Lounge Hogs: Regent's Failure to Act or Respond

I am posting an email letter which I sent to Ms. Andrea DeMarco, President, of RSSC regarding the “lounge chair hog” issue.  It has been more than a week and I have yet to receive any acknowledgement or response.  Not responding to a valid letter from a faithful Regent Society member is inexcusable. I can only conclude the reason for no reply is that RSSC cannot defend their “do nothing” approach to the lounge chair hogs. You be the judge.  Any comments, good or bad, for or against, are welcomed. See attached email below.

Dear Ms. DeMarco:

As a Seven Seas Society Gold Tier member, I am writing to you to express my deep dissatisfaction in the manner in which RSSC is addressing the deplorable situation surrounding the “lounge deck hogs,” which is ongoing and without a foreseeable equitable solution. 

It’s difficult for me to understand how RSSC would rather alienate and disrespect the vast majority of their loyal clients who willing adhere to the rules and proper protocols established by RSSC than to confront the very small number of contemptible and self-entitled individuals who wantonly block and deny other passengers use of the shaded deck lounges by placing items on an empty unoccupied lounge bed.  This issue has been posted ad nauseam on RSSC Social Club and other social media and yet nothing has been done to correct this situation.

The often heard excuse by senior ship officers and staff for not taking any action is that it’s a “liability” issue. This is a total bogus justification and explanation to do nothing.  If proper notice is given and conspicuously posted that any property left unattended by the owner of that property that after a specific period of time the property will be removed and safeguard by a responsible crew member. The removal of any property can be witnessed and recorded by the many cameras located on the pool deck.

I have personally witness several altercations between passengers over the right to occupy the deck lounge bed. Some of these altercations were quite violent and could have led to someone getting seriously injured or perhaps worst. Ask yourself this: knowing the potential for danger and injury what “liability” would RSSC have in a legal action for failure to protect their passengers from harm?

As I have mentioned, I’m a Gold tier Seven Seas Society member working my way to Platinum status. I have 2 future cruises already booked for the end of 2024 and 2 others for early 2025. However, notwithstanding my love for cruising with Regent I would be hesitant to actually pay for these cruises if RSSC either is unable or unwilling to properly fix this lounge deck hog problem. Every passenger onboard should have an equal opportunity to enjoy the benefit of having access to the lounge deck beds.

It is respectfully requested that you provide me with what actions or corrective measures that RSSC will be taking to mitigate this untenable situation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that crew is reticent to enforce these rules lest they be verbally battered. I am an early riser and sometimes read out on deck before going to breakfast. I have seen some ‘chair hogs’ place their holders, point them out to a crew member as they slip him a tip.  Regent needs to address both of these issues. Perhaps a junior officer’s presence at ( some) times during the day would help mitigate these issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Las Vegas Sailing said:

I would be hesitant to actually pay for these cruises if RSSC either is unable or unwilling to properly fix this lounge deck hog problem.

You're not going to cruise because you can't get a lounge chair in the shade by the pool?  Why not just sit on your balcony?  That's what I do. Quieter, better view, and I have my in-room bourbon to keep me company. 

• Like 15

Deplorable might be a bit strong in the the context of world terms.  Sorry but this is a frustrating issue on most cruise lines.  We enjoy our balcony and go with the flow when it comes to finding a lounge chair on deck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Las Vegas Sailing said:

The often heard excuse by senior ship officers and staff for not taking any action is that it’s a “liability” issue. This is a total bogus justification and explanation to do nothing.  

While I agree there is a chair hog problem, I would be very surprised if your rather arrogant letter stating that you know Regent's legal risk better than they do and demanding an explanation of why they won't do things your way, gets any result.

On a recent Oceania cruise I was told by ship's GM that NCLH legal counsel has forbidden any enforcement by removal of valuables. This applies to all NCL, Regent and Oceania ships. Result of a lawsuit settlement with a passenger who had valuables damaged or destroyed during the enforcement process. 

• Like 5

Regent doesn’t care.

A simple solution would be to post the rules and put them in the cruise contract and the safety video.  If somebody breaks them they get a warning, if they do it a second time they are removed from the ship.  No removing valuables and clear cut consequences.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, edgee said:

Result of a lawsuit settlement with a passenger who had valuables damaged or destroyed during the enforcement process. 

This leaves me scratching my head.  Who would leave something valuable unattended in a deck chair? Seems like someone wanted to get litigious.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

This was a very serious problem on our recent Grandeur cruise. Chairs were held with books, caps, flip flops, and like items. The norm was that all loungers in the shaded areas were taken by 6am.

All that was needed was an officer posted on each side of the pool deck from approx 5:00am to “remind” passengers that they were not permitted to leave their items unattended.

Edited by kjbacon
  • Like 2

Most (all?) items left on loungers are NOT in the valuable category, unless the book is a priceless manuscript 😀. So Regent’s liability may be minimal.

I agree OP’s letter may have been so arrogant as to be ignored. But a word while onboard, stressing satisfying the majority at the risk of offending the minority , might be more successful in dedicating a staff member to “police” the area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think its difficult to ask the staff to "police" the people who are going to review them and impact their job status and compensation.  Senior management should get involved and enforce the rules.  There are rules right?

We're with the folks above just go to your balcony, much nicer than being jammed in like sardines.

• Like 5

I don't really understand a policy of not removing passenger property that is left unattended. Does it mean that if I left my mobile on a table in CR it would not be removed by staff and left somewhere secure, or returned to my cabin? Would the same apply to a bag I left on a tender? 

• Like 5

Staff monitoring works only if it's done consistently and ruthlessly, until it doesn't, and it only takes once. I still vote for humorous public shaming about it, any time passengers are gathered: before shows, on PA messages, in Passages sidebar alerts, etc. If it's presented as shameful maybe one will at least think twice about being that person.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I am 100% certain that Management on the ship enforces the rules they are told to enforce.

This is, unfortunately, not the case.  Below is a portion of an email I received from Mike Moore, Vice President eCommerce, on January 4, 2004 before he left his position at Regent:

Thank you for the email, that is in fact the policy, so we'll be sure to ask all of the ships to reference this policy in both Passages and signage on the pool deck in hopes to remind all guests to use common courtesy.

We were on the Grandeur for 32 days in January and February where there was no enforcement of the above referenced policy.  Written comment on the mid-segment survey and a request at the front desk for management to contact me elicited no response.

Company policy was not followed.  By all appearances they just don't care.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

This is, unfortunately, not the case.  Below is a portion of an email I received from Mike Moore, Vice President eCommerce, on January 4, 2004 before he left his position at Regent:

Thank you for the email, that is in fact the policy, so we'll be sure to ask all of the ships to reference this policy in both Passages and signage on the pool deck in hopes to remind all guests to use common courtesy.

We were on the Grandeur for 32 days in January and February where there was no enforcement of the above referenced policy.  Written comment on the mid-segment survey and a request at the front desk for management to contact me elicited no response.

Company policy was not followed.  By all appearances they just don't care.

Well, what can I say. They may be telling you it is policy but the ships' staff may be told to not enforce it. They are not mutually exclusive. I suspect this is a "suggestion" for the guests rather than something Regent considers a rule. The evidence is that they do not enforce it. Don't you really think Regent would be all over the GM's if Regent WANTED this enforced? The GM's are doing exactly what Regent wants done.

• Like 1

It's an unenforced policy, a policy stated in a 20 year-old letter. My expectations are adjusted, and I plan accordingly. 

The chairs at the pool bar are always shaded. Just sayin'. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The evidence is that they do not enforce it. Don't you really think Regent would be all over the GM's if Regent WANTED this enforced? The GM's are doing exactly what Regent wants done.

I agree; however, if what you say is true why do they publish the following in Passages?

DECK CHAIRS & POOLSIDE ETIQUETTE
Complimentary chaise lounges and extra-large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests on board and are available on a first come, first served basis. As a courtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. If your personal items are left unattended for an extended period of time they will be sent to Reception for you to collect at your leisure.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -Lew- said:

I agree; however, if what you say is true why do they publish the following in Passages?

Complimentary chaise lounges and extra-large towels are provided for the use and enjoyment of all guests on board and are available on a first come, first served basis. As a courtesy to your fellow guests, we kindly request that you refrain from the practice of reserving chaise lounges and day beds with personal items. If your personal items are left unattended for an extended period of time they will be sent to Reception for you to collect at your leisure.

To dissuade people from doing it. 

It's been my experience that the average Regent guest is not the type who's used to hearing "no." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Because Regent considers it a suggestion and they hope that the guests are civilized and will follow the "guidelines". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GMIAC said:

To dissuade people from doing it. 

It's been my experience that the average Regent guest is not the type who's used to hearing "no." 

Being able to afford the cruise doesn't make you special, it just means you can afford it...you have to earn respect by being a decent human being.

• Like 10

I will make an assumption that the ship has folks that are security, not just staff.  Put them in a red shirt with the word security on their back in big letters and folks may actually follow the rules!  Just a thought.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I will make an assumption that the ship has folks that are security, not just staff.  Put them in a red shirt with the word security on their back in big letters and folks may actually follow the rules!  Just a thought.  

There are 4 security officers on board. The question is not how to enforce but making the choice to enforce at all.