Regent unable to provide Reykjavik hotel and transfers

Having booked a Concierge suite for our July Splendor cruise in part because of the pre-cruise hotel, this morning we received, via our TA, a letter from Regent:

We regret to inform you that we are unable to arrange your pre-cruise hotel and transfers in Reykjavik, Iceland. This is due to the limited availability of hotels that can accommodate the desired number of guests, while meeting the required standards that Regent is known for.

It goes on to offer us £150pp as a "gesture of goodwill" towards paying for our own hotel and transfers, plus some OBC. It then says:

There are several excellent hotels in Reykjavik to choose from which you may review and reserve online or by contacting your travel professional.

which rather contradicts their earlier statement.

I find this astonishing. Has anyone else experienced this? It will be our first Regent cruise so not creating a good first impression.

Dave

• Like 1

Yes, we received notification this morning as well. We have gone back to our TA to say this is not acceptable to us. We also booked Concierge level for the pre-cruise hotel and transfers. Regent use this port regularly and they point out in their own communication that there are lots of hotels. Unfortunately, they cost more than the compensation being offered. For example, the Hilton at the cruise port is more that £300 for the night in question without transfers.

This was to be our return cruise with Regent after 5 years, during which we have sailed with Seabourn, Scenic and Viking. The outcome of this will determine whether we book Regent ever again.

This is common in Reykjavik as the hotel situation is markedly different than pre-Covid. In ports like these, the cruise companies find it extremely difficult to secure large reservations in advance and they don't have the ability to make call around and find individual rooms. If they are offering 300 pounds per couple, that should be sufficient to cover a hotel for one night and your TA should be able to secure the hotel reservation. If I was your TA, I would also cover car service to the ship on your behalf as it wouldn't be much and would solve your issue.

Posted (edited)

Of course this notice came to you a week or two after you paid the balance due on the cruise!  The hotels in Reykjavik are much more than the compensation they are offering you.  Even the transfers from the airport which is an hour away are expensive.  We booked without the hotel as we were coming in a day early for our July 25 cruise on Splendor.  The Hotel Borg which is where they suggested a pre-cruise land excursion would stay is $450/night for a basic room (I am sure they get a discount).  Regent should have known this far longer than four months before the cruise.  As other threads suggest, this is cost-cutting at its worst. 

Edited by Bruce61
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

If I was your TA, I would also cover car service to the ship on your behalf as it wouldn't be much and would solve your issue.

Just the car service from  KEF to Reykjavik is $150+ each way!  Sure a good travel agent will do that for good customer relations but this is on Regent, not the TA.

Edited by Bruce61
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

Just the car service from  KEF to Reykjavik is $150+ each way!  Sure a good travel agent will do that for good customer relations but this is on Regent, not the TA.

Then you or your TA should call Regent ASAP  and insist that they fix this. If this occurred after your final payment, you insist that they refund your money as this is a material change. Or you have your TA book a hotel and help with the transfer. Either way, your TA is going to play a material part in fixing this. Thankfully, they have an account rep who exists for exactly this purpose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

Then you or your TA should call Regent ASAP  and insist that they fix this.

Already happening! I was particularly offended by them referring to the payment as a goodwill gesture.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yes, the 150 compensation is an insult UNLESS it is accompanied by the standard credit given when a concierge guest elects to book his/her own hotel and transfers. On our Alaska/Explorer cruise last summer we made this election due to reports of poor service at the selected hotel and transfer provider,— and the credit was more than 150 pp!

Reykjavik is not a large city, and most hotels there are on the small side. It is understandable that Regent would be unable to reserve a large block of rooms in a single hotel. But it is not understandable that Regent (being in the travel business) wouldn’t have known this much earlier in the game.

Edited by Dolebludger

11 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes, the 150 compensation is an insult UNLESS it is accompanied by the standard credit given when a concierge guest elects to book his/her own hotel and transfers. On our Alaska/Explorer cruise last summer we made this election due to reports of poor service at the selected hotel and transfer provider,— and the credit was more than 150 pp!

Reykjavik is not a large city, and most hotels there are on the small side. It is understandable that Regent would be unable to reserve a large block of rooms in a single hotel. But it is not understandable that Regent (being in the travel business) wouldn’t have known this much earlier in the game.

If we know it here, it stands to reason any TA who specializes in Regent should know it too.

Regent should have had hotel rooms booked 2-3 years in advance.  Regent knows their schedule that far out, why wait until 4 months out to try and book rooms.  There is not a plethora of nice hotels and they know this.  Very, very shoddy.  And before people get upset with me criticizing Regent - I love Regent, so hearing this makes it even more troubling.

• Like 4

There is a problem with the included excursions also. Not only on Regent, but on other lines that offer them. There have been reports of “no excursions available” on Regent and Silversea too. I understand the problem, and it is not being caused by the cruise lines. There are shortages in the hospitality industry world wide. But it does make advertising “unlimited free excursions” a bit wrong, doesn’t it?

• Like 3

I am glad we are not concierge and did not rely on Regents for the room. We have reservations at two different hotels in Reykjavik as we come in early so we needed a room on both ends. The amount offered does not cover the cost. And we got specials and good rates.

I ave cruised very little and this is the first time with Regent and watching this board is concerning me. My air has changed a few times with them dropping off my origination city. The excursions are in doubt. I really hope we don't regret this as I am excited about seeing Iceland. 

19 minutes ago, flare3192 said:

I am glad we are not concierge and did not rely on Regents for the room. We have reservations at two different hotels in Reykjavik as we come in early so we needed a room on both ends. The amount offered does not cover the cost. And we got specials and good rates.

I ave cruised very little and this is the first time with Regent and watching this board is concerning me. My air has changed a few times with them dropping off my origination city. The excursions are in doubt. I really hope we don't regret this as I am excited about seeing Iceland. 

To help clarify the facts - if you are in a Concierge room, Regent normally covers your hotel if they can.

In this case, as they cannot, you get a credit back for the room AND a credit of £150pp as a gesture of goodwill AND you get OBC.

Posted (edited)

Perhaps the original poster or someone else on this cruise can clarify if the offer was L 150 per person or per couple; and if this was in addition to the hotel credit or not, as well as if any OBC was actually offered, or just assumed to be offered.

Depending on these answers, we can all judge the offer as fair and reasonable or not.  Either way, it should not have been so late coming. This situation (a purported hotel shortage) should have been known to Regent long ago.

Edited by ON cruiser
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

Perhaps the original poster or someone else on this cruise can clarify if the offer was L 150 per person or per couple; and if this was in addition to the hotel credit or not, as well as if any OBC was actually offered, or just assumed to be offered.

Depending on these answers, we can all judge the offer as fair and reasonable or not.  Either way, it should not have been so late coming. This situation (a purported hotel shortage) should have been known to Regent long ago.

From his post...."It goes on to offer us £150pp as a "gesture of goodwill" towards paying for our own hotel and transfers, plus some OBC."

Every invoice I have ever seen includes a credit for the pre-cruise night if not used.

34 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

“Plus some OBC”. It would be informative to know the amount. 

Especially since my critical post assumed all they were getting was the $300. If they got a decent credit for the hotel plus $300 then I might have bitten my tongue.  Still makes no sense to happen at this time….

8 hours ago, DaveA said:

It goes on to offer us £150pp

27 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

my critical post assumed all they were getting was the $300

£150pp equates to approx $480US total

Interested to see whether this is on top of the hotel credit and how much OBC is given

No separate hotel credit has been offered. We have already paid for the cruise plus pre-cruise and transfers. Regent are now telling us we have to pay for the hotel and transfers ourselves and are offering to refund £150pp plus US$200pp OBC.

Note that £300 equates to US$380 not US$480, flossie009.

I see the OBC as a side issue. We should be fully compensated for the loss of hotel and transfers. I'm confident Regent will be persuaded to up their offer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaveA said:

No separate hotel credit has been offered. We have already paid for the cruise plus pre-cruise and transfers. Regent are now telling us we have to pay for the hotel and transfers ourselves and are offering to refund £150pp plus US$200pp OBC.

Note that £300 equates to US$380 not US$480, flossie009.

I see the OBC as a side issue. We should be fully compensated for the loss of hotel and transfers. I'm confident Regent will be persuaded to up their offer.

In the USA, Concierge rooms include 1 night hotel pre-cruise (check your reservation paperwork to see if this is listed). If you do not use, or Regent cannot provide, that room then Regent will credit you back the amount for the room. It has been this way for all the years I have done this and I have booked about 5,000 nights on Regent and seen this happen every time the situation occurred. I can't speak for what happens in the UK, but this is how it happens here. I would call your TA, ask where the credit is for the room because Regent has already identified the £150pp credit as a "gesture of goodwill" in their letter. Are you comfortable posting the letter so we can see it in its entirety? 

Posted (edited)

I don’t know the experience of others, but we have found that OBC on Regent is useful only in booking “extra cost” shore excursions. Everything else we might want is included. From our experience from a short stay in Iceland (back in 2017) I don’t think $380 USD will be sufficient to compensate for hotel and transfers. The airport is a very long way from town, and prices in Iceland are very high. Check your actual costs and discuss this with your TA and Regent.

As a repeat guest of Regent (many times) I am disappointed in it based on some recent threads, including this one. There was a similar recent thread about Regent being “unable” to provide transfers and hotel in Barbados. There are current threads about Regent’s failure to provide the advertised “unlimited free shore excursions”. I don’t like what is going on with Regent.

Edited by Dolebludger

Here's the entire communication from Regent:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR

PRE-CRUISE HOTEL AND TRANSFERS IN REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor,

We regret to inform you that we are unable to arrange your pre-cruise hotel and transfers in Reykjavik, Iceland. This is due to the limited availability of hotels that can accommodate the desired number of guests, while meeting the required standards that Regent is known for.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As a gesture of goodwill, we have added a hotel and transfer credit of £150 per guest to your account. This credit can be utilized towards making independent travel arrangements for your pre-cruise stay.

There are several excellent hotels in Reykjavik to choose from which you may review and reserve online or by contacting your travel professional.

In recognition of this inconvenience, we will also apply a $200 USD shipboard credit per guest to your onboard account. This can be spent on treatments in Serene Spa & Wellness, Regent Choice shore excursions, in the ship’s boutique, or on a special bottle from the Connoisseur wine menu.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ Reservation Department.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Seven Seas Splendor.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

10 minutes ago, DaveA said:

Here's the entire communication from Regent:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR

PRE-CRUISE HOTEL AND TRANSFERS IN REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. As a gesture of goodwill, we have added a hotel and transfer credit of £150 per guest to your account. This credit can be utilized towards making independent travel arrangements for your pre-cruise stay.

In recognition of this inconvenience, we will also apply a $200 USD shipboard credit per guest to your onboard account. This can be spent on treatments in Serene Spa & Wellness, Regent Choice shore excursions, in the ship’s boutique, or on a special bottle from the Connoisseur wine menu.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ Reservation Department.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Seven Seas Splendor.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

This makes more sense. That amount is consistent with what Regent typically refunds for an unused pre-cruise hotel....although there is no "goodwill" in crediting you back money you paid for the hotel they are not providing. At least with the $400 OBC you can buy a couple of decent bottles of wine to bring home.