Bid to upgrade on the Joy

I have a friend (that does not use the computer) and is traveling on the Joy on May 12.  She has a balcony room and wants to bid to upgrade.  I am not sure what she wants to upgrade to.  Has anyone had any experience in upgrading from a balcony and the approximate cost?  Thanks for your help.

40 minutes ago, Mrs Peel said:

I have a friend (that does not use the computer) and is traveling on the Joy on May 12.  She has a balcony room and wants to bid to upgrade.  I am not sure what she wants to upgrade to.  Has anyone had any experience in upgrading from a balcony and the approximate cost?  Thanks for your help.

From a balcony, you can bid on a Club Balcony (mini-suite), a regular suite (no real perks) or a Haven room. 

Bids on the Club Balcony would be a hindered or two per person. Suite, several hundred per person. Haven, many hundred to $1k+ per person. 

You have to be invited to bid. If your friends booked to a big box store travel agent, they would not be eligible to bid. 

6 hours ago, Mrs Peel said:

I have a friend (that does not use the computer) and is traveling on the Joy on May 12.  She has a balcony room and wants to bid to upgrade.

A bit confusing. How did she book the cruise in the first place?

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

From a balcony, you can bid on a Club Balcony (mini-suite), a regular suite (no real perks) or a Haven room. 

Bids on the Club Balcony would be a hindered or two per person. Suite, several hundred per person. Haven, many hundred to $1k+ per person. 

You have to be invited to bid. If your friends booked to a big box store travel agent, they would not be eligible to bid. 

You don't necessarily have to be invited to bid.  Many times all you have to do is go to the upgrade link and you can bid without ever being invited.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, agrimm01 said:

You don't necessarily have to be invited to bid.  Many times all you have to do is go to the upgrade link and you can bid without ever being invited.

I think this is a bit of semantics.  I agree many are "invited" by receiving and an email or some other notification to bid....However, IF the upgrade link works, then by default "you have been invited".   

The point is that not all customers are allowed into the bidding process.  Many "Big Box" travel sites do not get "invited" and therefore, you will be able to bid.

In fact, you can easily check if you are eligible (assuming bidding has started for your booking) by going to:

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/NCL/  

That said, I'm not sure what the OP (and friend) are expecting to do if they do not use the computer.  The bidding process is done electronically.  You need to use your computer or phone app to access the bidding platform.  I've never heard of anyone calling in their bid since the bidding is run by a third party (Plusgrade).

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 1

OK, let us play this out.  Must everyone gets an upgrade "Bid" opportunity.  I choose my words carefully.  I have to assume this is the OP's question.  Here is a, not the, but a strategy.

If you want to help your friend, go online with their permission and open their NCL Account showing this cruise.  You should see a link to "Bid" upgrades. That is your starting point:

• What to Upgrade too:  This is the first question.  Suite, Club Suite and or Haven.  Make a decision but understand, if you bid on all three, the first one take is the one you get.  You won't be obligated to take all three.
  • Do your Due Diligence:  How much did you pay, vs how much is the upgrade you want.  For sake of this example here is some math.  I paid $1000 per person for my stateroom.  The upgrade I want is a Haven suite which if I purchased today would be $3000 per person.  Next step is look at the availability of the category you are bidding for.  If lots of staterooms are available, you bid lower.  If a just a few are available, you bid higher.  Does not mean you will get it but is a good strategy.
  • Be Happy with your Original Booked Stateroom:  Do folks get bids, yes.  Does it happen often, no.  Go into this with the idea that you will NOT get an upgrade.  
  • Just Book the Category You want: With high inventory, sometimes you can just book the higher category at a great price and eliminate the waiting.  Consider this.  

This is a lot of work if you really want the upgrade so for a friend to do this for me or anyone else, is quite the ask.  No computer, no phone, I would personally pass.  Just be happen with what you got.  Just my two cents yet I wanted to answer the question posed. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.