Lounge Hogs: Regent's Failure to Act or Respond

16 minutes ago, NDOMA said:

I wish I had a Passages from our cruise earlier this month so I could post the wording of a daily notice requesting passengers not save the loungers.  There is also a tiny notice posted on the pool deck on the Grandeur, but it is very easy to overlook.

Every sunny day, some passengers rose early to place items, or themselves, on the coveted semi-private shaded loungers, preventing others from using them.  It was usually the same people, over and over.

And what is wrong if they place themselves on the lounger? That is what they are for.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Johnthesailor said:

And what is wrong if they place themselves on the lounger? That is what they are for.

Holding a lounger for more than 30 minutes violates Regent's policy....not to mention being selfish.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Holding a lounger for more than 30 minutes violates Regent's policy....not to mention being selfish.

It is not a Policy if it is not enforced. Regent did enforce the policy on our Splendor cruise a while back by having a "table of shame" set up by pool bar and items left unattended for more that 30 minutes were collected and left there for pickup by these inconsiderate miscreants. Almost wanted to stand up and applaud them when retrieving their items while I was sipping cocktails at pool bar. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

It is not a Policy if it is not enforced. Regent did enforce the policy on our Splendor cruise a while back by having a "table of shame" set up by pool bar and items left unattended for more that 30 minutes were collected and left there for pickup by these inconsiderate miscreants. Almost wanted to stand up and applaud them when retrieving their items while I was sipping cocktails at pool bar. 

I am not going to argue semantics. It is my opinion that this "policy" is for public consumption but that Corporate has instructed the ships not to enforce it. It is one of the few complaints I have about Regent. The decision not to enforce is not coming from the individual ships.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Johnthesailor said:

33 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I know that if you hold a lounger by placing belongings on it for 30 minutes or more is against policy ( and selfish) but I had no idea that placing yourself ( as in “themselves” in the original quote) in a lounger for more than 30 minutes was not allowed.  Maybe that is why there is no longer a table of shame - it could not bear the weight of all those bodies.  I don’t think it is selfish to physically lie in a lounger for more than 30 minutes.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Johnthesailor said:

I know that if you hold a lounger by placing belongings on it for 30 minutes or more is against policy ( and selfish) but I had no idea that placing yourself ( as in “themselves” in the original quote) in a lounger for more than 30 minutes was not allowed.  Maybe that is why there is no longer a table of shame - it could not bear the weight of all those bodies.  I don’t think it is selfish to physically lie in a lounger for more than 30 minutes.

I can only assume Pcardad misread Johnthesailor's comment. Of course you are not limited to 30 minutes in a lounger. Absurd.

2 hours ago, NDOMA said:

I wish I had a Passages from our cruise earlier this month so I could post the wording of a daily notice requesting passengers not save the loungers. 

This is the notice that is in Passages every day here on Navigator

7DF1D4DA-7932-4A46-9E06-EDF5DB6C0C09.thumb.jpeg.c265e2b896302243cf7647981d421741.jpeg

…………… simply a request

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I am not going to argue semantics. It is my opinion that this "policy" is for public consumption but that Corporate has instructed the ships not to enforce it. It is one of the few complaints I have about Regent. The decision not to enforce is not coming from the individual ships.

I agree, and I base it on what Frank Galzy, GM of Splendor at the time, told me when I complained during a Caribbean cruise last year. 
I suggested that the Captain himself should make an announcement over the loudspeaker, I think that might give people pause to continue with this behavior 

• Like 2

Another port day today and only one couple chose to stake a claim to “their” loungers in the shade before going off on tour.

Guess who …….

881EC1A6-2F0E-4145-9016-A9F60F3B6203.thumb.jpeg.d96e9a628f3106f78a5a837661596c55.jpeg
Same loungers, same articles.
I wonder if they will actually occupy the reserved spots when they return today ?

• Like 1

Update @ 2:30 pm

Most excursions have returned.

All shaded loungers now occupied except the pair pictured in post #85 above.

One of the couple has just visited, muttered loudly about someone having moved the book (to allow for pairs of loungers to be utilised), dropped off his sunglasses & left again 🙄

………………. more later (I wonder if they read CC 😮)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Flossie, maybe Regent should hire you to be the chair hog lieutenant. 😀 You obviously have great detective and surveillance skills. Regent doesn’t seem to care about enforcing their own policy. 

Update @ 3:35 pm

They have both departed for a late lunch at the Pool Grill

………….. but of course they have left some belongings to ensure no one can make use of the loungers for what is left of the afternoon 🤨

19 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

You obviously have great detective and surveillance skills

Not difficult when you are occupying the loungers immediately behind these two miscreants.

21 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Regent doesn’t seem to care about enforcing their own policy

It should not need a policy, rules or enforcement for cruisers to think about the effect of their thoughtless actions on other’s enjoyment.
Overall it has not been a big issue this cruise, with most being respectful of other guests.

It is just both amusing and annoying to see this old couple going through the same selfish ritual each day, seemingly without thought or shame. Sad & pathetic really.

• Like 5

I am a bit surprised that there is a problem on the Navigator.  I believe that "social pressure" is greater on the smaller ships than on the larger ships.  Whatever you do or how you act toward the crew or fellow passengers, good or bad, is noted by your fellow passengers and will impact their reaction to you.  This is one of the main reasons that I prefer the Navigator.  It is a bit like being in a small town.   

I suspect with this kind of people if you suggested they were being rather selfish they would just say 'everybody could do it if they wanted to'.  Other people just don't exist in their mindset.

• Like 2

Myself. I don’t hang around the pool to much. Being from AZ I get enough of sun and water from my back yard. Hogs don’t bother me at all, but great intertainment. The pool bar is a wonderful substitution. Regent Travel Tip. Take an Alaska cruise. Not much of an issue around the pool.😎

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:35 AM, Johnthesailor said:

True. I meant that the coveted semi-private shaded loungers often had the same people or objects on them each day beginning very early a.m., with those loungers being held by the occupants for several hours as they went to lectures, lunch, tea and etc.  

We enjoy using our balcony, so it didn't irritate us, but we heard a few grumbles from others trying to find a spot to sit in the shade.