South America overland tours

dbjhughes

I am booked on Queen Vic‘s South America trip next year. Does anyone who took part in previous Cunard South America circumnavigations remember whether Cunard offers overland tours to Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls, Galápagos Islands and/or Antarctica? Fred Olsen will be offering all of these in their 2026 South American trip. Many thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi I've done the South American trip twice  already and booked on again for next year. In the past they have offered Iguassu Falls, the Galapagos, Muchu Picchu but I think you will find Antarctica is a little ambitious. 

The Galapagos was the closest that we got to covid on that trip and I believe some passengers returned to the ship with the symptoms and it was rumoured they were turned away but I can't confirm that.

The Machu Picchu trip experienced problems as well returning to the ship as there was a hold up with the transit and they had to catch the ship up.

Its one of the most exciting Itins that Cunard offer and am looking forward to doing it again in 2025.

As with the WC I am currently on, some excursions were offered online only a short time before we departed and I suspect they will add to what is currently showing closer to the time. By the time the ship had put on its South Africa overnight Safaris this year I had already booked a private one....which was particularly advantageous considering the price.

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1

I took the over land tour to Machu Picchu ( Cunard Tour 2020 South American cruise)

I have to admit it was quite expensive, however, it was certainly worth it.   Private charter aircraft to Cusco, First class hotel accommodation Belmond hotel Monasterio ( full board) , Private charter train journey ( Belmond) up to Machu Picchu , professional English speaking guide who accompanied our group for the entire three days.

A wonderful experience, I'd certainly recommend it .  

• Like 1

Thank-you very much to the last two responders - much appreciated. Do you remember which ports of call had to be effectively foregone in order to go to Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and Galapagos? I have never been to any of the South American ports, so although I am very keen to go to the above must-see places, I’ll have to weigh up whether seeing them would trump having to skip the ports themselves.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, dbjhughes said:

Thank-you very much to the last two responders - much appreciated. Do you remember which ports of call had to be effectively foregone in order to go to Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and Galapagos? I have never been to any of the South American ports, so although I am very keen to go to the above must-see places, I’ll have to weigh up whether seeing them would trump having to skip the ports themselves.

Machu Picchu over land tour :

We departed the morning the ship arrived to 'Arica / Chile'  Transported to a private airfield 

Returned on day four to 'Callo /Peru' ( the ship had spent an over night in Callo  we arrived on the second day before the ship departed late afternoon) 

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, alibabacruisers said:

It is good to hear, through this thread, that there are a few more people on this cruise next year!  The roll call has been pretty quiet and I was beginning to wonder.

Wonder what?

21 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I am too booked on this but would not be interested in tours that took me away from the ship over night. I shall just stick to the Cunard excursions 

When one is on a World Cruise of approx 100 + days ( or in my my case the South America sojourn 78 days) a short break from the confines of the ship, the food and the onboard daily activities  is sometimes needed, however, returning back to the ship we often call home, we realise just how blessed we are.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

When one is on a World Cruise of approx 100 + days ( or in my my case the South America sojourn 78 days) a short break from the confines of the ship, the food and the onboard daily activities  is sometimes needed, however, returning back to the ship we often call home, we realise just how blessed we are.  

I well remember your time on that 78 night cruise @Bell Boy .

Not one to be missed if one is a big fan of Queen Victoria. 😉

I also recall we both did most of the itinerary on  Queen Mary 2's circumnavigation in 2009....

HawaiiGovernorsHouseReceptionwithPaulC.jpg.6f99ffb42b89e2434a60cc182928bbb4.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1