Bringing food aboard

I was planning to bring trail mix (i.e. nuts, raisins, etc) aboard in a ziploc bag. NCL has a rule that says only sealed food can be brought aboard, and a chat agent clarified that this means sealed by the manufacturer, not a ziploc bag.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this strictly enforced? I guess my solution is to bring the unopened plastic bags of nuts, raisins, etc, on board, along with the ziploc bag, and then make the mix after I'm onboard.

Thanks!

-- Ethan

I bring that kind of stuff all the time. I always have open bags of snacks in my book bag that I acquired on my journey to the port. Once it is 0n board though it can’t leave the ship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I was planning to bring trail mix (i.e. nuts, raisins, etc) aboard in a ziploc bag. NCL has a rule that says only sealed food can be brought aboard, and a chat agent clarified that this means sealed by the manufacturer, not a ziploc bag.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this strictly enforced? I guess my solution is to bring the unopened plastic bags of nuts, raisins, etc, on board, along with the ziploc bag, and then make the mix after I'm onboard.

Thanks!

-- Ethan

Unless you're carrying a large load of stuff, I wouldn't think those sorts of snacks would be an issue (someone on this board recently asked about bringing meats & cheeses on - tricky one there).

Last month, I had a zip lock with probably 1/2 pound of M&M's in my carry on bag. They either didn't notice it or didn't care.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I guess my solution is to bring the unopened plastic bags of nuts, raisins, etc, on board, along with the ziploc bag, and then make the mix after I'm onboard.

That must be some seriously special trail mix. 

• Like 1

Security at embarkation is done by the port, not NCL crew.  So what you can bring is often a factor of who's doing the checking. But to be safe, you might want to consider bringing the unopened bags. And don't forget that if you are flying internationally, nuts and raisins might not be allowed by customs.

• Like 1

A warning to everyone.   There are countries where laws about importing foodstuffs are very strict.   That is especially so in Australia and New Zealand.   If you are flying anywhere check what is allowed to be taken into the country.   If you are cruising be prepared to be told that NO FOOD of any kind can be taken off the ship NOR taken back on.

• Like 1

NCL confiscated our leftover lunch when we returned to the ship from one of the ports.  I was quite sad because on our first NCL sailing 12 years ago the mdr food was not very good but the specialty dining was amazing.  On my last cruise, the specially food had declined significantly in quality (we were served perfectly cooked but ice cold steaks in Cagney's, which also ran out of all the sides I'd wanted) so I was very sad to lose my food because it was hard to find good food on the ship.  If you really need the trail mix, bring a sealed container to be sure.  If you can risk having it confiscated (if you get caught they'll just throw it out) you can bring a ziplock baggie.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FPMoosally said:

That must be some seriously special trail mix. 

It's mostly for after the cruise, when I'm traveling Europe independently. I'm never hungry in the mornings for breakfast, so it's good to bring some trail mix with me so that I can eat when I need to, and just the amount that I need. Nuts are nutritious, fruit has energy, chocolate chips have happiness. 😎

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. It sounds like the answer is that it varies depending upon country and port, and so is not necessarily predictable.

I don't think you will have a problem in European ports, especially if they are in northern Europe.  Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii are VERY strict.  You cannot transport unsealed food from one Hawaiian island to another even though it is the same state. 

45 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I don't think you will have a problem in European ports, especially if they are in northern Europe.  Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii are VERY strict.  You cannot transport unsealed food from one Hawaiian island to another even though it is the same state. 

My only concern is Miami, both on and off.

2 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Nuts are nutritious, fruit has energy, chocolate chips have happiness. 😎

And making your own, you only get what you want, in the proportions you want. It drives me insane when I buy prepackaged trail mix that includes one ingredient that I despise. Trying to avoid that one item often ends up with the whole bag in the trash.

• Like 1