Increased add on prices prior to cruise?

Titanfan22

I thought I read somewhere, after selecting Princess insurance, anything booked pre-cruise will be inflated.  I just tried to select Princess plus for a 12-day cruise and it popped up at $784 vs $720.  Can anyone please confirm or deny.  If true will it add to excursions and other pre-cruise purchases?  Thanks for the help

If you buy Plus after final payment and have Princess insurance, it will increase the cost of the insurance. If you wait to buy Plus on the ship, it will not increase the cost of insurance on the ship.

5 minutes ago, Titanfan22 said:

Thank you for the information.  Will it also add $$ if I book excursions or spa services before the cruise?  Tks

No, it is based solely on the cruise fare.  The Plus and Premier packages are considered cruise fare packages so will increase your increase you insurance premium, whereas all the stand alone amenities and services are not considered part of the fare.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, it is based solely on the cruise fare.  The Plus and Premier packages are considered cruise fare packages so will increase your increase you insurance premium, whereas all the stand alone amenities and services are not considered part of the fare.  

Perfect, thank you for the clarification.

• Like 1

The Plus and Premier cruise fares are refundable only per the same refund conditions and timelines as the rest of the cruise fare. Therefore you would lose the appropriate percentage of these add-ons if you cancel during the penalty period. Therefore their cost needs to be covered by insurance. Prebooked excursions (except some specific special cases such as flights and hotels) are fully refundable prior to the excursion cancellation deadline onboard, so their cost doesn't need to be covered by insurance. If you purchase Plus or Premier onboard, then it isn't part of the cruise fare and isn't covered by the insurance.

The disadvantage of purchasing pre-cruise has already been mentioned: It increases the cost of your insurance in order to get the additional coverage. If you have Princess Vacation Protection, then the increase is automatic. If you have third party insurance, you would need to contact the insurer to increase the coverage - if you do not, then you may not be covered for your entire fare.

There is one advantage of purchasing pre-cruise and paying the additional insurance that hasn't been mentioned. I purchased Premier pre-cruise for a 12-day cruise last year and paid the increased insurance cost. DW and I were isolated with COVID for the last 3 days of the cruise (1/4 of the 12-day cruise). We received a full refund of 1/4 of the cruise fare from Princess Vacation Protection for the isolation days. Since Premier was included in the cruise fare covered by insurance, this refund included 1/4 of the cost for Premier as well as the rest of the cruise fare. We received a refund even though I was able to order beverages under the Premier plan using Ocean Now or room service during the three days of isolation in my cabin.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

The Plus and Premier cruise fares are refundable only per the same refund conditions and timelines as the rest of the cruise fare. Therefore you would lose the appropriate percentage of these add-ons if you cancel during the penalty period. Therefore their cost needs to be covered by insurance. Prebooked excursions (except some specific special cases such as flights and hotels) are fully refundable prior to the excursion cancellation deadline onboard, so their cost doesn't need to be covered by insurance. If you purchase Plus or Premier onboard, then it isn't part of the cruise fare and isn't covered by the insurance.

The disadvantage of purchasing pre-cruise has already been mentioned: It increases the cost of your insurance in order to get the additional coverage. If you have Princess Vacation Protection, then the increase is automatic. If you have third party insurance, you would need to contact the insurer to increase the coverage - if you do not, then you may not be covered for your entire fare.

There is one advantage of purchasing pre-cruise and paying the additional insurance that hasn't been mentioned. I purchased Premier pre-cruise for a 12-day cruise last year and paid the increased insurance cost. DW and I were isolated with COVID for the last 3 days of the cruise (1/4 of the 12-day cruise). We received a full refund of 1/4 of the cruise fare from Princess Vacation Protection for the isolation days. Since Premier was included in the cruise fare covered by insurance, this refund included 1/4 of the cost for Premier as well as the rest of the cruise fare. We received a refund even though I was able to order beverages under the Premier plan using Ocean Now or room service during the three days of isolation in my cabin.

Great info. Tku