Constipation while cruising

On 3/31/2024 at 9:07 PM, notscb said:

It'd be easier to say you disagree, but I am contributing to the conversation.

When folks are on vacation they tend to splurge in the diet department, which doesn't help and especially doesn't help when folks have chronic health issues. The change of diet on cruise ships is enough by itself to make things worse, so folks need to do what they can to control what they're taking in and not do the vacation splurge while onboard.

The "real"est overnight remedy is, in part, to maintain as close to your existing food intake as possible to not exacerbate the issue.

And you are misunderstanding the actual issue.  

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:44 AM, birdman518 said:

Thanks to all for replying.  I have just been trying a Magnesium supplement tablet, with only 

a little (not enough IMO) success.

The whole issue is that I would prefer not to miss a whole day of my cruise/trip in the bathroom, which is what happens if I used either Dulcolax liquid or Magnesium citrate liquid.  Both work, but after 4 or 5 days of constipation, it takes a while.  

As I tried to indicate before, this is an ongoing problem that I believe has to do with my spine issues...  it is pretty common to read that nerve problems can be indicated for constipation, presumably because nerves work muscles, including the colon.

Try twice a day...once in am, once at night.  

18 minutes ago, notscb said:

Thanks for your input 🙂 

To be clear, what we are calling travel constipation resolves itself (sometimes within minutes thus home court advantage theory) when you return home without dietary changes and we all aren't cruise overeaters as implied.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

To be clear, what we are calling travel constipation resolves itself (sometimes within minutes thus home court advantage theory) when you return home without dietary changes and we all aren't cruise overeaters as implied.  

We always see with cruises and different travels even on land how different locations, sources of food and preparations. Even we've seen it in change of water.

Once home, all should be ok unless a bug came home from the travel. We do take certain pharm's with us for use if we experience it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

To be clear I didn't say that you were an over-eater on vacation, and can read and contribute to a thread. OP was talking about 'chronic', not just travel, BTW.

If you hover over my username to the left, there's a little button that says "ignore." I'm going to use it, you should probably do the same.

Have a great day 🙂 

Edited by notscb

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 2:24 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The OP and myself included the information we use MiraLAX daily.  This is a high fiber supplement that does not cause gas/bloating like Metamucil.  

just an FYI, as far as I know Miralax is an osmotic laxative: polyethylene glycol. It's not fiber.

Bayer (the maker of Miralax) also makes MiraFiber gummies, which are fiber (a bulk forming laxative).

Quick update:  This has been working quite well for me: 
1.  Daily dose of Miralax + Metamucil.

2.  500mg Magnesium Citrate capsule daily.

This has been producing as close to "normal" as I have been for a while.

I would like to see if only doing the Magnesium on an "as needed" basis would work, 

i.e., maybe two times per week.

The results have been "not too urgent", which is a good thing.

Thanks to all again!

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 2:19 PM, birdman518 said:

Thanks to both of you.  Sorry I should have made several things clear:  I eat a healthy diet of mostly home-cooked foods with lots of vegetables (and garlic).  I also take Metamucil and some Miralax daily.   I used to take a stool softener each day, and I drink a fair amount of water.   I have tried prune juice regularly.   It is probable that my constipation could be caused at least partly because I have neuropathy issues for my cervical and lumbar spine, and this can be related to constipation, as the nerves need to all work properly to move things through.

So my question is not about "constipation in general" as all of these ideas can be found online.  But on a cruise, where every day is planned, I would prefer not to be stuck on ship because I had to take a more drastic laxative which could take all day to work.   I was hoping for someone who might say they had the same issue...

I have chronic constipation due to having Parkinson’s.I take Miralax daily as well as one to two fig newtons ,4 to 5 pieces of ginger ,a lot of fruit and vegetables and sometimes nothing works.On cruises I took none of the above and just went on the first day of the cruise and when I came home.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, birdman518 said:

Quick update:  This has been working quite well for me: 
1.  Daily dose of Miralax + Metamucil.

2.  500mg Magnesium Citrate capsule daily.

This has been producing as close to "normal" as I have been for a while.

I would like to see if only doing the Magnesium on an "as needed" basis would work, 

i.e., maybe two times per week.

The results have been "not too urgent", which is a good thing.

Thanks to all again!

My GI doctor feels that Magnesium Chloride liquid should only be taken if a person has not had a bowel movement for 8 days.

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My GI doctor feels that Magnesium Chloride liquid should only be taken if a person has not had a bowel movement for 8 days.

I use Magnesium Citrate liquid similarly only as a last resort.. it is like a colonoscopy prep.  Not something I want to do while vacationing, esp. on a cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdman518 said:

I use Magnesium Citrate liquid similarly only as a last resort.. it is like a colonoscopy prep.  Not something I want to do while vacationing, esp. on a cruise.

I was not suggesting that it be used on a cruise .Just a point of information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 3:36 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just an FYI, as far as I know Miralax is an osmotic laxative: polyethylene glycol. It's not fiber.

Bayer (the maker of Miralax) also makes MiraFiber gummies, which are fiber (a bulk forming laxative).

I'll tell my physician.