Madeira taxi

Today we took a taxi from Iona to Reid’s Palace. The driver charged us €20 which we thought was a bit steep. I asked the concierge if that was right and he was appalled. He called a taxi for us after tea and it was €6.80 back to the ship. Our fault for not checking but I somehow didn’t expect to be overcharged in Funchal. Don’t know why. So, buyer beware, if you get a taxi here, ask in advance or make sure it’s on the meter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Today we took a taxi from Iona to Reid’s Palace. The driver charged us €20 which we thought was a bit steep. I asked the concierge if that was right and he was appalled. He called a taxi for us after tea and it was €6.80 back to the ship. Our fault for not checking but I somehow didn’t expect to be overcharged in Funchal. Don’t know why. So, buyer beware, if you get a taxi here, ask in advance or make sure it’s on the meter. 

We've got a private tour booked in Funchal - it's 75 euros, so your taxi sounds a bit steep!

• Like 1

We stayed for a week and from the taxis across from the Ritz  the 

drivers were asking 19-25 euros up to the top of the cable car .

We tend to ask a few drivers to get a fair idea .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The bus system is very good in Madeira.  Quite frequent too very cheap and reliable.  The routes mentioned here are very regular ones.  Think you can buy tickets on the bus (or could), or can buy a card and load cash on it for even cheaper travel and the card is re useable.  Can check that and location of bus stops, either with a net search or could ask on trip advisor forums.  There are a couple of buses which go up to the top if the cable car, which start at the bottom of the baranca.  I think they were the 21 and 22, but a few years since we used them now.  About 2019, I think.

The buses go along the road by the seafront, not up by the shuttle bus drop and a lot go West up the steep hill to by Reid's and on to different places.   

Edited by tring

15 hours ago, sandancer said:

Really sorry to see that you were overcharged.

We've never had a problem with taxis in Maderia... and time in port if often limited so they are, for us, the best option... unless where we want to go is a pleasant walk.

Prices are fixed by the Regional Government and the Regional Taxi Drivers’ Association with set prices for common routes. There should be a list on the back of one of the front seats.

Like in the UK it's usually you to approach the first taxi in the queue but often by agreement someone else from the line might be better placed to take the fare.

Wheelchairs should be carried at no extra charge.

However... is the afternoon tea still glorious... a great experience and a treasured memory?

Yes, the tea was lovely. Definitely one for the memory box. 
The taxi was the only one waiting outside of the ship. We’ve been to Funchal several times and have never had any reason to complain so maybe a little complacent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Really sorry to see that you were overcharged.

We've never had a problem with taxis in Maderia... and time in port if often limited so they are, for us, the best option... unless where we want to go is a pleasant walk.

Prices are fixed by the Regional Government and the Regional Taxi Drivers’ Association with set prices for common routes. There should be a list on the back of one of the front seats.

Like in the UK it's usually you to approach the first taxi in the queue but often by agreement someone else from the line might be better placed to take the fare.

Wheelchairs should be carried at no extra charge.

However... is the afternoon tea still glorious... a great experience and a treasured memory?

Thank you for that information as I will be going through Madeira in the next few months.

Are the taxis metered or show a registration number somewhere? Otherwise I assume it just look at the list or maybe there's something in the port building as there is in other places?