Lounge Hogs: Regent's Failure to Act or Respond

Depending upon where you are anchored or tied-up, one's balcony could be in full sun all day.  Also, I'm not being offered foo-foo umbrella drinks on my balcony.  Maybe they could start taking and delivering drink orders via drone for those passengers forced to use their balcony.😃

• Like 2

Sometimes one must just accept that things are simply not the way one wishes they were.  For whatever reason, cruise lines, including Regent, have decided that they will not enforce their "no reserving pool lounge" policies.  This has been a problem for so long and there have been so many complaints about the issue.  If they haven't decided to enforce their policy by now, it's very unlikely that they ever will.  For the sake of one's blood pressure, this is a case where the adage to "accept the things one cannot change" comes into play.  Or perhaps this is a more fitting quote...

Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.
(Denis Waitley)

Yes it's surrender, but sometimes surrendering to reality is the best course of action.  Still, for those who are determined to continue the good fight - I wish you well🤞

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.
(Denis Waitley)

Yes it's surrender, but sometimes surrendering to reality is the best course of action.  Still, for those who are determined to continue the good fight - I wish you well🤞

If that were the Case the Stars and Stripes would still be the Union Jack just saying.

What may change it is many turn in the mid cruise review and complain about the chair hogging.  But I still prefer a harsh penalty for repeat offenders.  

Image result for walk the plank meme

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Depending upon where you are anchored or tied-up, one's balcony could be in full sun all day.  Also, I'm not being offered foo-foo umbrella drinks on my balcony.  Maybe they could start taking and delivering drink orders via drone for those passengers forced to use their balcony.😃

If you call room service you can have all the foo foo umbrella drinks your heart desires delivered to your room.  Or.... have the cabin steward or butler put the right ingredients in your cabin, and have your spouse or significant other simply mix and  deliver the drink to your balcony wearing nothing but a smile!  Won't get that on the pool deck. 😜

But is a deck chair really worth all the attention it gets?  People are entitled, rude, ignorant, and just plain selfish.  It's no different anywhere else.  

For the record, I agree that "stuff" needs to be moved after 30 min. (or so).  And personally I hate entitled, rude, ignorant, and just plain selfish people too.  So public shaming is absolutely fine with me.  But heck... I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Because Regent considers it a suggestion and they hope that the guests are civilized and will follow the "guidelines". 

We only have laws for the worst people in society.  And we have seen when laws and rules aren’t enforced there are those who will take advantage of it.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

People are entitled, rude, ignorant, and just plain selfish.  It's no different anywhere else.  

For the record, I agree that "stuff" needs to be moved after 30 min. (or so).  And personally I hate entitled, rude, ignorant, and just plain selfish people too.  So public shaming is absolutely fine with me.  But heck... I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. 

I have to agree - I just avoid those situations.  No Caribbean cruises for me - I live there so no need and I have a nice deck overlooking the ocean.   My adult kids keep trying to get me to go to WDW - Nope not gonna happen.  I did have fun playing Karen in Santorini when people kept trying to cut in the gondola line.  One group tried to just budge there way up saying they had tickets and even though they insisted and pretended not to speak English.  I told them they are going to have to go through me.  Finally, they got it when I said "No manches"  

But alas they were a few of many.

• Like 2

papaflamingo and Lonedaddy have encapsulated the best stragegy re: Chair Hogs. 

Probably preaching to the Choir on this one--but will repeat it as a cautionary tale.

Witnessed a Pool Hog situation between the offender and the offendee (sp).  That was on Voyager, pre-Pandemic.  Provided more details in two or three previous Posts on other Threads.  A verbal exchange; leading to a physical fight; which led to both protagonists being thrown off Voyager at the next Port with an airport.  

An admonition near and dear to military kin applicable to this apparently unsolvable reality:  Pick the hill you are willing to die on.

Confronting a Pool Hog ain't that hill.  

Do not get personally involved in any confrontation/altercation at the Pool area either pool-side, or Bar-side (or anywhere else, BTW) with anyone, for any reason. 

Walk away. If necessary, report the situation ASAP to Guest Services for referral to Management. 

Second papaflamingo's alternative: Repair to another area with book and beverage. 

GOARMY!

• Like 7

I fear this situation will not change any time soon for two main reasons - staff do not like to be involved in any possible unpleasantness, and it can happen that staff receive a crafty tip for ignoring the rule for certain very self-important and selfish passengers.  I would like to think that this does not happen, but it does, at least occasionally.

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Is there any way that Regent can provide more shade on the pool deck? Maybe some kind of riff on one of those wedding  tents?

If they did people would probably complain there isn't enough sunny areas to lounge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

I fear this situation will not change any time soon for two main reasons - staff do not like to be involved in any possible unpleasantness, and it can happen that staff receive a crafty tip for ignoring the rule for certain very self-important and selfish passengers.  I would like to think that this does not happen, but it does, at least occasionally.

There is only a single reason. Regent staff on board ships have been told by corporate NOT to enforce this. Had they been told, to they would do so and looking the other way for a tip would result in immediate dismissal. 

• Like 3

Apologies if so - I have been wasting my dollars giving those large tips then (Joke).  I had understood that on some ships at some times the staff had been enforcing the rules; maybe I am wrong.

29 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Apologies if so - I have been wasting my dollars giving those large tips then (Joke).  I had understood that on some ships at some times the staff had been enforcing the rules; maybe I am wrong.

I can't reply directly without over-sharing but if Corporate wanted it done, it would be done.

4 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Is there any way that Regent can provide more shade on the pool deck? Maybe some kind of riff on one of those wedding  tents?

I never saw a shortage of shady chairs on deck 12, above the pool deck, under the shade canopies. They actually looked more comfortable and peaceful. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

There is only a single reason. Regent staff on board ships have been told by corporate NOT to enforce this. Had they been told, to they would do so and looking the other way for a tip would result in immediate dismissal. 

I am quite sure that you're right. Is there a breaking point when the "oh well.. just sit on your cabin balcony and drink" people will have enough? What is important to some is of no interest to others. What if on your cruise there was not only no favorite bourbon onboard (no shaded deck chairs) but no bourbon onboard at all because all of the bourbon had been consumed? Would "oh well" you can just grab your favorite bottle at the next port and use that on your cabin balcony work?  This ongoing problem is not a good look for the company or the type of clientele.

• Like 1

Yes we found plenty of places to sit on the upper deck and it’s quieter and you can look out to sea ( this was on Grandeur in Feb in the Caribbean. The shaded cabanas in deck 11 were either empty with items left on, or occupied by elderly people fast asleep 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fizzy said:

I am quite sure that you're right. Is there a breaking point when the "oh well.. just sit on your cabin balcony and drink" people will have enough? What is important to some is of no interest to others. What if on your cruise there was not only no favorite bourbon onboard (no shaded deck chairs) but no bourbon onboard at all because all of the bourbon had been consumed? Would "oh well" you can just grab your favorite bottle at the next port and use that on your cabin balcony work?  This ongoing problem is not a good look for the company or the type of clientele.

No argument from me - I agree. The entitled should get a very abrupt wake-up call.

22 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If you call room service you can have all the foo foo umbrella drinks your heart desires delivered to your room.  Or.... have the cabin steward or butler put the right ingredients in your cabin, and have your spouse or significant other simply mix and  deliver the drink to your balcony wearing nothing but a smile!  Won't get that on the pool deck. 😜

My spouse and I are of the age, "wearing nothing but a smile" (for either one of us) would put us off alcohol forever.  But thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks to all for your comments regarding my “lounge chair hogs” post.  I would like to add a few additional viewpoints.

Point one: A simple analogy. The chair hogs are nothing more than the classical school yard bully. Unless Regent (not fellow passengers) confronts them they will continue their bad behavior. To acquiesce to them only empowers them.

Point two: There is the matter of principle.  Principles Matter.  Why should people who have absolute disregard for their fellow passengers be given any consideration. The notion we should just “surrender” to these hogs is unacceptable to me.

Point three:  You cannot let RSSC off the hook.  No amount of polite persuasion is going to work with them because it hasn’t worked in the past.  In my opinion, RSSC has, at minimum, been negligent in not taking action to correct this problem. Shame on them.  Funny how a pair of sunglasses or a paperback book left on a lounge chair can prevent RSSC from taking care of a problem.  RSSC must be held accountable.

And yes, I know, I can cruise on another cruise line if I don’t like the way RSSC is handling this problem, but that’s not the issue is it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Las Vegas Sailing said:

Thanks to all for your comments regarding my “lounge chair hogs” post.  I would like to add a few additional viewpoints.

Point one: A simple analogy. The chair hogs are nothing more than the classical school yard bully. Unless Regent (not fellow passengers) confronts them they will continue their bad behavior. To acquiesce to them only empowers them.

Point two: There is the matter of principle.  Principles Matter.  Why should people who have absolute disregard for their fellow passengers be given any consideration. The notion we should just “surrender” to these hogs is unacceptable to me.

Point three:  You cannot let RSSC off the hook.  No amount of polite persuasion is going to work with them because it hasn’t worked in the past.  In my opinion, RSSC has, at minimum, been negligent in not taking action to correct this problem. Shame on them.  Funny how a pair of sunglasses or a paperback book left on a lounge chair can prevent RSSC from taking care of a problem.  RSSC must be held accountable.

And yes, I know, I can cruise on another cruise line if I don’t like the way RSSC is handling this problem, but that’s not the issue is it!

A. Agree.

B. There is a difference between surrendering and choosing not to fight. 

C. The only way to hold Regent accountable is to call/write or spend your money elsewhere.

I have, for some time, encouraged people to call Corporate. It is much harder to ignore a call than it is to ignore a letter.

What’s the phone number? I don’t want to talk to someone in sales or customer service. We need someone who can make a difference and hopefully someone who cares.

3 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

What’s the phone number? I don’t want to talk to someone in sales or customer service. We need someone who can make a difference and hopefully someone who cares.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Marketing Contacts

Contacts (5/13)

Name Title State
Andrea D. President FL
Sample of Related Brands
Email: *****@*******.***
Main Phone: (954) 776-6123
  • Like 1

Just came off of 19 nights on Voyager.  Chair hogs weren't an issue at all.  Of course, we were cruising in the Antarctic, so that may have had some bearing on it.  🙂

But if you're counting on people to act respectful to their fellow passengers, all I can say is "good luck".  Civility is dying.

I'd like to see each cabin equipped with some sort of timer device similar to the European parking placards, something with your cabin number and a 30-minute pop-up flag.  Clip it to your lounger and set it for 30 minutes, if the flag pops your stuff gets removed.  Probably unworkable, I'm sure - but until you deal with people's inherent @$$holiness, well, what else can you do?

In 123 nights on board, I've encountered this on several occasions and it's definitely an annoyance - but I wouldn't let it be my deciding factor on which cruise line to book because, well, I'm pretty sure it's an issue on ANY cruise line that has more passengers than shady loungers...

• Like 2