opinions on Tahiti with Windstar or Oceania for those who have done both.

susiesan

I am looking to return to Tahiti after visiting on  Renaissance cruise back in the 80's. Time frame is February to March 2025. I had hoped to visit Tahiti on a Windstar sailing ship but they only use the Star Breeze now year round, I'm disappointed. I was on her before she was stretched and did enjoy the ship and the experience, having sailed with Windstar 4 times and with Oceania 6 times. Oceania does this cruise with Nautica. Emphasis for us on this cruise is being in the water to snorkel and swim as there's not a lot of sightseeing in Tahiti.

I have prices on both:

Windstar Star Breeze March 13 ,7 nights, category window suite, cruise only, 5 ports, no sea days, nonrefundable deposit $100

prices out at $473 per day per person plus $400 OBC and a pre or post hotel night or $200 more OBC

Nautica Feb. 5 10 nights, category C1 outside, simply more $600 credit, 6 ports, 2 sea days, nonrefundable deposit $300

prices out at $333 per day per person plus $100 OBC from O as bronze level

The Windstar ship is in the ports much much longer than Oceania is. Windstar has the water sports platform, Oceania does not.

Windstar has 312 pax, Oceania has 620. Both cruises involve tendering.

If anyone has cruised Tahiti on both lines, which did you prefer? Because I've sailed recently with O and AZ on the R ships I'm thinking to do something different on this cruise.

Thanks for the feedback.

Been on PG 8 times. Windstar this coming July. While Oceania is not a big ship 600+ passengers is still big for these ports. I would choose the smaller ship. If it works for your schedule I would try to delay until at least April when the weather may be better 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Been on PG 8 times. Windstar this coming July. While Oceania is not a big ship 600+ passengers is still big for these ports. I would choose the smaller ship. If it works for your schedule I would try to delay until at least April when the weather may be better 

I agree, smaller ship, we went in May the first time WS went back to Tahiti, we crossed the Pacific on the Spirit, sad they took the sailing ship out because we thought the Tahitian Lagoon screamed sails. I think on the WS motor yachts it will be very beautiful. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Did Wind Song Tahiti once, Wind Spirit Tahiti four times. Oceania Regatta Tahiti twice. Won't be doing Breeze till October,

Despite having a marvelous time on Regatta, WS will always get the nod for time in port, closeness to the water, size and authenticity. The motu dinner in BB is pretty much unsurpassed too.

• Like 1

Hi Nancy, glad to see you are still kicking around. I am leaning towards Windstar especially for the same reasons you listed. Oceania has much shorter times in port and is always cancelling port calls. Once I book I may reach out for more advice. I'd be booking cruise only, doing my own air and hotels.

I decided to cruise Tahiti with Windstar. I booked Dreams of Tahiti 7 day cruise only for April 10, 2025. For the perk I picked the post cruise hotel stay. I am in cabin 400. Windstar is one of the few lines that still have a cruise only option, no included drink package, shore ex, etc. I'll do my own air with UA points when flights open up in May.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

I decided to cruise Tahiti with Windstar. I booked Dreams of Tahiti 7 day cruise only for April 10, 2025. For the perk I picked the post cruise hotel stay. I am in cabin 400. Windstar is one of the few lines that still have a cruise only option, no included drink package, shore ex, etc. I'll do my own air with UA points when flights open up in May.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I simply do not need WIFI on an hourly basis, going ashore does it, we drink no more than 3 glasses of wine/ beer a day sometimes nothing between the 2 of us. Given my status we gratefully get the terrific laundry. Why should I pay  for others. I am really glad WS does not have inclusive tours, my interests are different and touring on a bus is simply not for us, sometimes maybe but hardly ever. We hope WS  stays the way they are giving people choices on what they pay for. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 3

On 3/3/2024 at 2:03 PM, FlightMedic555 said:

I did book the Windstar cruise for April 10, 2025. This current March it has been raining every day in Papeete and I was concerned next March could be similar. I do have the flexibility of when I travel being recently retired.

If you look at the monthly weather the best chance for minimal rain would be June-Sept.  this is when we have always gone, actually July or August, and last year had 1 day of rain over our 15 nights.  Obviously it could be lousy weather at any time of the year but July-August is historicsllly the best 

And it's not just the rain that can be an issue in our winter (their summer), it's the humidity. You're much better off going in our summer months: July (altho we found July to be quite windy), August and September for comfortable weather.  It's pretty much always 84 degrees, year-round, but 84 degrees feels much hotter when it's super humid. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 11:15 AM, susiesan said:

I did book the Windstar cruise for April 10, 2025. This current March it has been raining every day in Papeete and I was concerned next March could be similar. I do have the flexibility of when I travel being recently retired.

Susie

Best time of year to go to French Polynesia

BTW  ... I have 3 Star Breeze cruises in FP coming up over the next 16 months. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

@Strenz hi- always love your posts and we love Windstar, and especially Windsurf, as much as you do. 

I have an off topic question for you. I’ve seen you post a couple of times that you “don’t want to pay for others.” It’s in reference to addons like the drink package.  Could you please explain your thoughts behind this? Thanks!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

@Strenz hi- always love your posts and we love Windstar, and especially Windsurf, as much as you do. 

I have an off topic question for you. I’ve seen you post a couple of times that you “don’t want to pay for others.” It’s in reference to addons like the drink package.  Could you please explain your thoughts behind this? Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words. I do not want to pay for other people's alcohol mostly. If a company goes all inclusive the rates will go up. That is indirectly paying for other's alcohol, WI-FI or tours etc. Given our status, the fact we do not take trips less than 10-14 days, WI-FI and laundry are not the issues but we drink maybe one or two drinks a day, many days my husband does not drink, indirectly we do want to pay higher cruise prices for all inclusive alcohol. We would never want to pay for all inclusive tours either, not fond of bus tours, our interests are completely different than most people's. I am not saying better simply different. I do not want to see what the world sees, I travel to see/ learn what we love. We cruise because  we love the water and really do not love driving. Hope this is clear. That is what I meant. For us WS remains reasonable, not wealthy people but love to travel. Enjoy and thanks again. 

• Like 2