Sydney or Tokyo?

Finally have it narrowed down to a last minute cruise and would appreciate any input on either itinerary/plans as I need to make a decision quickly now before they are gone.  They are both very cheap right now, with Tokyo a bit cheaper.  Will be traveling solo, interior cabin.

1) Sydney to Vancouver - Majestic Princess - 30 days ($1650 base) - Flight LAX to HNL ($250)  1-2 day stay ($400??) - HNL to SYD ($250) overnight in SYD possibly (??) then cruise - main attraction is the several stops in NZ, don't really care about the rest and concerned about the # of days at sea.

2) Vancouver to Tokyo - NCL Spirit - 18 days ($900 base) - Flight LAX to YVR ($200) after cruise stay a couple nights in Tokyo for sightseeing ($400??) - then Tokyo to HNL ($250) - 1-2 days HNL ($400??)  - HNL to LAX.($250) - did AK cruise 2 yrs ago and want to go back, very interested in seeing Japan especially in Spring, even though a little late.

I don't drink so don't care about drink/SD packages.

47 minutes ago, kbconthemove said:

Finally have it narrowed down to a last minute cruise and would appreciate any input on either itinerary/plans as I need to make a decision quickly now before they are gone.  They are both very cheap right now, with Tokyo a bit cheaper.  Will be traveling solo, interior cabin.

1) Sydney to Vancouver - Majestic Princess - 30 days ($1650 base) - Flight LAX to HNL ($250)  1-2 day stay ($400??) - HNL to SYD ($250) overnight in SYD possibly (??) then cruise - main attraction is the several stops in NZ, don't really care about the rest and concerned about the # of days at sea.

2) Vancouver to Tokyo - NCL Spirit - 18 days ($900 base) - Flight LAX to YVR ($200) after cruise stay a couple nights in Tokyo for sightseeing ($400??) - then Tokyo to HNL ($250) - 1-2 days HNL ($400??)  - HNL to LAX.($250) - did AK cruise 2 yrs ago and want to go back, very interested in seeing Japan especially in Spring, even though a little late.

I don't drink so don't care about drink/SD packages.

At any cruise price, there’s no contest. IMO, Sydney is a far better land visit than Tokyo. Tokyo is huge and there are a few good museums that set it apart if you’re into Asian history. Otherwise, it’s just another large/overcrowded (and VERY expensive) metropolis. Sydney, on the other hand, is a beautiful city that is far more interesting and “user friendly” in many ways.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the input - I have always wanted to go to Aus/NZ, but would want a lot more time to really tour it - but... now being old and poor, this may not be realistic, so thinking this would give me a chance to at least see it in case I never make it back down there and just deal with the sea days sitting and watching the ocean go by.

As for Japan, it is the only Asian country I have any interest in ever seeing so thought this might be a good cheap way to see it.

Is the main point of your travel to get to Sydney (or Tokyo)? Or is it the cruises themselves? Without knowing your full itineraries, number of sea days, other ports, etc. it is very hard to make any kind of recommendation.

As for the two cities themselves (since that is your title question), I would vote for Tokyo over Sydney. Yes Sydney is a pretty city but it's in a country that, in many ways is not so strikingly different from the US. (English speaking, former British colony, Western traditions, etc. etc.) Whereas Tokyo is completely different. I find Japanese history fascinating. I enjoy the culture, food, traditions, art, architecture. 

But someone else (including the poster above) will have a completely different take. In the end you have to decide based on what interests you. If you could only ever get to one of them, which would you be more sorry to have missed?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is the main point of your travel to get to Sydney (or Tokyo)? Or is it the cruises themselves? Without knowing your full itineraries, number of sea days, other ports, etc. it is very hard to make any kind of recommendation.

As for the two cities themselves (since that is your title question), I would vote for Tokyo over Sydney. Yes Sydney is a pretty city but it's in a country that, in many ways is not so strikingly different from the US. (English speaking, former British colony, Western traditions, etc. etc.) Whereas Tokyo is completely different. I find Japanese history fascinating. I enjoy the culture, food, traditions, art, architecture. 

But someone else (including the poster above) will have a completely different take. In the end you have to decide based on what interests you. If you could only ever get to one of them, which would you be more sorry to have missed?

Thank you for the thoughtful input and I agree with you completely as to evaluating the purpose of the cruise and more details on it.

I would love to visit Aus & NZ and always have, but also feel I would prefer a ground tour to actually see them.  The only reason I would consider this cruise is the 5 days in NZ ports, but really only leave out of Sydney.  The cruise is 30 days, of which 19 are at sea - which interests me, but maybe because I'm a novice cruiser.

As for the Tokyo cruise it's 18 days through Alaska which I would like to see again and then 3 port days in Japan.  I would love to make it to Japan for the cherry blossoms, but the timing will be a little late for that.  Japan is the only Asian country I have any interest in seeing.

I personally would pick Tokyo over Sydney any day.  Have been to both, and there is far more in Tokyo and surrounding metro area that I want to see.

I would be adding time in Japan and visiting other cities as well.

If you do go to Sydney, don't miss doing the Sydney Bridge Climb.  Spectacular and not to be missed.  If I only had one day in Sydney in the future again, I would spend it doing the Bridge Climb.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, kbconthemove said:

Thank you for the input - I have always wanted to go to Aus/NZ, but would want a lot more time to really tour it - but... now being old and poor, this may not be realistic, so thinking this would give me a chance to at least see it in case I never make it back down there and just deal with the sea days sitting and watching the ocean go by.

As for Japan, it is the only Asian country I have any interest in ever seeing so thought this might be a good cheap way to see it.

I've been to both cities. Sydney as described above is certainly more user friendly which is to be expected in any place where everyone speaks English and you can read the signs. Otherwise it's just another English-speaking city among many. 

But if you've never been to Japan and have an interest then I would definitely take that option. It is a fascinating city, with a very different culture, history and things to see and do. I have zero interest in going back to Sydney but would return to Tokyo.   

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

Been to both ports a number of times and Sydney is a vastly superior arrival/departure.

Weather - probably a better chance of better weather on the Sydney to Vancouver than Vancouver to Tokyo.

Cruise Line - Princess would be the lesser of the 2 evils, compared to NCL. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kbconthemove said:

The only reason I would consider this cruise is the 5 days in NZ ports

Our NZ-SYD cruise out of Auckland had to skip something like four out of seven ports due to severe weather. So if seeing NZ is a high priority, it's best to consider more of a land tour than a cruise 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Our NZ-SYD cruise out of Auckland had to skip something like four out of seven ports due to severe weather. So if seeing NZ is a high priority, it's best to consider more of a land tour than a cruise 

Thank you!  I have read that this has happened a fair amount and is def a concern for me

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

At any cruise price, there’s no contest. IMO, Sydney is a far better land visit than Tokyo. Tokyo is huge and there are a few good museums that set it apart if you’re into Asian history. Otherwise, it’s just another large/overcrowded (and VERY expensive) metropolis. Sydney, on the other hand, is a beautiful city that is far more interesting and “user friendly” in many ways.  

Over the years, I've spent probably the equivalent of a few months in each - Sydney and Tokyo. I'm not so sure I agree with your sentiment about Tokyo. They're both fantastic cities and you can't go wrong with either. Yes, Tokyo is absolutely massive, but but calling it "just another" metropolis is a bit unfair. The crowds of humanity on their own are a sight to see and something you can't even find in, say, Shanghai or Delhi or Dhaka. 

But aside from the "few" good museums (I would argue there are more than a few) you have the beauty of the Imperial Palace and the Meiji Shrine, the evening views from the Tokyo Tower or the endless urban mazes, the craziness of Shinjuku, the peacefulness of Yoyogi Park or Ueno Park, the uniqueness of Akihabara at night. And the food...my god the food. Endless amazing ramen, sushi, udon, yakitori, donburi and more. And it's all connected through an amazing network of public transit with which Sydney just can't compare. 

Sydney is amazing (though I personally prefer Melbourne), but Tokyo is just on a whole different level. Both are great choices. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Both are great choices.

Agree, IMO both are world class destinations. 

If you prefer touring and vacationing some of the great cities in the world Tokyo is one of my favorites and this trip would be a great choice.   I enjoyed my business trips to Tokyo so I booked a two week land based trip to Tokyo and other parts of Japan.  I could spend a month or more and be perfectly happy and never run out of interesting things to do. 

If you prefer scenic beauty and nature the Sydney, NZ trip is one of the best.   DW and some friends did this trip in 2019 and loved it.   Sydney is a beautiful city and the sail out is one of the best in the world.  The southern Fiords in NZ are amazingly beautiful and the port stops heading north towards Auckland are some of my personal favorites.  Tahiti and particularly Moorea are stunning is their own right and also have one of the best sail in / sail outs in the world.  Sailing north out of Moorea toward Hawaii is one of the most beautiful sights I have seen and will be etched in my mind forever. 

If I had to pick one it would be the SYD-YVR trans pacific since I enjoy scenic beauty and nature more than cities.  

Let us know what you prefer and what you decide. 

Edited by symui
typo

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CHPURSER said:

If you are a Foodie, Tokyo alone has more Michelin Starred Restaurants than all of France and America combined.

If you are a Street Foodie you may never see the inside of a Michelin Starred Restaurant. Amazing street food in Tokyo. 

Edited by K32682

I did finally decide on Tokyo, but that is out now as the NCL rep I've been dealing with and last communicated with a couple hours ago just emailed me and said the solo rooms are now sold out so I'll have to pay for a double room - even though he was supposedly holding me a solo room until tomorrow.

Oh well.. guess I'm not meant to go on a cruise right now.

I would close this topic, but have no idea how.

9 hours ago, CHPURSER said:

It si not exactly street food, but there are even 3 Michelin Star Noodle Shops in Tokyo. 

Those three recently lost their star. They now just have the "bib gourmand" recommendation.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/tokyos-three-michelin-starred-ramen-restaurants-all-lost-their-stars-in-the-2024-guide-022624