Queen Victoria aft cabins deck 5

Bedruthen

We have the choice of cabin numbers 5190, 5192 or 5196, for a two week cruise in the Med.

It’s clear that these cabins all have a different internal layout, with 5190 being narrower and generally smaller, however the smaller internal space is compensated by its huge wraparound balcony.
As this will be our first time in grills, we don’t know if a larger balcony is important as there is the separate grills open area. In our normal balcony cabin we use the balcony a lot as we don’t like the proximity of other sunloungers on the open decks, but maybe it’s okay on the separate grills open spaces? Would welcome any input as to which room you would choose and would you sacrifice the internal space for the larger balcony? 

Not having been aft on deck five for  many years, I have no idea if these were included in the refurb. but having had the corner deck five cabins in the past, on a sunny cruise, we would always have gone for the larger balcony if available.

• Like 1

We were in 5190 for 3 weeks last year and loved the balcony though we often had cold and windy weather.  The room is a bit of an odd shape and did not have the refurb of those on higher decks, but we were very comfortable.  

• Like 1

If it's a larger balcony you are after - Deck 4 is always a good choice for Britannia and PG, they are bigger than the decks above by some margin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

If it's a larger balcony you are after - Deck 4 is always a good choice for Britannia and PG, they are bigger than the decks above by some margin

QG too although the two we booked were part of our Covid cancellations so we never got to experience the deeper balconies on four.

• Like 1

I've just booked 5189 which is the other side to 5190 as I liked the wraparound balcony.  I too pondered over whether it was worth booking it over 5194 (which is a bigger room and less expensive) but I felt the ability to see more from outside and feel less hemmed in was worth it.  The difference in size seems negligible.  We're taking a winter cruise so will be packing all our ski outfits to enjoy the fresh air! They weren't part of the refit and there are some pictures via this link of 5190 which might be helpful and a video on You tube showing someone walk from a similar cabin on deck 4 to another to show the difference.  Hope the links work.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/stateroom-details.php?ship=Queen-Victoria&cabin=5190

• Like 1

I agree with one of the other posts, wrap around balcony sounds fab but when we were in that cabin, more times than not,we couldn't sit out because of the wind that howls round the corner 🥶

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

I agree with one of the other posts, wrap around balcony sounds fab but when we were in that cabin, more times than not,we couldn't sit out because of the wind that howls round the corner 🥶

We have had quite a few aft cabins with aft and side balconies between decks five, six and seven over the years and have never been precluded from sitting out because of windy weather. There has always been an area to avoid the wind but also, maybe the time of year and cruise destination comes into  play here.

With the overhang too, one can sit out in light rain and not get wet. Sun and shade on the same balcony.

Brilliant.

• Like 1

5196?  Is this a typo error?

We have been in the aft suites deck 5, on QE and loved them; our preferred location.

Personally we avoid the corner cabins as enjoy the considerably larger inside space of the Q6s and the balcony is plenty large enough for 2.😊 There are comfy rattan recliners with foot rests as well as a small table with chairs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As long as there have been no structural changes, I have interior photos of what is now 5189 taken ten years ago, and I had a peek into what is now 5191 if you'd like to see the photos to compare.

5190 should be a mirror image of 5189.

edit

Time passes, make that nearly thirteen years ago!!!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

We’ve done most of the QG aft suites at some point or another on QV and a number of different ones on QE.  Once you’ve stayed in Grills it becomes rather hard to do anything else! I can honestly say all of the suites are fab, and I’m sure you’ll love whichever you choose.  On QV it’s only the ones on deck 8 that have been refurbed differently (we really liked those, but there’s a lot of glass and shiny wood to polish which I’m sure is much harder for the staff so probably better they’ve not rolled that decor out across all the QGs).  On deck 5 we would typically go for the larger room vs the corner aft - but it’s purely personal choice and depends on the destination.  For med cruises we typically find we go up to the top deck for the very comfortable loungers, so mainly use the balcony for pre dinner drinks and sail aways etc.  We’ve always found lots of space on the Grills deck and table service for drinks (and fresh fruit, sandwiches, cold towels etc often brought round) so it suits us.  The aft corner suites are an odd shape (as previous posters have said) but they are still a good size and we found them perfectly comfortable for a few weeks! So whatever you choose I’m sure you’ll love - couple of photos here for the aft corner suite 5195  (apols - not the best photos had just moved from a different aft suite to that one) - this was QE April 2022 (you’ll spot the face masks which date it!) but the room layout is the same from memory on QV (albeit a few years since we’ve done aft corner on QV).  

Hope you have a lovely time and thoroughly enjoy the Grills experience 👍😀

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3010.jpeg

IMG_3011.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We love the aft suites too but after having the corner ones we now will definitely stick to the middle ones in future and tbh we really don't need such a huge corner  balcony one anyway and as Sue B says,once you've done Queens grills,there's no going back 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We preferred the corner cabins aft on deck five but here's a photo of what is now 5191 and its balcony. I peeked in and took them as we set off to disembark so it was rushed.

P1000161.JPG

P1000162.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I see the Southampton weather was at its best. 😀

This was from July'11 on our very first Cunard cruise. Luckily, the weather improved once we got into the North Sea. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just adding a few more pictures in case they’re useful - I had to go back through my sail history but found we stayed in 5191 QV in 2018 - couple of photos from when we first boarded (never my best shots as I’m always too excited to be cruising again!)

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.

There's an almost complete overhang from deck six now. We can still see part of deck four's balcony from deck six so I'm assuming the deck five overhang isn't as 'obtrusive'.

• Like 2

@Victoria2

Yes I think you’re absolutely right - if you are in the Q1s on deck 6 you won’t be able to see any of the actual balcony of the Q5 or Q6 suites on deck 5 (you definitely used to be able to until they changed the tiered back of the QV) - having done a before and after in those aft suites I’d say I prefer the additional privacy now afforded in the deck 5 aft suites vs those on deck 4 (but the ones on 4 are slightly bigger room/balcony) 👍 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

This was from July'11 on our very first Cunard cruise. Luckily, the weather improved once we got into the North Sea. 🙂

I think we were on the same cruise, first time on QV, in a P1. I resolved always to go in QG in future, because the P1 was so narrow and claustrophobic.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think we were on the same cruise, first time on QV, in a P1. I resolved always to go in QG in future, because the P1 was so narrow and claustrophobic.

We seemed to have had a few mutual cruises 🙂 and a mutual 'sunshine'  cruise cancelled in '22 if I remember correctly.

We will cruise with QV again but not this year. Sadly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sue-B said:

Just adding a few more pictures in case they’re useful - I had to go back through my sail history but found we stayed in 5191 QV in 2018 - couple of photos from when we first boarded (never my best shots as I’m always too excited to be cruising again!)

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

Thank you for the photo of the deck 5 balcony. I hadn’t picked up that it was completely sheltered by the deck above. Not sure that I like that! Would I be right to think that with the corner aft, the side balcony is more open to the sun? Do all the aft cabin decks  aside from deck 4  , have that overhang. Given a preference we would go for part open, part shaded

Edited by Bedruthen

@Bedruthen

Just gone back through photos to try and look, and deck 5 corner balcony definitely had sunshine on it (this photo was on QE but it’s the equivalent cabin).  I’m pretty sure we still got sunshine on the balcony in the middle suites too on deck 5 (will try and find photos for you) but it will depend on which way the ship is sailing (or docked).  If the med is as hot as last year you may definitely want some shelter from the sun on your balcony. The grills sun terrace is full sunshine friendly for those that love the sun with some very well placed shaded areas for those that don’t like full sun!  

Have a fabulous trip with whatever suite you choose 😀

IMG_3137.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sue-B said:

@Bedruthen

Just gone back through photos to try and look, and deck 5 corner balcony definitely had sunshine on it (this photo was on QE but it’s the equivalent cabin).  I’m pretty sure we still got sunshine on the balcony in the middle suites too on deck 5 (will try and find photos for you) but it will depend on which way the ship is sailing (or docked).  If the med is as hot as last year you may definitely want some shelter from the sun on your balcony. The grills sun terrace is full sunshine friendly for those that love the sun with some very well placed shaded areas for those that don’t like full sun!  

Have a fabulous trip with whatever suite you choose 😀

Thank you Sue, your photos have been really helpful. We will go for the corner cabin, then there’s something for everyone, sun lovers or not!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sue-B said:

@Victoria2

Yes I think you’re absolutely right - if you are in the Q1s on deck 6 you won’t be able to see any of the actual balcony of the Q5 or Q6 suites on deck 5 (you definitely used to be able to until they changed the tiered back of the QV) - having done a before and after in those aft suites I’d say I prefer the additional privacy now afforded in the deck 5 aft suites vs those on deck 4 (but the ones on 4 are slightly bigger room/balcony) 👍 

We got  a last minute corner deck four, now 4189, to join a five day cruise with friends many years ago.

Not the best cabin we've ever had.

Food smells from the Britannia restaurant

The notorious QV vibration issue felt through the pillows at night [to be fair, she did go in for pod repairs a month or so after our cruise]

The bathroom facilities had a shower curtain and the loo wasn't separate to the bath and shower.

The vibrations might have ceased and the Britannia might have a more effective ventilation procedure but I would have thought the bathroom would basically be the same unless a shower door has been installed.

The plus point is the depth of the balcony with regards to any deck five overhang, gives a choice of sun and shade when the ship and sun are at the correct angle.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We seemed to have had a few mutual cruises 🙂 and a mutual 'sunshine'  cruise cancelled in '22 if I remember correctly.

We will cruise with QV again but not this year. Sadly.

I think there were actually two cruises cancelled by Covid which we were both due to be on. However, luckily, it is all a bit of a blur now.

• Like 2