Alaska - Grand Princess - Best Viewing Area (Glacier Bay/College Fjord)

BRDLY99

Upfront I realize this request may be outrageous or impossible but if there is such a place I'm sure this group will be able to provide me the best options.

Family going on Alaskan cruise this summer on the Grand Princess. We do have a balcony room (port side) Dolphin deck. Looking for recommendations of where to go during Glacier Bay/College Fjord for best viewing (unobstructed if possible with little crowds). I understand it takes some time for the cruise to get to these locations and camping out all day watching the scenery go by may not be an option (but if it is let me know!). 

Thank you in advance!

You have a number of options including just enjoying it from your own balcony, which we often prefer. Keep in mind the ship will do a full turn at the glacier so you get good views from both sides of the ship. Furthermore, as far as views approaching and leaving the glaciers, from your balcony you will see it both ways - one side coming in and the other side going out. 

But, if you want a more expansive view, you can always go out to the promenade deck and follow it all the way forward to the bow if it is open. Or, you could go out to the small aft deck and have wide ranging views from that angle as well. 

You can also get great views from the top lido and sports decks in the open areas as well. 

Keep in mind, public areas can get crowded - all the people who don’t have balconies will be looking for viewing areas. That’s one of the advantages of having a balcony in Alaska as you have your own dedicated space for viewing. 

We generally order from room service or bring staples from the buffet, stock up with a couple of pots of hot water for hot chocolate or tea and just enjoy the day on our own balcony. 

If you want to be out and about though, you will have a lot of viewing areas to enjoy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

But, if you want a more expansive view, you can always go out to the promenade deck and follow it all the way forward to the bow if it is open. Or, you could go out to the small aft deck and have wide ranging views from that angle as well. 

This is my favorite spot. It is Deck 7 and is covered (in case it rains). You can walk easily from side to side (either around the ship or cut through the ship) to get from one side to another. 

Everyone heads to the top. I actually prefer Deck 7 as pictures turn out better when you are at a lower level as opposed to looking down. Also, this area is often not crowded. There maybe people on deck but you are not fighting for spots.

You want to be mobile as the ship goes towards the glaciers to get the best view.

The other area when leaving the glaciers that I like is the aft pool area.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We’ll be on the Grand and cruising in and out of the College Fjord in May where I will also be posting to a Live From thread. But you did get me curious where the fjord was as we haven’t cruised through them before. 

IMG_3726.thumb.jpeg.0e8b53352a30dc5b92452c2100806726.jpeg

As @karatemom2 suggested the Grand will need to do a full turn probably at the “last” glacier before heading back out the fjord, so your balcony might be your best bet. It also appears you will have some awesome views of a variety of glaciers from your port side balcony prior to the turn around.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/alaska-cruise-tips/learn-about-alaska/the-glaciers-of-college-fjord-alaska.html

The same applies as you head towards the glacier in Glacier Bay.

IMG_3727.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser

We usually try to stick with a travel budget so book an obstructed OV room on deck 8.  We then go to deck 7 and pop in an out the entire morning .. can go from side to side depending on where the scenery is the best at the time.  
If we get a balcony, we tend to hang out there. It’s kind of an all morning site seeing adventure so, we get something hot or drink.  Be aware, there will be no paper coffee cups, paper napkins or anything disposable that day so an insulated mug is a great idea.  

We tend to like the port side and the Caribe deck balconies are great for a family.  But either way, you will see what Peter you don’t see on the way up and the captain will make a full turn quite slowly when you get to Majorie Glacier.  You will also see the Grand Pacific Glacier in the way up and back but closer on the way back out of the fjord.  The whole day is amazing!  
I would probably plan the early morning hours on the balcony and deck 7 after you’ve left the Majorie Glacier.  For photographs of the Grand Pacific Glacier, which is spectacular, I would try to be on deck 7 unless you have a starboard side balcony.  You can pop in an out on deck 7 in between.  

• Like 1

On our first couple of Alaska cruises we booked inside cabins and were fine with them. We went up on the high decks forward so we could see everything on both sides. I would watch for the glacier to calve and would hear  "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" from the folks behind me looking the other way. I would quickly turn around just in time to see a bit of splash but basically miss it. While I was looking that way in disappointment I would hear, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" behind me again from people looking the way I had just turned away from. You get the idea. Still, we enjoyed it greatly and, once I figured out I was too dang slow or whatever to catch the calving it was fine. Like others we retreated to the Promenade deck and had more comfortable viewing that was great.

On our last Alaska cruise I booked a balcony and we enjoyed both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier from the comfort of our balcony while sipping a drink. We had our own, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" moments even though we didn't see any calving.

We've done 3 Alaska cruises, all included Glacier Bay and 2 included College Fjord.  National Park rangers will be broadcasting over the PA system in Glacier Bay (which, IIRC is about a 6 hour trip up and back).  You can also hear their narratives on the television should you decide to sit on your balcony (although I agree with others that it is best to get up and about).  They seemed to me to be concentrating the announcements more on the first half of the trip.  I think they have lectures for adults and a presentation for the kids on the return trip. 

On our visits to College Fjord the on board naturalists did the narration.  We've been fortunate to have some first rate naturalists on Princess Alaska cruises.  Watch the Patter for their presentations and those of other experts brought on in port. If Libby Riddles, the first woman to win the Itidarod, comes on board (usually with at least one of her dogs), don't miss her presentation.