Live From Viking Star -- 18 March 2024 to 01 April 2024 -- Transatlantic FLL/BCN

FetaCheese

Love to read about well feed cruisers who are being pampered by the crew! Enjoy every minute.

I  did go to Torshaven on some my first Viing cruises. But now I cannot stay awake and full of energy after 9:30 pm.good to now they have some really interesting liquor.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I cannot stay awake and full of energy after 9:30 pm

You have us beat!  We're usually around 9:00.  But we have made it to Torshavn........once. 😴😴

• Haha 1

Noticed last night coughing has started big time in the explorer's lounge and main dining room.  Moved a couple of times to get away from it.  Want to stay healthy for the remainder of the cruise and post extension.  Came down with major bronchitis on our last river cruise because of coughers.

I

5 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

Noticed last night coughing has started big time in the explorer's lounge and main dining room.  Moved a couple of times to get away from it.  Want to stay healthy for the remainder of the cruise and post extension.  Came down with major bronchitis on our last river cruise because of coughers.

I do cough on occasion....mine is asthma. I haven't been in the Explorers Lounge though and didn't cough in the dining room either. I've been avoiding crowds, I don't want anyone to think I'm sick! I've only been to Star Lounge once...yesterday for the port talk. I sat in the very back in the white chairs with a mask on. I'm kind of dreading the coach ride to the tobaggan today. Ugh. I've got my inhaler. It's gotten so every time I cough I look next to me and say, it's asthma! Embarrassing.

2 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

I still haven't taken an elevator! My climbing is slow but I'm managing. I'll post about the toboggan ride later. I survived.

You are so fortunate you were able to do the toboggan ride.  We had that excursion booked last year on our TA, but were not able to dock.  I would love to hear about it.  It looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Posted (edited)

The weather was looking very iffy this morning, but aside from a brief shower and some wind while waiting in line for the tobaggan, it was a nice day. Tonight, though, it's getting pretty spicy. I love it! We're having our anniversary dinner at the Chef's Table, watching the wild sea outside the windows. 

Here is our photo from the tobaggan ride! Weee! 

178_638472224378642022-b80d4623-777b-4217-a08d-61364962db16.thumb.jpg.3664090c72a3c19e50adbb041bb98b7c.jpg

Edited by LissaKay
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, LissaKay said:

The weather was looking very iffy this morning, but aside from a brief shower and some wind while waiting in line for the tobaggan, it was a nice day. Tonight, though, it's getting pretty spicy. I love it! We're having our anniversary dinner at the Chef's Table, watching the wild sea outside the windows. 

Here is our photo from the tobaggan ride! Weee! 

178_638472224378642022-b80d4623-777b-4217-a08d-61364962db16.thumb.jpg.3664090c72a3c19e50adbb041bb98b7c.jpg

Great picture!! Mine not so much.. but I bought it anyway.

We stood in line one and a half hours to board the tobaggan (folks behind me timed it). It was cold. And wet. And raining off and on. But better than standing in the heat. I'm glad I did it. I had a rain jacket. The folks behind me had the Viking ponchos. They were all laughing. They were pink, kind of like a kitchen garbage bag thickness. Our guide was trying to help people put them on. Most people already broke through the sleeves. Bring a rain jacket!!

I thought our guide was great. I (personally) could have been happy without the wine tasting (and I like wine)

I was so happy with our guide, I think we were really lucky.

We went to a scenic overlook for pics. I can tell you it was windy. Very very windy. But a good day for me.

• Like 3

I remember the TA , Same as yours, I was on. We too had rough seas leaving  Madeira till we got into the Med. 

I  never get seasick on a  boat or ship.  I feel like I am rocking in a cradle in a storm on the ocean.  Must be my Danish heritage. 😁

Posted (edited)

Today we attended a cooking class in Kitchen Table.  We learned how to make paella. There are many ways to prepare paella. 

Led by Chef Junner.  He was very informative and all present seemed to enjoy the class.  I volunteered and accepted invitation to begin the stovetop prep, then another pax took over.

After eating our paella, which was very delicious, the chef led us on a galley tour.

Cooking classes are not publicized in V Daily.  Must sign up at GS early in voyage, as # is limited to 8 pax.  Held on Sea days only.  Thanks to CC V regulars, I learned this and also about booking ship tours (also not publicized) with GS early on.  Other themes were Italian, French, etc.

Was a nice experience, and in my opinion,was time and $69pp, well spent.IMG_20240330_112853735_HDR.thumb.jpg.cb9ab512eb7f545dbd8717b74632e46c.jpgIMG_20240330_104128140_HDR.thumb.jpg.b73ee6ba916962b5c62bd571f832925e.jpgIMG_20240330_104049107_HDR.thumb.jpg.20b7056a0208cd81fe1fd2e5688b15a3.jpg

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Today we attended a cooking class in Kitchen Table.  We learned how to make paella. There are many ways to prepare paella. 

Led by Chef Junner.  He was very informative and all present seemed to enjoy the class.  I volunteered and accepted invitation to begin the stovetop prep, then another pax took over.

After eating our paella, which was very delicious, the chef led us on a galley tour.

Cooking classes are not publicized in V Daily.  Must sign up at GS early in voyage, as # is limited to 8 pax.  Held on Sea days only.  Thanks to CC V regulars, I learned this and also about booking ship tours (also not publicized) with GS early on.  Other themes were Italian, French, etc.

Was a nice experience, and in my opinion,was time and $69pp, well spent.IMG_20240330_112853735_HDR.thumb.jpg.cb9ab512eb7f545dbd8717b74632e46c.jpgIMG_20240330_104128140_HDR.thumb.jpg.b73ee6ba916962b5c62bd571f832925e.jpgIMG_20240330_104049107_HDR.thumb.jpg.20b7056a0208cd81fe1fd2e5688b15a3.jpg

Glad you had a great time!   Yes - this is the hidden unknown value on Viking.  We always try to take at least one sea day cooking class.   So interesting!  Our last one we did California menu (with Crabcakes and halibut).  

• Thanks 1

Had a great lobster thermidor tonight prepared by Chef Joseph and also excellent fried soft crab.   One of the best lobster dishes I've had in a long time and coming from Baltimore an excellent take on soft crabs.

• Like 2

Returned from final Viking Vocalists Show tonight, "Southern Sounds".  A fine performance by the group.  Also included CD and asst. CD singing 1 song each.

A nice Easter gift from Viking was waiting on our desk.IMG_20240330_220553243.thumb.jpg.2fdf5c0b476239b7f4d9940666118303.jpg

• Like 2

There was a bit of drama last night, as might be surmised from this morning's announcements. I don't have any specific details beyond what I witnessed, which may or may not be relevant or even related. 

At the end of the Farewell Reception, there was a pax who had some issue that required medical response team and a stretcher. Then, around 11 pm, we were chatting with Damian in Torshavn when he was summoned by the Captain. Not something that is usual at that time of night. He hurried away, clearly concerned. About 11:30, there was an urgent announcement requesting those with O+ or O- blood type to volunteer a donation for a patient in need. 

That's all I know, and the events may or may not be related. 

I was extremely proud to see the incredible turn out of people that showed up to help. It was truly amazing. Most of the volunteers had to be turned away because they had been imbibing that evening, but still plenty who had not, including the crew that have been on board renovating staterooms. 

We're now awaiting our excursion to start - we're on the Best of Barcelona and Our Lady of Montserrat. As I've mentioned, we're staying on for the Med Odyssey, so will also have two more days in Barcelona. I'm going to miss all the new friends we've made, but excited to experience the next adventures and more new friends! 

• Like 3

Overnighting in BCN.  Disembarking tomorrow, except for the 97 fortunate pax staying on to Venice.

Tonight a Destination performance brought on, "La Rumba Catalana", guitar and flamenco show.  Very entertaining.IMG_20240331_200618884.thumb.jpg.bf5d2428f00629cf6472d2d30b41b49d.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Tonight a Destination performance brought on, "La Rumba Catalana", guitar and flamenco show.  Very entertaining.

Sounds lovely. The destination performances are always worth going to, in my experience. 

24 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Sounds lovely. The destination performances are always worth going to, in my experience. 

This is 4th VO cruise. Tonight's was 1st destination performance we experienced.

Nothing brought on for Greek Odyssey, another TA, and Hawaiian Islands Sojourn.  

Was really lots of fun, with some pax brought on stage to dance for last  #

• Like 1