Booking future cruises - what happens in the case of an sudden worldwide "event"?

In 5 decades of sailing with RCCL, I have found they are VERY attentive to world events anywhere along their ships' routes.  I've personally had an experience where RCCL had to charter planes to help stranded passengers in Barcelona during a fishermen strike, blockading the port until 9pm.  An entire ship of passengers missed their flights that day.  Hotel overnight and flight home covered. LOTS of chaos, but it all worked out.

We docked in Grenada shortly after the military action there, and other than having armed military guards everywhere, it was fine.

So, don't leave RCCL out of the safety equation.

Having said all this, your routes are through an area with a HUGE US presence and influence. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think they covered it all:

12. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY:
a. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN, CARRIER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INJURY, DEATH, ILLNESS, DAMAGE, DELAY OR OTHER LOSS TO PERSON OR PROPERTY, OR ANY OTHER CLAIM BY ANY PASSENGER CAUSED BY ACT OF GOD, WAR, TERRORISM, CIVIL COMMOTION, LABOR TROUBLE, GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE, PERILS OF THE SEA, FIRE, ORDERS BY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES RESTRICTING TRAVEL DUE TO DECLARED PANDEMICS, PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCIES OR OUTBREAKS OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASE, COVID-19, INFLUENZA, COLDS AND NOROVIRUS, QUARANTINES, NATIONAL OR REGIONAL EMERGENCIES, THEFTS OR ANY OTHER CAUSE BEYOND CARRIER'S REASONABLE CONTROL, OR ANY ACT NOT SHOWN TO BE CAUSED BY CARRIER'S NEGLIGENCE. 

TLDR: We are keeping your money.

Edited by soremekun

In the 2020 World event we had about 10 cruises cancelled. We got back everything we paid but it was a bit confusing to figure out whichcruise and excursions the dribbles of money were applied.

Last year we were booked on a Holy Land cruise and a week before we sailed, the unrest started.  Royal had only 7 days to rearrange our cruise and all the other cruises they had on other ships, which was a difficult thing because they weren’t the only cruise line in that area.  They did a fabulous job and we had a wonderful, safe cruise.

I won’t let fear of something that may or may not happen affect my life, or I would never walk out the door, and things can happen while I’m safe and sound in my home too.

• Like 2

For my two transpacific b2b’s planned for ‘24 and ‘25 between Seattle and Asia I made sure I selected travel insurance coverage that includes foreign & domestic terrorism and also includes coverage for non-medical evacuation.  This helps me feel better prepared - especially the non-medical evacuation coverage - for any unexpected events. 
Making sure you are fully prepared (however that looks for you such as travel insurance or being self-insured or whatever) might help you feel better about traveling. 

1 hour ago, FOXTROT said:

Why worry about things you can't change? If I hide underneath my bed, one day i will still die. Enjoy life 

If you hide under the bed, you have to worry about the bed collapsing on you.  Or the dust bunnies choking you.

• Haha 1