Please help with picking stateroom on Eurodam

LAX

I think I have narrowed my choices down to Eurodam to Alaska. I am trying to figure out the best stateroom within my budget that is also still available to book. I want a stateroom with a verandah. Is picking a forward stateroom on Deck 4 (Upper Promenade) that is directly above the World Stage a bad idea in terms of noise? How late do events run on the World Stage? Would being on a lower deck somewhat mitigate the risk of motion sickness in a forward cabin vs midship? Part of my challenge is trying to book 3 staterooms that are near (preferably next to) each other.

LAX

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, LAX said:

Is picking a forward stateroom on Deck 4 (Upper Promenade) that is directly above the World Stage a bad idea in terms of noise? How late do events run on the World Stage?

Not that late, but gathering for tenders may be quite early and rehearsals may be loud in the later mornings and afternoons. But over is better than under!

Lower is better for motion whether at the ends of the ship or midships, with mid obviously better. What itinerary to Alaska? I forget...

ETA: actual sailing? I will have a look...

Edited by crystalspin

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Not that late, but gathering for tenders may be quite early and rehearsals may be loud in the later mornings and afternoons. But over is better than under!

Lower is better for motion whether at the ends of the ship or midships, with mid obviously better. What itinerary to Alaska? I forget...

Thanks. I was thinking about rehearsals, too. Didn't realize it's used as meeting place for tenders.

It's the RT out of Seattle and goes to Glacier Bay.

LAX

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

Date? if you want me to look at available cabins...

June 14 or 21, 2025 (4 guests). Do you have access to staterooms not showing on HAL's website? Just curious.

Oh! Another available option is Deck 5 (Verandah) where the ship narrows (midship). I read the lifeboats are directly below the verandah. Is there much to see in the water that close to the ship? In other words, does it really matter?

LAX

22 minutes ago, LAX said:

Would being on a lower deck somewhat mitigate the risk of motion sickness in a forward cabin vs midship?

While there are no guarantees, the Eurodam itineraries do not cross the Bay of Alaska and should not see major ocean movement. Maybe a little on the outside of Vancouver Island on the way to Juneau and back from Ketchikan, but none of my family had any problem there (only Bay of Alaska!).

1 minute ago, LAX said:

June 14 or 21, 2025 (4 guests). Do you have access to staterooms not showing on HAL's website? Just curious.

Oh! Another available option is Deck 5 (Verandah) where the ship narrows (midship). I read the lifeboats are directly below the verandah. Is there much to see in the water that close to the ship? In other words, does it really matter?

I have uncanny Google skills, but no access to hidden cabins! 

Re: deck 5 verandahs. No, wildlife sighting are not usually that close to the ship (maybe a seal or otter, but whales are usually farther out). Some people protest about the "orange glow" from the lifeboats below their balconies. If you see three cabins close together on Deck 5, they would be quiet, sandwiched between other staterooms on 4 and 6!

I did not realize you were looking as far out as 2025 and only looked at Eurodam 2024. Looking now!

20 minutes ago, LAX said:

I would definitely pick Deck 5, aft of the midship elevators, for either of your two dates. If you pick farther from the elevator, you can choose connecting cabins for two of them, if that is desirable. But the other person would be in a connecting cabin that is connecting to non-group. That is not a big thing -- only once have I heard anything through the double doors.

I would choose portside (even numbers), although most places where you can see land, you can see it on both sides, and whales can pop up either side!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were deck 6 midship, 2 cabins aft from the glass elevators, port side Sign Suite on Eurodam last Apr 29 - May 6 for the opening season to AK. Had 0 issues w/elevator noise and no motion issues. We enjoyed the views - no shortage of gorgeous breathtaking views (it's AK!), but are self processed aft snobs that will still take a true aft wake view any time we can get one. I think we just felt out of place. Loved the larger balcony of the SS. So the deck 5 mid ship sounds like a good choice. We also prefer port rather than starboard when we aren't aft.

If you really don't need to be located next to each other, getting cabins with different views would allow all of you an opportunity to see different views when visiting each others cabins. Just a thought.

As @crystalspin said, there's really not a lot of movement, but Mother Nature is in control, so if that's a concern, !owed & mid would be better.

It's a great cruise - enjoy!!

Here's the review if you want to read it: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2934932-live-review-eurodam-alaska-april-29-may-6-2023-seattle-roundtrip/

Edited by Haljo1935
Cannot get rid of the duplicate link, sorry

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We were deck 6 midship, 2 cabins aft from the glass elevators, port side Sign Suite on Eurodam last Apr 29 - May 6 for the opening season to AK. Had 0 issues w/elevator noise and no motion issues. We enjoyed the views - no shortage of gorgeous breathtaking views (it's AK!), but are self processed aft snobs that will still take a true aft wake view any time we can get one. I think we just felt out of place. Loved the larger balcony of the SS. So the deck 5 mid ship sounds like a good choice. We also prefer port rather than starboard when we aren't aft.

If you really don't need to be located next to each other, getting cabins with different views would allow all of you an opportunity to see different views when visiting each others cabins. Just a thought.

It's a great cruise - enjoy!!

Did you notice passengers in the elevator looking into your balcony? Some folks may mind that, others don't care but it's something to consider. 

I can just say I’ve been on the Eurodam for Alaska and both times we were in around 8139 and 8127 I think they were (or right next to them) and loved it both times. I felt it was great placement, saw a ton, no loud noise, close to food and bars. 

I'm going on another in June but we’ll be on 7 Forward and will see how it is there. 

2 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Did you notice passengers in the elevator looking into your balcony? Some folks may mind that, others don't care but it's something to consider. 

We did not notice it. Have read about it, but was not an issue. Maybe 2 cabins over is far enough away?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips. Maybe they are mostly booked, but I am seeing limited selection of staterooms with verandah for 4. Basically a couple of forward staterooms (not counting the suites, of course). Even the ones that are classified as midship are towards the front.

If forward staterooms are not particularly more prone to motion sickness, I can go up one deck to 6 (Upper Verandah), which helps moving us further away from those lifeboats.

LAX

40 minutes ago, LAX said:

Maybe they are mostly booked, but I am seeing limited selection of staterooms with verandah for 4. Basically a couple of forward staterooms (not counting the suites, of course). Even the ones that are classified as midship are towards the front.

If forward staterooms are not particularly more prone to motion sickness, I can go up one deck to 6 (Upper Verandah),

Oh, I missed the fact that you wanted a cabin that can sleep FOUR, plus two other cabins. I thought it was four people in three cabins! Let me look again.

58 minutes ago, LAX said:

If forward staterooms are not particularly more prone to motion sickness, I can go up one deck to 6 (Upper Verandah), which helps moving us further away from those lifeboats.

LAX, I can say that we have cruised far front with no sea sickness, and midship with family, who suffered from some Mal de Mer (in Bay of Alaska). So staying midship is no guarantee and if you can find cabins for your group forward on Deck 6, on the mostly inside-passage route of the Eurodam, I would grab them.

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

LAX, I can say that we have cruised far front with no sea sickness, and midship with family, who suffered from some Mal de Mer (in Bay of Alaska). So staying midship is no guarantee and if you can find cabins for your group forward on Deck 6, on the mostly inside-passage route of the Eurodam, I would grab them.

I do realize there is no guarantee, especially in rough water. What are the pros and cons of a forward vs midship stateroom? There's gotta some reasons they are a bit cheaper, right?

LAX

Just now, LAX said:

What are the pros and cons of a forward vs midship stateroom? There's gotta some reasons they are a bit cheaper, right?

Midship has less motion, but the advantage is more in the minds of pax than reality. The idea ignores the fact that there are considerable decks below Main or Dolphin deck! The mass of the ship, like an iceberg, is below the water.

The other advantage of a midship cabin is, when you are setting out from the stateroom -- nothing is more than half-a-ship away. However, if you are in the Crows Nest (upper forward) and want to go to the MDR (lower aft), it is still a ship away.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 2:42 AM, LAX said:

I think I have narrowed my choices down to Eurodam to Alaska. I am trying to figure out the best stateroom within my budget that is also still available to book. I want a stateroom with a verandah. Is picking a forward stateroom on Deck 4 (Upper Promenade) that is directly above the World Stage a bad idea in terms of noise? How late do events run on the World Stage? Would being on a lower deck somewhat mitigate the risk of motion sickness in a forward cabin vs midship? Part of my challenge is trying to book 3 staterooms that are near (preferably next to) each other.

LAX

We took your cruise last August. The only rough water we ran into was Icey Point to Sitka. The captain deployed the stabilizers that night and you could barely feel the motion. We were on Deck 7 midship..

• Like 1

We were on the Eurodam in September in room v5095 right by the glass elevators. There was no noise from the elevators. Once in awhile I would see someone on the elevator, but you would really have to be looking to see anything. Whenever we rode those elevators, they went so fast, you were on and off quickly. I never saw anyone standing on their balcony. So, it would only be a brief instance if it ever happens. It was a great room, but there were only 2 people in it. Not sure if its suited for 4. However, deck 5 is great to be on. 

We did have some rough seas for a few days in fact due to a storm. We had to skip Juneau and took the inside passage instead. So it was kind of a trade off, but that first day was very rough. Lots of sea sickness - even the crew members were feeling it. My husband stayed in the room since he was sick. But, I walked around during the rough part as being confined to the room made me feel it even more. With that said on the roughest day, I don't think there was any part of the ship that you wouldn't have felt it. 

We loved the Eurodam! Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

ON ED, the World Stage is on levels 1,2 and 3.  Stay away from staterooms on 4 forward of the elevators, and preferably quite a ways back from that first set of elevators.  Above the library, shops, photo shop and meeting rooms would be great.  I would tend to stay away from the open area on 4 between the 2nd and 3rd elevators because that is the kitchen area.  Just about anything on 5, 6, 7 is great except those right next to the bump out elevators. You will hear the "ding" from those if you have a stateroom right next to.  We had a stateroom 2 rooms away and heard them.  Ouch.  Prices are high.  I often book last minute and usually nab a good Verandah room like I just did for our Japan trip next month, but that's how I roll.  No guarantee.  

Thanks for the additional tips. I think Deck 6 Forward would work as long as we don't run into rough water. I just need to work out a few other things before I can pull the trigger!

LAX

Posted (edited)

Lax, something to keep in mind if you end up on deck 4 forward:  4001 - 4008 the legend symbols (* and 'diamond').  The asterisk indicates shower only, while the diamond symbol represents steel balcony wall rather than the glass.  4009 through 4042 also have the steel balcony instead of glass.  None of these s/r's can accommodate four, only three -' 'open circle symbol.  The symbol for a quad cabin is the 'open' square.

A good place to check the deck plans is vacations to go.  Click 'ships and ratings', in next window scroll down to Holland America, then to your ship.  Click on ship name, then 'deck plans' in next window.  Deck names are represented there, so keep in mind that Main Deck is Deck 1 with succeeding deck numbers as you scroll up the list.

Donna

Edited by GeorgesGal
delete text
  • Like 1