tropical expedition for a younger group, alternative to ponant?

3ric

Hi all, I took my first cruise with Ponant and really loved it but I am looking for alternatives to compare that may fit my group better.

Friends are looking to come with us so we would be a group of 6-9, early 40s. I loved the tropical expedition with ponant because we felt like in the middle of nowhere, in nature, being at places that we would not usually access. I really the zodiacs taking us to different islands/beaches and I am not looking to go visit towns. Although given our group, a bigger pool would be ideal so we can actually swim on board.
I do want a smaller ship, (<600, ideally <300 but it seems for a bigger pool you need a bigger ship).

Any suggestion of cruises to consider?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 3ric said:

Hi all, I took my first cruise with Ponant and really loved it but I am looking for alternatives to compare that may fit my group better.

Friends are looking to come with us so we would be a group of 6-9, early 40s. I loved the tropical expedition with ponant because we felt like in the middle of nowhere, in nature, being at places that we would not usually access. I really the zodiacs taking us to different islands/beaches and I am not looking to go visit towns. Although given our group, a bigger pool would be ideal so we can actually swim on board.
I do want a smaller ship, (<600, ideally <300 but it seems for a bigger pool you need a bigger ship). rentacardubai

I also visiting same place with my friends next week, I love it when I here such things from a person. Enjoy yourself there.

Edited by asadakbar

Thanks! i looked at Hapag Lloyd, it looks interesting and definitely a bit cheaper but most of the cruises are 12+ days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 8:52 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Have you considered the Paul Gauguin?

I think thats ponant now, so not really.

I did find emerald and it looks kind of fun. or the celebrity flora but the food doesnt look great and the pool is tiny.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 3ric said:

I think thats ponant now, so not really.

I did find emerald and it looks kind of fun. or the celebrity flora but the food doesnt look great and the pool is tiny.

No, Paul Gauguin is a line that sails Tahiti and the South Pacific. Nothing to do with Ponant.

Think you are asking for a combination that does not exist. You need to either adjust what you find acceptable or go to a land resort.

Edited by Texas Tillie

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

No, Paul Gauguin is a line that sails Tahiti and the South Pacific. Nothing to do with Ponant.

Think you are asking for a combination that does not exist. You need to either adjust what you find acceptable or go to a land resort.

https://www.cruisetradenews.com/ponant-acquires-paul-gauguin-cruises/

I am looking at the options available and I think there is already a bunch of good options all with their personnality, so i do think we will find something. Ponant was one of them but it is very french (i dont mind but some in the group may) so i was just trying to identify competitors. Emerald azzura looks promessing. Looking at the pool on much bigger ships, i was surprised they didnt look that much bigger so in comparison the luxury cruise pool look better ahah! 

thanks everyone

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, 3ric said:

https://www.cruisetradenews.com/ponant-acquires-paul-gauguin-cruises/

I am looking at the options available and I think there is already a bunch of good options all with their personnality, so i do think we will find something. Ponant was one of them but it is very french (i dont mind but some in the group may) so i was just trying to identify competitors. Emerald azzura looks promessing. Looking at the pool on much bigger ships, i was surprised they didnt look that much bigger so in comparison the luxury cruise pool look better ahah! 

thanks everyone

Paul Gauguin is operated as a completely different entity. Think about all the different lines that Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL own. It has always had a French vibe as Tahiti is French. I need to investigate Emerald, is it the same people who operate the river boats? Have never seen it mentioned anywhere. P.S. Just looked, 100 passengers, operates in Euros.

Edited by Texas Tillie

Posted (edited)

Pools on cruise ships are always small. Water is very heavy and the pools are usually on the top deck. Those two factors can affect the balance of the ship when the water starts sloshing around. 

On a tropical cruise, I prefer to spend my time in the ocean, maybe just use the pool to cool off.

Edited by Pudgesmom

On 3/16/2024 at 10:47 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Paul Gauguin is operated as a completely different entity. Think about all the different lines that Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL own. It has always had a French vibe as Tahiti is French. I need to investigate Emerald, is it the same people who operate the river boats? Have never seen it mentioned anywhere. P.S. Just looked, 100 passengers, operates in Euros.

yes it is apparently the same people. I think their ocean cruises are quite new, not many reviews although some are existing.(https://www.emeraldcruises.com/yacht)