Too many sea days?

I am considering a Japan cruise. Looking at the Cunard offering there appears to be fewer ports than others and too many sea days. Is their ship just slower to get to the next place to visit? Have you tried one of these cruises and what was it like please?

Never been to Japan but have done Cunard cruises and transatlantic crossings.
Remember that Cunard’s long time slogan is “Getting there is half the fun!”  Cunard provides a very busy daily schedule and not just seminars trying to sell you something like on other lines. Being onboard is actually a very nice experience. 

Agree with the above, but everyone’s different. We choose transatlantic both to avoid flying both ways and for the ultimate relaxation and fun of sea days. My sister, on the other hand, would never do a TA because she requires ports most days. Just depends on your personal preferences, but yes, there ARE tons of fun things to do on Cunard sea days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Is there really such a thing as "too many sea days"??? I cannot even fathom the idea... Ports are just ports, days at sea are magic. 

Many years ago when we were members of the P&O Line's P.O.S.H. Club there was a letter published by a regular passenger. She said: "Ports are an unnecessary interruption to my sea-going experience."  Well said, I thought.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I am considering a Japan cruise. Looking at the Cunard offering there appears to be fewer ports than others and too many sea days. Is their ship just slower to get to the next place to visit? Have you tried one of these cruises and what was it like please?

If you can wait a few weeks I'll be able to give you a first-hand report. I'll be on board QE for 18 nights circumnavigating Japan and more. We will have four sea days in the first nine days, two of which are consecutive (one involves 'scenic cruising' which usually involves cruising by geographical features) and three non-consecutive sea days in the second nine night segment. Lots of port time it seems to me.

If you want to be on a Cunard vessel to see Japan you only have this year and next; they have removed Japan from their regular programming as per the rest of Australasia.

Anyway, I'm happy to let you know what the experience is like if you're interested.

Thank you very much LittleFish1976, I look forward to seeing your report.

Oh no! It is in a few years time we will be able to go (after husband retires, as is too long away before then). So no Japan and no Australia? Maybe they will reconsider nearer the time?

• Thanks 1

For me the more sea days the better. I would never go on a cruise when there is a port each day with maybe one sea day. No way can that be described as a cruise.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hoveto said:

For me the more sea days the better. I would never go on a cruise when there is a port each day with maybe one sea day. No way can that be described as a cruise.

Agreed.

We have booked Southampton to Sydney for Jan 2026 (QM2) and in the 51-night trip there are 35-sea days!

We have done numerous transatlantic crossings and are about to do our 2nd Transpacific later this year (not with Cunard). For us now at our age, (mid 60's) its more about the journey and the ship and an opportunity to totally relax at sea. 

However, I understand that does not suit everyone, so each to their own etc. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 11:09 AM, Hoveto said:

A cruise is a voyage taken for pleasure.  If you sleep on the water then life is good. Have done 10+ sea days in a row which was wonderful and a port every day which was equally wonderful. My preference is that the final day is a sea day as I get stressed about packing. My next cruise is on our canal boat for a few nights no sea days. FYI you don't have to get off the ship.

• Like 1

I love sea days my DH hates them with venom and some lol 😆 so we have to have a compromise, our next cruise has only one sea day, haven't told him yet the one after has 4 🙈🙈 but he'll have to get over it🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ after working flat out he's finding this retirement thing hard. I really can see why women get rid of men of a certain age lol 😆 😂 pass the frying pan 😜🙄🤣🤪

• Haha 2

I like all weather.... we had a proper Mistral in the Western Med on QE so it was still sunny but really blowy and throwing spray. Positively delightful.  And why I insist on that proper promenade deck to savour it.  I was delighted I was not alone, either. Fortunately we did not have a nervous nanny Captain to restrict access to the decks, either.  Like most Mistrals it only occupied an afternoon but it remains a highight to be remembered. I insist on a ship that has that immediate access to the real sea, spray and salt that makes an ocean holiday unique.  QE and QV are better in this regard than QM2 as their promenade deck is quite low. QA.... no way.

• Like 1