What beach bag do you use?

I've seen tons of beach bags for the beach (ports) or going to the pool and wondering which ones you use.  I was thinking of getting the drawsting one with the lock?  Not sure how people are at Coco or Atlantis.  

Give me some examples of your beach bag.

Posted (edited)

I take attractive ones usually available at T.J.Max.  I ordered a bunch of these for the luggage tags and I use them to attach all kinds of things, even works with the beach bag to attach the zipper to my lounger.  Not fool proof but way too undesirable to the casual thief.  I am never far from it.

luggage tag ties.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

I've seen tons of beach bags for the beach (ports) or going to the pool and wondering which ones you use.  I was thinking of getting the drawsting one with the lock?  Not sure how people are at Coco or Atlantis.  

Give me some examples of your beach bag.

First, what do you expect to carry to the beach?  When my kids were small, I used to carry multiple towels, lots of sunscreen, and beach toys. 

- Back then I liked to carry a large mesh bag; mesh is lighter weight, and it lets the kids' sand fall out.  I definitely wanted everything in ONE bag. 

- Now I carry less -- just my own stuff.  I've been using the same bag forever, and it's not what most people like:  it's a bath bag that my MIL gave me; originally it held Bath & Body Works products.  It's about the size of a 6-pack of sodas and is just right to carry my Kindle, sunscreen, sunglass-readers, and a few more things.  I roll my towel up small, and it fits on top /is sandwiched in by the handles.  

Second, do you need to bring things that need protection? 

- You probably want to carry your phone when you disembark at an island, but do you really need it at Coco Cay?  Do you need it around the ship? 

- I bring my Kindle to Coco Cay, and I'm not all that worried about leaving it on my chair when I get into the water -- I cover it up, but I don't think my fellow cruisers really want to steal someone else's Kindle, especially when that person is nearby.  When I go to lunch on Coco Cay, I leave my towel /sunscreen on the beach chair but bring my small beach bag with my Kindle.  That's just my comfort level. 

- At a beach on an island, I would be more careful.  My husband has swim trunks with a zippered pocket, and he carries our ship IDs, money and credit cards on his person.  

- In addition to your beach bag, consider getting an around-the-neck phone holder that you can take into the water.  Such a thing would be over-kill on the ship.  On the ship, I'm okay leaving my phone in my bag /covered up.  But I'm not okay with that on the islands.  

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Not fool proof but way too undesirable to the casual thief.  I am never far from it.

Those rings are a good idea.  

You don't have to (and, truthfully, cannot) make your bag completely theft-proof -- you just have to make it less desirable than the other bags on the beach.  Make your bag harder to access, and the thief will pass you by.  

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I take attractive ones usually available at T.J.Max.  I ordered a bunch of these for the luggage tags and I use them to attach all kinds of things, even works with the beach bag to attach the zipper to my lounger.  Not fool proof but way too undesirable to the casual thief.  I am never far from it.

luggage tag ties.jpg

Great point. If you're not attaching it to something like a lounge chair then all someone has to do is grab the bag.

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

luggage tag ties.jpg

I love this idea!

I have theme on my luggage tags. Someone taking multiple ones off would take time and draw attention from other fellow passengers on a beach. Also gives you time to get out of ocean to stop them.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought this one and am loving it.  I live at the beach so I know a thing or two about beach bags.  🙂  I bought this one specifically for cruising because it will work great at the pool or on beach excursions.  It's waterproof and comes in its own small carrying case which doubles as a stash for all your little things.  I got it on Amazon from the Wild ride Travel Gear Store.  https://www.amazon.com/stores/WildRideTravelGear/page/37C9E896-A023-4BB3-BBCF-C04105ED0622?ref_=ast_bln

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever ships bag they leave in the room. No need to carry an extra bag on the plane. Besides what do you really need for the beach or pool. Towels H2O maybe a book and phone. We do bring a combination luggage lock and lock our bag(s) when in the water.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, radiationman said:

Whatever ships bag they leave in the room. No need to carry an extra bag on the plane. Besides what do you really need for the beach or pool. Towels H2O maybe a book and phone. We do bring a combination luggage lock and lock our bag(s) when in the water.

Have never had a ship beach bag left in the room.  Our beach bag goes in our checked luggage since it folds up.  Besides the items you mentioned we also bring for a beach -sunscreen, snorkels, my glasses, and I keep our ship card, credit cards and cash in a water wallet.  For the pool we bring our tablets, my knitting, books, etc since we tend to camp out all day on sea days.

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 2:48 PM, radiationman said:

This is what I generally use, too. Nice canvas bags that are in our cabins.

That said, not everyone receives these bags in their cabin. My alternative is a lightweight backpack that I picked up at Target several years ago. It can hold a couple of towels, sunscreen, couple of bottles of water, and things like a comb, magazine, etc. It has a zip pocket for anything that I want zipped. I'll add that I'm at a point in life where I don't care if my beach bag is particularly cute, I'm happy with utilitarian. 

Editing to add: DH never goes in the water so I don't worry about locking my bag because it's never left alone. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I'll add that I'm at a point in life where I don't care if my beach bag is particularly cute, I'm happy with utilitarian. 

Just curious...what point in life is reached where you don't care about whether your accessories are "cute" or not?  🤔

42 minutes ago, CookingChick2020 said:

Just curious...what point in life is reached where you don't care about whether your accessories are "cute" or not?  🤔

When you have to pay for your accessories yourself or you want to be comfortable and have accessories that actually are practical.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keksie said:

When you have to pay for your accessories yourself or you want to be comfortable and have accessories that actually are practical.

I've always paid for my own accessories and find that practical and cute are not mutually exclusive...but to each his own.  🤷‍♂️  

Just use the bags provided in room. haven't cruised in a year hopefully the still supply bags. If not would likely use the rooms laundry bag. Towels sunscreen (we do go in the water) water little cash ids and 1credit card. As I noted before we close and lock bag to chair with a luggage lock. We are minimalists and pack as little as possible. Trips of a week or less will get no more than carry on. Longer trips carry on and one checked bag.

As an aside we also do not pack any toiletries. We use whatever soap shampoo lotion is available. We buy sunscreen at destination and leave what we don't finish. Lighter bag NEVER have we went through TSA with liquids, just not worth the effort.

Ultimately we are not fashionista's and we pack and dress for convienince.

20240730_140041.jpg

20240730_140057.jpg

20240730_140141.jpg

23 hours ago, CookingChick2020 said:

LOL - Well, when you've cleared out hundreds and hundreds of garments, bags, shoes, sandals over the past couple of years and you don't want to fill up your closet again.

For my personal style, I'm focusing on things that are a bit more understated. We all have to be true to our own style, right? Plus, I want to put my wardrobe dollars and space into things that are used more frequently and in my everyday life.

That's not to say that I don't love seeing the cute bags that other people carry. Maybe I'll covet them for a few minutes when I see them on a tender 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

LOL - Well, when you've cleared out hundreds and hundreds of garments, bags, shoes, sandals over the past couple of years and you don't want to fill up your closet again.

For my personal style, I'm focusing on things that are a bit more understated. We all have to be true to our own style, right? Plus, I want to put my wardrobe dollars and space into things that are used more frequently and in my everyday life.

That's not to say that I don't love seeing the cute bags that other people carry. Maybe I'll covet them for a few minutes when I see them on a tender 😁

Got it.  I thought it was a certain age at which you no longer care about style...I was curious about when I might hit that particular age!  😄  FWIW, I live ON the beach so my new "cute" beach bag will get lots of use after this cruise...and the next cruise...and the next cruise.

1 hour ago, CookingChick2020 said:

Got it.  I thought it was a certain age at which you no longer care about style...I was curious about when I might hit that particular age!  😄  FWIW, I live ON the beach so my new "cute" beach bag will get lots of use after this cruise...and the next cruise...and the next cruise.

Oh I definitely care about style! It's just changed over the years. 😜

• 1 month later...