Struggling with Mazatlan!!!

mitsugirly

I am struggling so hard with what to do in this port and we are days away from sailing. I have never been here before. Was originally going to go over to Deer Island but the people at Aqua Sports was talking to me and all the way up to my "How do I book and confirm" reply...then crickets. They totally stopped responding. 

Now I am at a loss. I'm really not too interested in the way Stone Island looks like so unsure about that. We really aren't "tour" type of people and seeing the sites (unless it's a land vacation and we can see all the sites). (But might have to settle for this and have a few bored teens). We like to stay active with things like atv's/buggies, ziplining, snorkeling, walking rain forest tours or waterfalls and so on. 

Has anyone done any of these things here (if they even have them here) or have any other suggestions? (Or even convince me why I should do a regular tour like Freddy's or go to Stone Island). I do extensive reviews and like to make them interesting or even visit new places that cruisers haven't done before and want to. 

I'm ready to send SOS smoke signals at this point...send HELP!!! 😄

Posted (edited)

Hi, here's a repost of my comment on a great tour in Mazatlan (the first time we were there - on a cruise a couple years ago.  We spent 12 days there this past year in a hotel since we found out we really like Mazatlan.)

"We've used johann & sandra tours in Mazatlan to go see the oceanside petroglyph park and a home cooked meal with a local family. Google Las Labradas tour.  We went with them March 2020 just before Covid shut everyone down. We had a great time with a professor guide and student assistant."  

The Petroglyphs on the seashore were awesome, also a little museum there to go thru.

UNESCO website on the site:  https://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5785/

Edited by canadjineh
added UNESCO info.

Posted (edited)

Sometimes boredom can create learning opportunities. If you were just to go to the old town AKA Centro area (walkable via the "Blue Line") your teens could see the Catedral Basílica de la Inmaculada Concepción (Cathedral). While there, you could challenge them to find the thing that this Cathedral has that no other Cathedral in the world has (hint - it's in the stained glass windows). After that, you could walk over to the Mercado Pino Suarez Mazatlán (central market). Take them all the way to the far back corner for a real eye opener (it's where the butchers display their offerings). We're not talking rib-eye's and boneless chicken breasts here. Then, maybe a walk over to the Malecon to watch the cliff divers. Granted - it's not the famous Acapulco ones, but good enough. On the way back to the ship, if you still have enough energy, you can climb the steps up to the old light house for a great view. You can always save your legs a little by grabbing a Mazatlan Pulmonia (another completely unique experience) to get from place to place.

You can also look at Johann & Sandra Mazatlan for some of those heart pounding tours. They have a great reputation.

Edited by SDPadreFan

Posted (edited)

Last time I was in Mazatlan we went fishing with Bibi Fleet.  They picked us up and the port and brought us back.  Probably would want at least an 8 hour port stop to do it.  Caught stripped marlin and tuna! Really, it was a great trip!

We have a Mexican Riviera cruise next March but only 7 hours in port so I'm going to have to go a different direction.

https://www.fishmazatlan.com/index.php

Edited by chill6x6

Here's what I wrote in another similar thread re: Mazatlan. Obviously, this wouldn't necessarily suit your needs, but:

While my wife and older daughter did a tour (via NCL excursion), my other daughter and I took a cab to Joe's Oyster Bar and set up on the beach there. We rented a table, umbrella and four chairs on the beach for $20 (US) and then rented a jet ski from one of the guys ($90 for 30 minutes) on the beach. We also ate there (solid, but not spectacular). Good beach, good waves, good place. If that's your sort of thing, it was a solid stop. Everyone was friendly and, to me anyway, weren't looking to rip me off. Even the cab rides (along the Malecon and through historic district) were interesting.

On 4/11/2024 at 6:33 PM, mitsugirly said:

We have already went on our cruise last week. I won’t need suggestions (of course this doesn’t mean you can’t keep suggesting for others to read going here) 😁

What did you end up doing?

On 4/16/2024 at 2:38 PM, mkcurran said:

What did you end up doing?

I got frustrated at trying to find something and my daughter decided she wanted to go to the Aquarium. So we went there and then walked around by the cliff divers area after that. The teens was 100% not interested in any tours. lol

• Like 1