Will Regent be providing solar eclipse glasses

As many may know, there will be a solar eclipse in North America on April 8, 2024. Depending on the location of the Grandeur within the Atlantic ocean, passengers on the ship may be able to see a partial solar eclipse, however, special glasses (which can be quite inexpensive) are necessary to avoid eye damage. Does anyone know of Regent will be providing eye protection. (this is another instance where the assistance of Michael Moore would be very helpful)

Jennefer Teegen (jteegen@rssc.com), the Director of Guest Experience and Loyalty, is the person to contact with your question. As sorely missed as he will be, I don’t think Mike Moore would have been helpful as this is not an IT question.

Dave

• Like 1

Appears Grandeur is only Regent ship that will be anywhere close to being in range of eclipse, even partially. I will be on Splendor and appears we will be out of range. Anyway, how in the world would you expect anyone on this board to have a definitive answer to this question? Even if we get one from Regent, if I were interested in viewing it, would bring my own glasses. Would not trust an answer from Miami.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rcandkc said:

We are in direct viewing area.  We got our glasses months ago and made sure we got the REAL deal.  You have to be careful to not get counterfeit. 

I did the same.  At least I think I did, having researched companies that are reported to sell properly certified glasses.  I must admit though, I do wonder just how real the issue really is.  I mean if there really was a bunch of companies selling ineffective glasses, wouldn't there be a bunch of people suffering vision damage after each eclipse?  And if this has indeed been happening, why hasn't the press ever reported a large-scale problem?  I'm not willing to take the chance, but I do think it's likely not actually a big issue.

The safest way to observe an eclipse is the method I learned in elementary school. Pock a pinhole in a piece of paper and focus the light onto another piece of paper behind it.  You will easily see the current shape of the eclipse with no risk of eye damage. All four of my grandchildren have done this with no cost and no risk. By the way, I will also be on this cruise. I will be the guy on an open deck with two pieces of paper.

• Haha 1

wish------

Mike Moore advised via his Post on another Thread that his time w/Regent ended earlier this year. He did not identify a successor. 

Reference Post #2:  Jennefer Teegen is currently onboard Mariner for a segment (or more) of its World Cruise.  

GOARMY!

On 3/17/2024 at 6:42 PM, GOARMY said:

wish------

Mike Moore advised via his Post on another Thread that his time w/Regent ended earlier this year. He did not identify a successor. 

Reference Post #2:  Jennefer Teegen is currently onboard Mariner for a segment (or more) of its World Cruise.  

GOARMY!

I am not sure there is a successor, I think they eliminated the position.