How are the Swans doing 2024?

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It was a good game, although 4th quarter I was flipping between the game and the soccer, women's semifinal.

Flipping between Swans, NRL, Supercars, Grand Prix for me.

• Like 1

Wow, quite a win! Are the Swans that good or is Gold Coast having a bad season??😉

Nice that they have started so well, I thought losing Buddy would hurt more. He was starting to decline a bit but I put that up to injuries.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think the Swans experience showed up the young Suns side, however it seems like some sides can be very competitive but once the game starts to slide they lose motivation.

Yeah, it would be tough to maintain focus/interest once they fall too far behind. Happens a lot in US football games, if one side is getting beat really badly. Sometimes, the losing team uses it as an opportunity to get experience for younger players. Sometimes the team leading does this too--and they can let their best guys sit and prevent any injuries.

• Like 2

On Sunday the Sydney Swans play Hawthorn Hawks at the MCG.

Also at the game Buddy will make an appearance.

Buddy Franklin to return to MCG as Hawthorn drop huge news about retired AFL champion

Hawks fans will get the chance to farewell the legendary forward in Melbourne.

Lance Franklin Australian rules footballer

Buddy Franklin will be back at the MCG on Sunday during Hawthorn's clash with the Swans, giving Hawks fans the chance to farewell the AFL champion in Victoria. Franklin retired from the AFL last year and was given an emotional send-off at the SCG during a Sydney Swans game late in the season.

But fans in Victoria never got a chance to show their appreciation. Franklin played 172 games for the Swans, but he also made 182 appearances for Hawthorn and is considered a legend at both clubs.

The Hawks announced on Tuesday that Franklin will make a special appearance at the MCG on Sunday at half-time of the game between his former clubs. Channel 7 reporter Mitch Cleary revealed that Franklin is expected to attend the President’s function before the game and will speak to fans at some stage throughout the match.

Buddy Franklin at the SCG with his family.

Buddy Franklin was given an emotional farewell at the SCG in front of Sydney Swans fans. Image: Getty

It marks somewhat of a coup for the Hawks, with Franklin preferring to stay away from the limelight since his retirement. He didn't even attend his own retirement press conference with the Swans, and opted against taking part in the motorcade for retired players at the grand final in September.

Cleary revealed that Hawthorn CEO Ashley Klein managed to get the Franklin appearance over the line and 'twisted his arm'. The Hawks wrote in a message to fans: "Witness a champion's return and cheer him on one last time." Fans were delighted to hear about Franklin's upcoming appearance at the MCG, where he kicked 342 of his 1066 career goals.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 2:33 AM, MicCanberra said:

Full time, Sydney Swans 18.10 (118) to the Hawthorn Hawks 5.12 (42)

Yikes!! I guess the Hawks may not be having their best season 😉

Got really busy all of a sudden and completely forgot about the Swans. They are doing much better than I expected.

• Like 1