Currency in Greenland

Posted (edited)

I am cruising to Nanortalik and Qaqortoq in Greenland later this year. Up until this point, my cruises have all either been in the Caribbean or Alaska so having USD was never an issue. Would it be recommended to exchange some money for Danish Krone before we go? I'm not sure how readily accepted USD would be there as these are remote villages where tourism is not the primary focus. I'm also not sure how much money we'd really be spending since we've prebooked ship excursions, but I want to be prepared. I usually like to purchase at least one souvenir (usually a piece of jewelry) that reminds me of the area. Thanks!

Edited by Pyxie

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Pyxie said:

I usually like to purchase at least one souvenir (usually a piece of jewelry) that reminds me of the area. Thanks!

Not so much "out of respect", but more for being essential.  Read this very recent thread, especially the early posts (3/4/5)  referencing buying souvenirs from local ladies who set up tables to sell the crafts they made over winter.  Cash would be the most practical way of paying as they are most unlikely to be within any card system for payment.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995710-nanortalik-and-qaqortoq/#comment-67060958

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Not so much "out of respect", but more for being essential.  Read this very recent thread, especially the early posts (3/4/5)  referencing buying souvenirs from local ladies who set up tables to sell the crafts they made over winter.  Cash would be the most practical way of paying as they are most unlikely to be within any card system for payment.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995710-nanortalik-and-qaqortoq/#comment-67060958

Thank you. It is actually exactly because of these tables that I asked this question as I had heard about them too in my research. I know I could probably use a credit card in a shop.

Edited by Pyxie

1 hour ago, Pyxie said:

Thank you. It is actually exactly because of these tables that I asked this question as I had heard about them too in my research. I know I could probably use a credit card in a shop.

Beadwork is a local craft and the ladies make quality items.  These were the nicest souvenirs we saw, apart from the carved figures in Nuuk, but they were $$$ priced.☹️

You should browse/buy  at any tables you see before sightseeing, as they will only have a certain number of items with them, and they may sell out if you leave buying until later in the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The community gift shop in Nanotollik actually doesn't want cash.  No place to use it.  They buy stuff for the community online, so a credit works best for them.  Last time we were there a calendar cost $35 (imported).  Handmade antler carvings were about $10-15.  Elbow-length ladies reindeer fur gloves were $17.

• Like 1

I've admittedly never been to Greenland, but there are plenty of apps/devices that will take a credit card to the seller's phone (Square, etc.)  I've had street vendors in Europe use it.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I've admittedly never been to Greenland, but there are plenty of apps/devices that will take a credit card to the seller's phone (Square, etc.)  I've had street vendors in Europe use it.  

That assumes internet is available.  I honestly have no idea how strong the signals are in Greenland locales

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2024 at 12:52 AM, ladybird77 said:

Everything I read says the souvenirs are expensive but no real price ranges. 

Post #6 above gave a small number of price indications.

The most reasonably priced were the beadwork and home carvings sold by" the ladies with the tables"and you would ideally want cash for these.

Other  not as authentic souvenirs  can be bought in one of the few stores which sell them, including the Tourist Info shop next to the tender dock in Q and I would think, but do not actually know, that these could be paid for with a card.  Others might know.

The most expensive ones we liked, but were unwilling to pay the high prices for, were the high end tupilak  carvings.we saw in a store in Nuuk.  They were very different from the quite naive carvings sold by"the ladies with tables". but we liked our little naive carving anyway and the beadwork is beautifully worked. We thought our purchases were more representative of the country than t-shirts, baseball caps etc.

If you are considring buying anything made from animal skin or fur, if you have not already done so.you should probably read this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995710-nanortalik-and-qaqortoq/#comment-67037173

Edited by edinburgher

On 6/23/2024 at 7:52 PM, ladybird77 said:

Everything I read says the souvenirs are expensive but no real price ranges. 

In Qaqortoq, the local artisan from which I purchased beadwork jewelry had each item priced at $20 US.  I also bought a pair of delicately carved bone earrings for $20.  She had a table set up near the tender dock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Giving a current update from a passenger onboard Volendam which made it into port yesterday. (Aug2) As it was a second visit one or two changes were noticed between then and now and I thought to share in case of interest to others but especially to those hoping to buy souvenirs.

(quoting from message)

There were fewer "ladies selling crafts from tables" this time, although more opportunities to buy "Made in China"

The free museum is now $10.  No dancers or costumed locals this time either  The   fish market was still open though and the Man and Rock art trail is still challenging.   

There were some flies but not enough to make me get out the hat and bug net, but I didn’t go to the lake, either.  Most of the folks coming back from there did have their nets on, so I suspect they got worse around the lake path. The pretty wild flowers were spectacular again and a lovely backdrop to the coloured homes. 

End quote.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1