Photographers on QM2

LJS24

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the photographers on board the QM2 (i.e rough costs for photos and if there are particular places they tend to be found).  I've had a look on Cunard's website and can't see anything, but appreciate I could be looking in the wrong place.  Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance 🙂

We have some beautiful photos hanging in our hallway.I think you can arrange to have photos taken anywhere on board, but mainly on the Gala Nights,either before or after dinner.The best places are by the main staircase.The photographers are excellent, and do take a lot of photos.They are very patient and professional.We did feel as if we were being photographed for the front of Vogue.You can view all the photos on a screen ( just by Sir Samuel’s) and you have until the end of the voyage to purchase.We purchased a large one , already in a white frame( it saved having to find a suitable one when we arrived home).We paid about 100$ for this and also four smaller ones without frames.MOH would have bought more, but we would have probably run out of wall!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In June 2022 we were quoted $395 for everything they took around the ship in seven days and paid $595 for fourteen days. On Gala Nights they had setups in three or four venues. Grand Lobby upper and lower staircase and flower arrangement, and deck two main corridor near photo gallery. The worst backdrop we were offered was a Rennie MacIntosh pattern. No really cringeworthy ones with life belts or sea/ship drawings. On night four of each week, that in the distant past would have been a non themed gala but by the time we sailed was smart attire, they had photographers out in the upper lobby. We got everything they took on a USB key at end of trip. Next time we'll find out how to get photos every night.

And we've upgraded our own camera gear to pro standard.

Edit. They also offer studio stuff at higher prices. We weren't impressed by the test results, possibly the black backdrop that doesn't suit my wife's complexion.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

We have been very satisfied with our photos and the locations the pictures have been taken at.

Our favorite location on our last  two  sailings was at the Grand Lobby Staircase.

We were  blessed to have a great photographer that posed us. We have the photos hung in our  hallways, living room and bedroom and alway look at it when I pass.

We personally really don't have photos taken on each sailing. But had a good feeling and was glad we had them done.

Some sailings have photos taken on  the ground off the ship after landing and by the gangway before departing for shopping or touring.  We really don't partake in these photos

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, sounds like there are plenty of options available.  I will be a solo cruiser so am hoping to get some nice photos, especially from the gala nights.

@LJS24

Just realised it might be useful to detail that the photography department is found at Images Photo Gallery on deck 2 opposite the entrance to The Golden Lion near lifts/stairs C.

They will be able to give details of what packages they are offering on your sailing and where/when they will be setting up for photos. They also have their studio in their office at that location.

These opening times come from programmes for a Transatlantic in December:

Day 1 - Embarkation 6pm to 8pm

Day 2 & 6 - Before Gala Nights 9am to 2pm 

Day 3, 4, 5 & 7 - 9am to 9pm

Day 8 - Disembarkation 7am to 9am

• Like 1

Cunard's photographers vary in imagination. Some just want to put people in the "prom pose," and only know how to pose couples. One woman on QM2 had me pose in ways that made me feel like I had an invisible partner. In all the pictures, I was off-center, like someone was missing. The good news is that if you don't like one photographer's approach, go to another spot and try with a different person. 

I have found that some photogs are happy to work with you. One of my favorite pictures is from New Year's Eve on QM2. They were doing photos on the curved staircase. DH couldn't stand well and I had a raging cold, but I wanted a picture of us in our best formal wear. I posed us sitting on the stairs and I still have that one framed in the living room. We look elegant and a bit world-weary, like seasoned travelers.

I may be unusual in this, but I don't feel comfortable having a formal picture done all alone. I feel like what am I doing here, what's the point of this picture?  (It's probably because I'm an avid photographer and I like a picture to have a story behind it.) One thing I like to do as a solo is have a prop. I go to the bar and get a glass of fizz and ask the bartender to put some grenadine in it for color. Then I can hold the glass like I'm at a cocktail party or making a toast. 

Another photo op that hasn't been mentioned is excursions. Sometimes a photographer goes along and takes pictures on an excursion. In Norway, a ship's photographer came on a northern lights chase. He took some stock shots and also offered to take pictures of passengers. I bought one because it shows me with the lights in the background. It isn't a great picture of me, as I look stiff, standing still for a 4-second exposure. But it's a great "I was here!" shot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of the photographers seem obsessed with asking gents to pose with one or both hands in pockets. I unconsciously went along with it for the first night and part of second, then pointed out to them that I considered it rude and they best come up with another pose if they are not happy with those we have chosen.

We're not at all uncomfortable with formal portraits, the main aim is to try and make sure our facial expressions come out well. A few years ago I carried out an exercise of digitising all our negatives and prints and archiving by date, and the most disappointing outcome was the shortage of photos of us from the pre digital age.

We got about 115 on the USB key and hope to do better next time. They were taken on the four Gala Nights and on three other nights when we came across photographers. On two of the three I was wearing my ivory tux since when we originally booked those nights would have been non themed gala nights.

I don't quite get the current outcry over the Princess of Wales editing a photo. I'm more than happy to cut a face out of one photo and paste it in another if one of us doesn't have the best expression in the originals.

• Like 2

Good for you D&N. The standard Cunard pose -  couple standing [often on the main atrium steps], lady with hand on man's chest/man upright with hand in pocket is awful.

Unimaginative and can come across as quite cringeworthy.

I'd try and get a fellow passenger or friend to take some photos and at the very least, sit on the stairs for informality and leave the 'Classic Cunard' pose to die a death.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'd try and get a fellow passenger or friend to take some photos and at the very least, sit on the stairs for informality and leave the 'Classic Cunard' pose to die a death.

We took all our own with a selfie tripod and remote control. Now we have the full frame camera the tripod needs to be slightly sturdier but I still use a remote fob.

We were actually quite happy with most of the pro pics. Sixteen of them joined twenty-three of our own on a mural I created. Most of them are cropped in some manner to fit the jigsaw, and one face swapped as one caught my eyes screwed up and in another Nora had a shocked expression. So Nora's nice smile joined me with eyes open.

Our preference is for the ones on the Grand Lobby balcony, as the profile photo, and those taken with a plain background. There is a pro pic of Nora sitting on the stairs as you suggest that looks good.

One benefit of pro pics is that they are usually lit properly. That can be difficult to achieve with your own equipment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, D&N said:

@LJS24

Just realised it might be useful to detail that the photography department is found at Images Photo Gallery on deck 2 opposite the entrance to The Golden Lion near lifts/stairs C.

They will be able to give details of what packages they are offering on your sailing and where/when they will be setting up for photos. They also have their studio in their office at that location.

These opening times come from programmes for a Transatlantic in December:

Day 1 - Embarkation 6pm to 8pm

Day 2 & 6 - Before Gala Nights 9am to 2pm 

Day 3, 4, 5 & 7 - 9am to 9pm

Day 8 - Disembarkation 7am to 9am

That's really useful, I'll definitely pop in and see them to find out what sort of packages they offers.  It's also good to know where they are located, it will be my first trip on board so it's useful to know where to find things

• Like 1

On past sailings we work with the photographer while listening what they suggest and then mention what our thoughts are and work out the pose.

We know that they may sometimes have a line at certain times, but we go when a line is at it's lowest. And we both can work out a pose worth purchasing and saving.

We do prefer the Grand Lobby Staircase as a background to those rolled up backgrounds some parts of the ship have setup on Gala Nights. Interesting but still artificial.

And on the last sailing, we took a friend on the Mary 2 for the first time. We all past a photo shoot location and all took a shot to see what a photo would good like.

Being a solo, she was a good sport and did a solo shots and was pleasantly happy with the results on purchase.

We enjoy working with the Photographers on board.  

12 hours ago, LJS24 said:

That's really useful, I'll definitely pop in and see them to find out what sort of packages they offers.  It's also good to know where they are located, it will be my first trip on board so it's useful to know where to find things

Whilst you're there, and I'm not sure if photos are still up on display these days but if they are, have a look at the poses and see which ones you like and which ones you definitely don't like.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Whilst you're there, and I'm not sure if photos are still up on display these days but if they are, have a look at the poses and see which ones you like and which ones you definitely don't like.

I don't think they print them now. You have to look at the montors.

• Thanks 2

On 3/13/2024 at 3:37 AM, Victoria2 said:

They don't print any more. But there usually are some sample photos you can look at to get an idea of what the poses are like. 

• Like 2

You can only view photos by typing your cabin number and some other detail on one of the  screens at Images Photo Gallery.

There are lots of examples of cruise photos online that can give some idea of what poses might suit you. Simply try them out in front of a full length mirror or take selfies with phone on a stand or propped up so you get a full height photo. On Android putting your palm up towards the camera should activate a shot with a three second delay. I assume iOS will have a similar facility.

• Thanks 1