Sun Princess Signature Benefits and Experiences

6 hours ago, cricketts said:

I agree!! I've always liked booking a mini-suite because of the bathroom... now, on the Sun, the mini-suites do not have a bathtub! 😞 Princess has lost their way and don't understand their market... Celebrity Retreat has become our #1 choice - lounge (with a bar!), special dining room with an upgraded menu and a sundeck... doesn't seem to be much to ask... just ask the Yacht Club (MSC), or Haven (NCL)!!

MSC YC is more of a suite experience.  Butler, great lounge with bar and a really nice dining room. But, Princess Sun does a a really nice suite area and pool.  The dining room is fine but who knows what changes are coming.   MSC might be the best value if you are cruising for a suite experience.

@FamilyAtSea.travel - we share your appreciation of the MSC Yacht Club when we want to be spoiled.  When Princess introduced this new ship class we decided to give the Sanctuary (or was it Signature? class; the names change so often I'm confused) a go to see how it compared to MSC's YC.  The price we paid in January 2024 for our January 2025 cruise in an S9 (basically a mini-suite with the original perks including a separate suite dining room that I'm not sure will exist in January) was what we had just paid for a week in MSC's YC. 

Within a month or so of our booking, Princess changed categories for other cabins, reduced Sanctuary suite perks, and increased the fare by over 50%.  We never would have booked it at that price and we're still considering cancelling before final payment.  Neither of us can get excited about this cruise which is a first in over 30 cruises.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

This will be our first Princess cruise and it was over $20k for a Vista Suite for our family of four. 

I know most of you don't care (perhaps are even happy) but Park 19 being abandoned was a huge disappointment. 

Now reading about some of the other changes coming in October, it's hard to imagine this will be worth the huge premium. 

For what we paid for this, we could cruise for 3 weeks in the Yacht Club in a true ship-in-a-ship sanctuary, not what appears to be a poorly constructed afterthought as this appears to be. 

It also appears many other areas are equally blundered, like the Dome that does not have enough seating for their shows.

We're not going to cancel the cruise but I'm guessing this will be a one and done experience for us with Princess.

I wonder if their executive team knows how poorly their entire rollout of this maligned ship is going to impact their future revenue from people who choose not to book with them again after this. 🤷‍♂️

😪

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

@FamilyAtSea.travel - we share your appreciation of the MSC Yacht Club when we want to be spoiled.  When Princess introduced this new ship class we decided to give the Sanctuary (or was it Signature? class; the names change so often I'm confused) a go to see how it compared to MSC's YC.  The price we paid in January 2024 for our January 2025 cruise in an S9 (basically a mini-suite with the original perks including a separate suite dining room that I'm not sure will exist in January) was what we had just paid for a week in MSC's YC. 

Within a month or so of our booking, Princess changed categories for other cabins, reduced Sanctuary suite perks, and increased the fare by over 50%.  We never would have booked it at that price and we're still considering cancelling before final payment.  Neither of us can get excited about this cruise which is a first in over 30 cruises.

I always try to get my mindset right before a cruise so I'm not disappointed, but this is the first cruise I can ever remember being disappointed about before we actually go on the cruise. 

We cruise 10x/year but we haven't sailed on Carnival since our honeymoon over a decade ago and seeing how Princess handles this has reminded me why that's been a good decision. 

We aren't brand loyal to any cruise line as they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but Princess appears to be a brand to avoid.

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 2:24 AM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I was always cautious that Princess would screw up the “ship within a ship” concept and was pleasantly surprised when I sailed in April. Then they changed it all and I probably won’t sail in a suite on the sphere class. Back to Celebrity for that experience. The suite experience on the other Princess ships is laughable. 

We are sailing in a Suite next month on Sun before any changes take place and intend to enjoy every minute. However We don't like the sound of this at all and are planning to cancel our two cruises booked on Sun for next year. The full suite experience has been devalued with the introduction of Sanctuary class and the rumoured changes of moving the restaurants around is the final straw. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

We are sailing in a Suite next month on Sun before any changes take place and intend to enjoy every minute. However We don't like the sound of this at all and are planning to cancel our two cruises booked on Sun for next year. The full suite experience has been devalued with the introduction of Sanctuary class and the rumoured changes of moving the restaurants around is the final straw. 

Yes, right now, it's a nice experience.  After the change we would sail on Sun/Star again but would take the lowest possible cabin that gets suite perks.  I know that will rule out the lounge but that is fine.  The prices for the Penthouse ((Vista) cabin have shot through the roof.

I still think the sun deck won't be any different just more people.  But it's a lovely pool and the service was amazing.  But the lack of ANY shade scared me then and will scare me in the future in the Caribbean.

And we still have our own dinning "room' with (hopefully) no wait.  I don't like the Signature dinning room at all.  It's very boring in decor and far too bright.  But I will miss that we won't have our own kitchen and therefore eating the same food as the MDR.  

It has lost it's charm but at least I know that going in now and will make new decisions.  I'm not ruling it out just yet.  But it does lower it below Celebrity's Retreat, for me anyway.

1 minute ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Yes, right now, it's a nice experience.  After the change we would sail on Sun/Star again but would take the lowest possible cabin that gets suite perks.  I know that will rule out the lounge but that is fine.  The prices for the Penthouse ((Vista) cabin have shot through the roof.

I still think the sun deck won't be any different just more people.  But it's a lovely pool and the service was amazing.  But the lack of ANY shade scared me then and will scare me in the future in the Caribbean.

And we still have our own dinning "room' with (hopefully) no wait.  I don't like the Signature dinning room at all.  It's very boring in decor and far too bright.  But I will miss that we won't have our own kitchen and therefore eating the same food as the MDR.  

It has lost it's charm but at least I know that going in now and will make new decisions.  I'm not ruling it out just yet.  But it does lower it below Celebrity's Retreat, for me anyway.

You should give MSC's Yacht Club a try if you haven't yet... It blows the Retreat out of the water. 

We love Celebrity, but the Retreat isn't worth the premium based on what you can get in the YC for 30% less. 

We are trying one more Retreat sailing on the Apex in November and if that's not better, we will just book Aqua-class in the future.

We still love Celebrity, their Retreat just doesn't measure up unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

You should give MSC's Yacht Club a try if you haven't yet... It blows the Retreat out of the water. 

We love Celebrity, but the Retreat isn't worth the premium based on what you can get in the YC for 30% less. 

We are trying one more Retreat sailing on the Apex in November and if that's not better, we will just book Aqua-class in the future.

We still love Celebrity, their Retreat just doesn't measure up unfortunately. 

Unfortunately the Retreat lost a lot of value when they stopped including gratuities and nixed the OBC. Replacing butlers with a “team” of concierge reps didn’t help either. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Fortunately they went back to the traditional butler route but I agree completely with everything you said!

On all ships? That’s good to know!

I’ll stay with Celebrity. The price doesn’t bother me too much and I really really like their product.  

I have never heard good things about MSC outside of their YC so that turns me off. Would need to do more research before I tried them. 

But that is what is great about cruising. There is something for everyone!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

If the new dining venue for Sanctuary class does not have its own kitchen, the Suite experience will be really downgraded. The Suite breakfast in Sabatini's or the Crown Grill on the other ships is amazing and it is the most important perk to us when sailing in a suite on Princess.  We are now dipping our toes with Explora Journeys next year to see if we like it. Small ship, all suite with amazing reviews and £4K cheaper than the Suites we currently have booked on Sun for next year. Really think they have dropped the ball on Sun, as we were led along the path to expect a more Celebrity Retreat experience, instead the product will become a downgraded suite experience compared to their other ships. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I’ll stay with Celebrity. The price doesn’t bother me too much and I really really like their product.  

I have never heard good things about MSC outside of their YC so that turns me off. Would need to do more research before I tried them. 

MSC is different but I really love their YC.  We have  a great time when we venture out of YC.  They have a very nice champagne bar and we like they’re crazy, or should I say unique shows?  Service in YC is the best I have experienced.  Food by the pool is really good and again the service puts it over the top.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Have stayed in and out of YC on MSc multiple times, for both.

Next cruise on MSc in Nov, in basic Fantastica experience in an interior. Far cry from YC!  And we're Absolutely looking forward to it. Departing from Martinique, 6 islands and a sea day, fab itinerary...

Their ships are gorgeous, the shows are different, loads of live music, actual nightclubs that are open late,  etc. 

When we do stay YC, we're definitely not those who stay solely in there. We're out for the shows, clubs, specialty dining, the champagne bars are great, the atrium entertainment is fun, the theme parties are so fun as so so many people participate in the dressing up, etc.. 

Most of the complaints about MSc are from those who didn't do any research - MSc prices differently than mainstream lines - and what's covered/included is based on Experience booked (basic meals and entertainment included for everyone obviously). Things like anytime dining or room service delivery or such are all based on experience booked. Book the cheapest Experience, get the most limited experience - assigned dining (and you get the least desirable times), least desirable room locations, pay for room service delivery and so forth. Book higher experiences, get more included.   Also, MSc is very Continental European on style. Waiters aren't checking on you every 5 minutes, queues are non-existent, etc.  With a much, much more diverse demographic, things run differently - which to me, is a major part of their charm! 5-7 languages for announcements, menus are all in 5 languages, very diverse demographic in guests making for some great cultural exchanges, etc.  They're tied with Princess for our go to lines.....go figure.  

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

If the new dining venue for Sanctuary class does not have its own kitchen, the Suite experience will be really downgraded. The Suite breakfast in Sabatini's or the Crown Grill on the other ships is amazing and it is the most important perk to us when sailing in a suite on Princess.  We are now dipping our toes with Explora Journeys next year to see if we like it. Small ship, all suite with amazing reviews and £4K cheaper than the Suites we currently have booked on Sun for next year. Really think they have dropped the ball on Sun, as we were led along the path to expect a more Celebrity Retreat experience, instead the product will become a downgraded suite experience compared to their other ships. 

Totally agree with a lot that you said.  I was highly skeptical going in and was pleasantly surprised.  Now Princess seems to be screwing it up like I expected them to.  But I know what I am getting before I book.  You booked and they changed it on you.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Next cruise on MSc in Nov, in basic Fantastica experience in an interior. Far cry from YC!  And we're Absolutely looking forward to it. Departing from Martinique, 6 islands and a sea day, fab itinerary...

Their ships are gorgeous, the shows are different, loads of live music, actual nightclubs that are open late,  etc. 

When we do stay YC, we're definitely not those who stay solely in there. We're out for the shows, clubs, specialty dining, the champagne bars are great, the atrium entertainment is fun, the theme parties are so fun as so so many people participate in the dressing up, etc.. 

Most of the complaints about MSc are from those who didn't do any research - MSc prices differently than mainstream lines - and what's covered/included is based on Experience booked (basic meals and entertainment included for everyone obviously). Things like anytime dining or room service delivery or such are all based on experience booked. Book the cheapest Experience, get the most limited experience - assigned dining (and you get the least desirable times), least desirable room locations, pay for room service delivery and so forth. Book higher experiences, get more included.   Also, MSc is very Continental European on style. Waiters aren't checking on you every 5 minutes, queues are non-existent, etc.  With a much, much more diverse demographic, things run differently - which to me, is a major part of their charm! 5-7 languages for announcements, menus are all in 5 languages, very diverse demographic in guests making for some great cultural exchanges, etc.  They're tied with Princess for our go to lines.....go figure.  

Thanks for the information.  And I really can't rule out a complete brand when I haven't done ANY research (well, except for one.  🤪).  Although some of the things you did put in your post already have me cringing.  I'll do some research.  Something for me to do this weekend!  🙂

Just now, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Thanks for the information.  And I really can't rule out a complete brand when I haven't done ANY research (well, except for one.  🤪).  Although some of the things you did put in your post already have me cringing.  I'll do some research.  Something for me to do this weekend!  🙂

I usually don't do this, but I recently shared a comparison between MSC's Yacht Club and Celebrity's Retreat that seems particularly relevant here that may be helpful.

No pressure to watch, but figured it may be right up your alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UddrB3qfv2U

image.thumb.png.09ff3c99f2b19d3f50064ea86f4f602b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

I’ve sailed MSC once on a Mediterranean cruise out of Genoa and it was not YC. We were with our two oldest who were 11 and 14 at the time, during Christmas break. We all loved it for the most part, but as frequent travelers to Europe we tend to venture outside the American bubble more than most.  Their itineraries are fantastic, the freedom of choice in how much you spend for what you get is most helpful, and the international passenger base, at least for us, were strong selling points. All of that being said, we haven’t been back but that’s mostly out of line loyalty. Yes I know about status match but it’s still not the same. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

If the new dining venue for Sanctuary class does not have its own kitchen, the Suite experience will be really downgraded.

This is one of my worries as well.  I’m trying to keep an open mind though, remembering that on Celebrity S and M class ships, Luminae and Blu share kitchens with the MDR and don’t seem to suffer for it. I can’t speak to Edge class until next year on Ascent. 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

This is one of my worries as well.  I’m trying to keep an open mind though, remembering that on Celebrity S and M class ships, Luminae and Blu share kitchens with the MDR and don’t seem to suffer for it. I can’t speak to Edge class until next year on Ascent. 

That will be why we thought the breakfast wasn’t that great in Luminae. Edge wasn’t great tbh compared to the Suite breakfast in one of the Specialty restaurants. Enjoy your cruises. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Since the Sanctuary restaurant will now technically again (after Oct 14) be a separate area of the MDR (just like on other Princess ships), I expect that the meals will be standard MDR meals just like in the Reserve restaurants of the other ships (with perhaps one additional entree per night).

Prepared by the same cooks who will be churning out hundreds of meals for all diners in the MDR.  As opposed to a dedicated kitchen for the Signature/Reserve restaurants on a different floor that could focus more on quality rather than quantity.

4 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I usually don't do this, but I recently shared a comparison between MSC's Yacht Club and Celebrity's Retreat that seems particularly relevant here that may be helpful.

No pressure to watch, but figured it may be right up your alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UddrB3qfv2U

image.thumb.png.09ff3c99f2b19d3f50064ea86f4f602b.png

Thanks for sharing!

I'd be interested in your comparisons for the NCL Haven and the Royal Suite Class - as well as the new Sun Princess ship-within-a-ship concept.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cricketts said:

Thanks for sharing!

I'd be interested in your comparisons for the NCL Haven and the Royal Suite Class - as well as the new Sun Princess ship-within-a-ship concept.

Thank you!

I have sailings in all of these coming up so I'll definitely be creating all of these. 

We just upgraded to a Sky Jr Suite on the Utopia in a few weeks. No butler service but I'm curious to see how things compare. 

• Like 1