Gibraltar

Kinniegirl

49 minutes ago, Kinniegirl said:

Getting into town, I know that there is no shuttle bus, is it far to walk in ie uphill, long way, or is it better to catch a taxi

thanks 

Morrisons is about 1000 yards from the cruise quay... and many of the shops aren't much further. It's a level enough, easy walk but can be a bit uncomfortable if it's a hot day. We've watched as people have panted back to the ship with heavy bags of duty free and others have arrived back by taxi... so it's very much a matter of personal choice.

1 hour ago, Kinniegirl said:

Getting into town, I know that there is no shuttle bus, is it far to walk in ie uphill, long way, or is it better to catch a taxi

thanks 

The last time we were there (With a different cruise company) at the port gates there was a couple of independent minibuses doing round trips to the bus station at the gate to the town, they were charging €2 each way.

• Like 1

Unless things have changed since I last visited a few years ago, an agreement with the local taxi drivers prevents a shuttle bus service being operated in Gibraltar. Instead, the taxi drivers provide a fixed price shuttle service between the cruise terminal and the town. Alternatively you can walk. It is a straightforward level walk of a mile or so to the main square at the town entrance which a reasonably fit person should be able to do in 15 minutes or so.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2

At 2euros per head the fixed price taxi (mini bus) shuttle is good value, although need to wait for at least 4 pasengers.

We saved energy by using shuttle as we were planning on walking up rock and back. On way back had to use bus from WW2 tunnels and then shuttle as legs wouldn't work.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

At 2euros per head the fixed price taxi (mini bus) shuttle is good value, although need to wait for at least 4 pasengers.

We saved energy by using shuttle as we were planning on walking up rock and back. On way back had to use bus from WW2 tunnels and then shuttle as legs wouldn't work.

When I was there the charge was £2, payable in either UK or Gibraltar currency. If they also take Euros on a par with Pounds then it is cheaper to pay in the former!

For the benefit of those who have not been there, the currency on Gibraltar is the Gibraltar Pound which is on par with the Pound Sterling. The Gibraltar coins look like UK coins apart from the wording on them and both are acceptable in Gibraltar - but not in the UK (officially at least). So it is wise to check your change and spend the Gibraltar coins rather than the UK coins whilst you are there.

• Like 1

We’ve been to Gibraltar before and took a tour so we only want to see the Siege tunnels and walk around the city center this time. If we take a taxi from the port to the tunnels is the walk to CC safe & reasonable (fairly level ground or downhill and 30 min or less?) or will there be taxis available to take us to CC where we can walk back to the ship OOO?  

6 hours ago, Denarius said:

When I was there the charge was £2, payable in either UK or Gibraltar currency. If they also take Euros on a par with Pounds then it is cheaper to pay in the former!

For the benefit of those who have not been there, the currency on Gibraltar is the Gibraltar Pound which is on par with the Pound Sterling. The Gibraltar coins look like UK coins apart from the wording on them and both are acceptable in Gibraltar - but not in the UK (officially at least). So it is wise to check your change and spend the Gibraltar coins rather than the UK coins whilst you are there.

Sorry  I  meant pounds