Premium, we preferred the a330-3/787 as the seats are bigger and comfier. The premium seats on the a350 and a330-9 are hard and a lot narrower! 

new does not always = comfort!!

Seat size/structure is down to individual airlines on their new aircraft though. 

I flew for very many years exclusively on VA to the US, now however I choose American, not because they are a better airline or anything but because they tend to offer a quieter and calm flight experience. I particularly like the approach that no more than 2 people can queue for a lavatory or gather in areas, obviously a hangover from 9/11 but very welcome.

3 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

They do, but there is no discount for the charter flights you don't use, and you would need to arrange your own travel to and from the airport in Barbados.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

They do, but there is no discount for the charter flights you don't use, and you would need to arrange your own travel to and from the airport in Barbados.

That’s a pity - if we got credit for using our own flights we would consider doing this as we usually arrive a few days pre-embarkation. We have loads of air-miles! If P & O did a cruise only deal maybe it would ease the pressure on the charter flights. 

28 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

That’s a pity - if we got credit for using our own flights we would consider doing this as we usually arrive a few days pre-embarkation. We have loads of air-miles! If P & O did a cruise only deal maybe it would ease the pressure on the charter flights. 

No pressure now they have the charters arranged, in fact one of the reasons they don't offer a cheaper cruise only option, is that then the charter seat(s) would be empty.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Various online travel agents make up their own stay and cruise packages too.  Why would you expect credit for using your own flights, the P&O cruises are cheaper than most other lines and the flight is effectively a "freebie".  People like the charter as its bonded so no passport control and luggage not needing to be collected or carried.  

Interestingly Cunard have just announced that QE will be based to do Caribbean cruises from 2026. Assumedly that won't be charters and pay your own or add on air fares.  Certainly I personally will be looking closely at those as an alternative.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/4/2023 at 8:48 AM, carlanthony24 said:

Maleth departed 1hr 2mins late and landed an hour late. TUI departed just before the 2hr mark delayed and landed an 1hr 20 mins late. Not sure why you would complain over a delay charters always seem to leave late. Trying to get to Oceanic clearance straight away can be a big problem. image.png.2c9bca548a4321c398d9d6eca949f17a.png

I think I may be able to throw some light on this quote... 

We are currently on Arvia sailing from Dominique to Barbados arriving 0530 Friday 10 November. 

About 3 weeks before we boarded at Southampton we were able to book extra legroom seats on the MLT1975 flight that we are due to fly with tomorrow. 

From the seating plan on the booking page that I used, and by researching Malet Aero's webpage 'Available Aircraft' 

https://www.maleth-aero.com/available-aircraft

I was able to resolve that the aircraft being booked was 9H-EFS with a 2-4-2 configuration. 

3 days ago our flight labels and boarding cards were delivered to our cabin still showing the original extra legroom seats. 

The night after, a second letter was delivered with reprinted boarding cards with slightly different seat allocations and a covering note to say that Maleth Aero were supplying a different aircraft from the one we booked seats on with a different configuration, hence the change of seat numbers.

I have just checked on Flight Radar24 and the Maleth Aero Flight MLT 1974 due to fly Manchester to Barbados at 0930 10th Nov is 9H-MFS. which has a 3-3-3 configuration. This aircraft flew passengers to and from the Britannia, MAN-BGI-MAN on the 3rd of Nov so I assume this is the same 'changed' aircraft in the quote.

Our new seat numbers would indicate a 3-3-3 configuration  without any extra legroom. 

On the covering letter from P&O we were told that any seat booking fees would be refunded. 

Incidentally, there are 9 flights scheduled to fly Arvia passengers back to the UK on 10Nov with a further 8 on the following day 11Nov.

Of these flights, Maleth are providing 2 flights each day(1 to Manchester and 1 to Gatwick) the remainder are predominantly TUI. 

I shall try to report on the flights when at home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cumbrian1 said:

I think I may be able to throw some light on this quote... 

We are currently on Arvia sailing from Dominique to Barbados arriving 0530 Friday 10 November. 

About 3 weeks before we boarded at Southampton we were able to book extra legroom seats on the MLT1975 flight that we are due to fly with tomorrow. 

From the seating plan on the booking page that I used, and by researching Malet Aero's webpage 'Available Aircraft' 

https://www.maleth-aero.com/available-aircraft

I was able to resolve that the aircraft being booked was 9H-EFS with a 2-4-2 configuration. 

3 days ago our flight labels and boarding cards were delivered to our cabin still showing the original extra legroom seats. 

The night after, a second letter was delivered with reprinted boarding cards with slightly different seat allocations and a covering note to say that Maleth Aero were supplying a different aircraft from the one we booked seats on with a different configuration, hence the change of seat numbers.

I have just checked on Flight Radar24 and the Maleth Aero Flight MLT 1974 due to fly Manchester to Barbados at 0930 10th Nov is 9H-MFS. which has a 3-3-3 configuration. This aircraft flew passengers to and from the Britannia, MAN-BGI-MAN on the 3rd of Nov so I assume this is the same 'changed' aircraft in the quote.

Our new seat numbers would indicate a 3-3-3 configuration  without any extra legroom. 

On the covering letter from P&O we were told that any seat booking fees would be refunded. 

Incidentally, there are 9 flights scheduled to fly Arvia passengers back to the UK on 10Nov with a further 8 on the following day 11Nov.

Of these flights, Maleth are providing 2 flights each day(1 to Manchester and 1 to Gatwick) the remainder are predominantly TUI. 

I shall try to report on the flights when at home. 

Thank you. That is exactly the scenario I though may occur (possibly regularly) as these aircraft go in and out of service as they often do.  Obviously if a fleet has no aircraft with identical layout passengers will see a difference whereas if s fleet such as TUI's is involved the interior layout is identical and they'll never know a change occurred.

I hope you're having a great holiday and look forward to your report.  Meantime have a safe journey home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Just read a post on FB with photos of Maleth A340 interior, look newish 3.3.3 layout and good legroom. Taken at Manchester Airport this morning.

That's interesting. They aren't scheduled to fly A340 for P&O, the two aircraft chartered are A330s.

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

My mistake A330 it is. Looks nice

There's been some positive feedback elsewhere so maybe as we said earlier it's a storm in a teacup.

Mind you there are some excellent Caribbean offers at present for next season Could be the outcry put people off. For instance we can get an aft suite on Britannia for £1,500 less than we are paying for deluxe balcony this season.  Very tempted but we are doing 35 nights QM2 beginning of January 2025, mind you I can never get too much Caribbean!

• Like 1

Hi, first timer on this site so be gentle! 😀

I’ve just had confirmation of Maleth Aero flights to and from Barbados in December from Gatwick, please can anyone confirm baggage allowance as the email says I have to contact Maleth direct? Thank you.

2 hours ago, Geoff1964 said:

I’ve just had confirmation of Maleth Aero flights to and from Barbados in December from Gatwick, please can anyone confirm baggage allowance as the email says I have to contact Maleth direct? Thank you.

Sorry, can't answer your question, but welcome to CC.

I can't promise everyone will be gentle, but most of us are ok ... ish 🙂 🙂😉

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, can't answer your question, but welcome to CC.

I can't promise everyone will be gentle, but most of us are ok ... ish 🙂 🙂😉

Will depend how positive or negative you are of course! Lol

Either way someone will agree with you though so you won't be on your own!

I'm always glass three quarters full (actually seven eighths full) - so ask me stuff if you want cheering up about your upcoming holiday

Plenty will be available to counter act anything I say of course

What ship are you on?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Geoff1964 said:

Usually the hold luggage is specified by the cruise line with a reference to the flight companies for carry on as most charter flights do not carry the same ratio of cargo so more baggage weight is available. You usually see the luggage allowance if you log onto your P&O account and look under flights, however this is what Maleath say:

Its 23kg hold and 10kg hand baggage.

I also had confirmed that additioal baggeage is charged as follows:

5KG- £23 each way

10KG- £37 each way

23KG- £70 each way

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Will depend how positive or negative you are of course! Lol

Either way someone will agree with you though so you won't be on your own!

I'm always glass three quarters full (actually seven eighths full) - so ask me stuff if you want cheering up about your upcoming holiday

Plenty will be available to counter act anything I say of course

What ship are you on?

On the Arvia. Sailed on her sister ship Iona, to Norway in June and this was such good value (as a solo traveler I couldn’t resist).

• Like 2