What I Didn’t See on Ruby Princess

57eric

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

Still love the carbonara pasta in Sabatini’s. Always have it on embarkation night

I don’t eat pork or beef which is why I don’t care for their new menu.  They used to make a delicious filet of sole with a lemon sauce.  They changed over to branzini (sp?) and it’s just not good, IMO.  I also loved their fondue soup and think that has gone by the wayside, as well.  
I am going to try the chicken scaloppini next month, though.  I’ve heard it’s quite good.  I will report back! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t eat pork or beef which is why I don’t care for their new menu.  They used to make a delicious filet of sole with a lemon sauce.  They changed over to branzini (sp?) and it’s just not good, IMO.  I also loved their fondue soup and think that has gone by the wayside, as well.  
I am going to try the chicken scaloppini next month, though.  I’ve heard it’s quite good.  I will report back! 

The pasta portions are so large I just skip the mains to have room for the great desserts 

31 minutes ago, rockraiders said:

I just go with the flow and have a good time. All these complaints seem a little petty to me. 

I didn't get the sense that the OP was complaining so much as remarking. I found the post very helpful in expectation setting for my upcoming Enchanted Princess sailing.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, 57eric said:

I recently returned from the 14 Night Circle Caribbean voyage on Ruby Princess.  Hats off to Princess for the ship’s layout, décor, condition, crew and itinerary.

This was only my second Princess trip, and first since 2017, so I’m no expert and expecting to be corrected on some of the following observations.

I didn’t see:

• ·         Future MD dinner menus on the app.  I spoke to two dining room managers early in the cruise.  Both confirmed that this wasn’t right and both promised to address it.  Nothing ever happened.   Only the current day’s menu appeared, regardless of which date you were pulling up.

• ·         Trash receptacles in public areas.   If you had something to throw away, you could go to your cabin, go to a public restroom, or leave it for a crew member to pick up.
  •  

• ·         A drop box at guest services.  I had three forms to turn in.  Each time I had to hand it to someone at the desk.  A drop box seems like a no brainer.  Shore Excursions, Future Cruise Sales and the Wake Show each have one.

• ·         A repeat performance by mentalist/illusionist Julien Losa.  Mr. Losa was introduced as the resident on board magician.  He performed a spectacular act on day 5 and never appeared again.  The implication was that he is a regular crew member.  Recall that this was a 14 day cruise.

• ·         The principal enrichment speaker, after the third sea day.  Pat McCormack was lined up to speak on each of the five sea days but vanished after three lectures.

• ·         A filled time slot for Sabatini’s.  While the Crown Grill was essentially booked solid on the app prior to sailing, Sabatini’s never showed a single time slot unavailable.   This is a mystery to me as they seem to be equally popular and have roughly the same capacity.

• ·         Paper napkins.  I exclude cocktail napkins here, and I don’t expect to see any in the MDRs.  However, at the buffet and the deck eateries there were cloth napkins with cutlery or nothing.  Maybe it’s just me, but I like to be able to wipe my fingers when eating handheld foods and prefer not to do it on the napkin in my lap.  Using a second cloth napkin and cutlery set seems very wasteful.

• ·         Information about when to begin setting luggage out for disembarkation.  OK, a minor point.  People were setting bags out hours before the crew begin removing them.  How hard would it be to indicate a start time in the instructions?

Most ships do not have public trash cans except in restrooms & cabins...I find it an oddity but I suppose it forces them to clean things up that are left.

I suspect an illusionist is not a regular crew member; often then come in for one show (or 2 in a night), get off at the next port & head to another ship.

I suspect the enrichment speaker got ill.

Did you go to Sabatinis? I often find they have openings if we ask personally.

Paper napkins are FAR more wasteful than cloth--they add to the landfill! Saves them a lot of money as well. You aren't really "wasting" a cutlery set--it simply needs to be washed again. 

I have never seen a start time on when people should put their luggage out...I have often done it before dinner the last day as I know we won't be back in the room before it has to be out, which might seem early to some.

Edited by KKB

13 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I didn't get the sense that the OP was complaining so much as remarking. I found the post very helpful in expectation setting for my upcoming Enchanted Princess sailing.

Glad to hear you are going to give Princess a try again! Your experience on the Emerald had me drop our Emerald reservation last year--ended up snagging a great deal in Retreat on the Beyond, so it was a win-win!

I do think that experience on the Emerald was a one-off for Princess--hopefully this one will be more up to their standards!

6 hours ago, skynight said:

" It made me laugh at myself when I mentioned there were no longer kiosks where I could print out my folio."

There were two of them on deck 6, one on each side across from the stores near the Piazza stairs.

Not only are there still kiosks but, at least on our recent Grand Princess trip, the printout was on "real" paper rather than the horrible thermal print paper they use to have. It was a pleasant surprise. (It was especially pleasant when I looked at it and realized we still had over $600 refundable OBC left. 😁)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 57eric said:

A repeat performance by mentalist/illusionist Julien Losa.  Mr. Losa was introduced as the resident on board magician.  He performed a spectacular act on day 5 and never appeared again.  The implication was that he is a regular crew member.  Recall that this was a 14 day cruise.

His disappearing act is second to none!

• Haha 3