Sailing HAL Alaska in 2025 - Am I missing out not picking koningsdam?

I'm organizing a family trip in May 2025 for 4 for the 14-Day Yukon+Denali: Tour Y3L booking a Neptune Suite. We're in our early 30's and prioritizing the land portion. I do not see us taking another cruise to Alaska for 5+ years at least so we're hoping to make the most of it on land.

I have more questions about the ship. I have read reviews, seen YouTube footage of the rooms & ships, and reviewed the deck maps over many hours. I'm hoping to get some feedback on some questions I couldn't quite get a clear answer on:

• Lack of Club Orange private venue on Zaandam - is this a big deal?
  • Dining - I know the Koningsdam has more options. I'm wondering if they're good enough to warrant picking this ship?
  • Rooms (Neptune Suite)
    • On the Zaandam the NS rooms are all on Deck 7 below Lido whereas on the Koningsdam they're also available on Deck 6. We're concerned about the noise so wondering if anyone has insight on whether Koningsdam is quieter even with more people.
  • Crowds - I've never been on a cruise and wondering if 2500 vs. 1400 people (and weekday boarding for Zaandam vs weekend) makes a big difference.
  • Views - I've read that the Zaandam has better viewing areas like the crows nest and smaller crowds. That makes me wonder how things are aboard the Koningsdam?

Thanks everyone!

I think you made the right choice. For one thing, Zaandam has a wraparound promenade next to the sea, which is perfect for viewing wildlife, whales, ice floes in Glacier Bay, or just doing laps on sea days--on Koningsdam the views are blocked by lifeboats mostly. Also, the buffet on Koningsdam is too busy and chaotic, with not enough seating, and the same can go for the dining room, with long waits, beepers, etc. In Alaska during the summer, the ships will be packed, so small is definitely better, I'd say. Koningsdam is also horrible for upper-deck viewing and navigating, with entire areas blocked off for crew smoking areas and restaurants, whereas above the Lido on Zaandam you can easily find viewing areas for glaciers and move around. The only virtues of Koningsdam are a two-level covered Lido deck, a Rolling Stone lounge, glass showers, and a bigger theater in the round, but since HAL doesn't have shows, just dance shows and lectures, it doesn't make any real difference. Zaandam has Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill, and I wouldn't go on Koningsdam just for sushi or Asian fusion (HAL has good Lido sushi at lunch). Finally, getting on and off the ship in ports is much easier, as is embarkation/debarkation on Wednesdays--Canada Place can be a zoo, and with a larger ship leaving on Saturdays, it's just nightmarish. I'm going on Zaandam at the end of May, and again in December to Mexico for 10 days, because in the era of mega ships and all lines building bigger and builder, there are few options for an older, smaller, quality ship. Oh, and Zaandam has better art and artifacts, like a guitar signed by Lou Reed and David Bowie and a sax signed by Clinton, as well as an odd Egyptian head. To me Alaska is more about the destination, so a smaller ship with great views is more important than amenities of a more modern ship, especially with only two sea days and evenings in a lot of ports (with very long daylight hours in May). 

• Like 6

You say you've never been on a cruise?  I think you'll have a great time as long as you manage your expectations compared to land resorts.  There are many beneficial aspects of a cruise over a land resort, but obviously there are some tradeoffs.  For instance, generally, rooms are smaller than the average resort/hotel room, but at the same time, you are much closer to food, recreation, and entertainment.  

While I think you have a nice list here of things to compare the ships by, I wouldn't get too hung up on the details.

We took folks that had never been on a cruise on the old ms Amsterdam (near sister of the Zaandam before she was sold in 2020) and they had a great time which was nice to see given that that ship had very few bells and whistles compared to the newest ships out there today.

To speak to your questions specifically.

• The lack of Club Orange private venue won't be that much of an issue.  On the K-dam its in an interior area where you have to look through a hallway to see the water.  On all HAL ships the main dining room has stunning views - and the Zaandam and sister ship Volendam have probably the best views of all the ships.
  • As for dining options, it depends if you get bored eating in the same place each night.  yes the K-dam has a few more choices but unless you like those venues that it has over the Zaandam, you wouldn't notice.  The main dining room menu is mostly different each night.  The other venues also cost extra - the food is very good and highly specialized for the venue, but I think most would agree that the included main dining room food is very good to excellent.  Sorry, that's not a good answer I guess.
  • I can't speak to the NS rooms being quieter on the Zaandam - someone who has stayed in them is probably better qualified to answer.  But there really isn't that much to move around on the lido deck above compared to bigger ships.  Overall, the Zaandam is a quiet ship unless you are on deck 1 during docking or port activities.
  • Crowds - well the Zaandam handles crowds very well in that you'll rarely see them, but compared to a land resort, you may experience them when you wouldn't expect them.  There will be fewer crowds than the K-dam for food and entertainment, for sure.  But remember, you are on a ship and when its at sea, everyone is onboard also.  If its a sunny day, expect it to be a bit more crowded around the pools.  On embarkation day, expect it to be very busy in the buffet right after boarding.  But on the Zaandam, I don't really recall seeing crowds other than those times.  There may be some when getting off the ship to go into port if there is only 1 gangway down.
  • The Zaandam has better viewing areas, and more of them for the amount of passengers onboard, for sure.
  • The Zaandam also has a better space in the Explorations Cafe and for that we would sail on her again over the K-dam. 

The K-dam is a beautiful ship, as is the Zaandam.  The Zaandam may not be around too much longer as its one of the older ships in the fleet and the cruise lines can make more profit with larger ships.  If I were you, especially going to Alaska, I would stick with the Zaandam. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Doctor said:

I'm organizing a family trip in May 2025 for 4 for the 14-Day Yukon+Denali: Tour Y3L booking a Neptune Suite.

• Crowds - I've never been on a cruise and wondering if 2500 vs. 1400 people (and weekday boarding for Zaandam vs weekend) makes a big difference.
  • Views - I've read that the Zaandam has better viewing areas like the crows nest and smaller crowds. That makes me wonder how things are aboard the Koningsdam?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the HAL Forum.  You will find lots of answers here.

To help in your planning, here is an informative HAL brochure for Alaska:  Alaska Tour Tips

I have sailed on both the Zaandam and Koningsdam. 

Viewing - As a frequent Alaska cruiser, I enjoyed my Zaandam cruise for the views from the Deck 6 and 7 aft balconies, accessible through the doors at the end of the hallways.  There are loungers, blankets, and a large heating vent.  The Koningsdam does not have the Deck 6 and 7 spanning balconies.

Staterooms - My Zaandam stateroom did not have any beside electrical or USB connections so I brought a 15-foot USB cable that would reach the USB ports at the desk. The Koningsdam does

Crowds - Since both the Koningsdam and Zaandam use a single gangway, passengers on the gangway can be off the Zaandam much quicker.

Onboard - The Koningsdam has five baristas for two Specialty Coffee services and the Zandaam only one of each.  The Zaandam does not have a dedicated pizza operation, a Grand Dutch Cafe, a Gelato operation, or a comparable Room Service menu.  The Zaandam does have a Taco Bar near the indoor pool.

Alaska cruises normally dock in each port early in the day.  That makes the days very long and time aboard ship is very limited to enjoy the many attractions offered by much larger ships.

I strongly recommend Fly Denali with a landing in the mountain snow.

image.jpeg.41d2be6114c3829a0de8e094a5e5e23f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Another consideration is that the Zaandam is on a Wednesday to Wednesday schedule. Most Alaska cruises run Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. You'll likely find your port stops less crowded.

The Neptunes on the Zaandam feel more like suites, IMHO. Choose one on the starboard side so that you are on the side where the entrance to the Neptune Lounge is.

You may hear them arranging the pool chairs in the morning, but other than that, it's not noisy.

I'd take the Zaandam hands down. Alaska is all about the scenery, and you'll have better viewing from the Zaandam.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Zaandam, no contest. Bigger cabins, more common space, more outdoor space for viewing the scenery.  I did a 15 night Hawaii cruise on Zaandam a few years ago and it was glorious. Maximum passenger count understates the difference between the ships by a lot. Far fewer passengers spread out over way more "common space" than their newer ships.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1

Another reason for Zaandam is that the venues are on decks 4,5 and 8 rather than 2, 3 and 9 meaning that it is much easier to use companionways instead of elevators to and from your suite.

On Zaandam try to stay in cabin 7027-7029. We find it less noisy from pool deck shuffling chairs early morning or at night when they clean. Also not directly under Lido market as same for chair moving. It's a bit more isolated under Canaletto. We prefer Neptune Suite on smaller ships as they are slightly bigger. We do miss the Dutch Cafe and BB King that are on Pinnacle ships but not enough to choose over an R Class sailing in Alaska. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Explorations/Crow's Nest is great for glacier viewing on either ship.

For me, there's almost no such thing as a bad cruise to AK - the mid-week embarkation & disembarkation is a key win for Zaandam. 

I am a big fan of Grand Dutch Cafe & it's hard one for me to give up, but the posts about non-service dogs being allowed on recent K'dam cruises is concerning enough to me that I would give up GDC and also go w/Zaandam.

Don't forget the Dutch Pea Soup that is served on Glacier Day Bay - yum!

20230502_103310.thumb.jpg.0678c87bd50e879d9b180bf6d8c0f2d2.jpg

20230502_095725.thumb.jpg.54eca794df85d2d1dda5c70da2dc744d.jpg

20230502_120150.thumb.jpg.17fe43ea92c5c6fdf1d98c079bd8f2ed.jpg

20230502_115751.thumb.jpg.632197dffc46855932a710cef03ff812.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

We have taken several of the Yukon/Denali itineraries.  The Y3L is a great itinerary.  After your land tour you will join the Zaandam in Skagway.  The Zaandam is a perfect ship for this amazing adventure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Doctor said:

Thank you all so much for the incredible feedback! I booked us for May 14, 2025 aboard the Zaandam! Super excited to report back next year.

Congrats! Look forward to your report next year.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We are actually switching from the Koningsdam to the Zaandam for the 7 day inside passage Alaska round trip from Vancouver this summer.  We had booked the Koningsdam for 2025, but wanted to change to this summer and the Koningsdam excursions that we want are fully booked already.  So we are going with the Zaandam for 2024 & are hoping that we like it. We are first timers, so we really have no frame of reference! OP, I can circle back here to report after the cruise. 

In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions for selecting a Vista cabin on the Zaandam? Specifically, we are looking at Deck 6 (Verandah) Vista balcony staterooms. We want Midship. How’s port side above the Explorations Cafe? Around A 6188, A 6190. Deck 7 above us is all cabins — so that’s good. Deck 5 below is the Upper Promenade Deck — we are hoping it wouldn’t be loud right above the Explorations Cafe? Open to suggestions. 

There are some Vista cabins on Deck 7 but they are below the Lido, which someone reported was loud.

Anyone notice any issues with weird noises on Deck 6 — creaking, vibration? One reviewer said their balcony was creaking loudly enough to keep them awake. Has anyone experienced this on Zaandam? Thx again for any help w/ selection.

Edited by Ileneilene123